Planning the PERFECT trip - stress along with me!

So, in case I didn't mention it, I am a teacher. :teacher: We are given 3 personal days and several sick days each year, but no vacation time (aside from school vacations). So, in order to go on our trip this May, I was banking on some things falling into place...and let's just say they fell all OVER the place! Our travel dates are 5/25 - 5/31. We are off 5/29, 5/30 and 5/31 for the Memorial Day Weekend. I requested personal days for 5/26 and 5/27. That leaves two dates...and two sources of stress - 5/25 and 5/28.

Stress Case #1 - our departure date 5/25. Our flight was originally at 6:20 pm...leaving plenty of time for me to work a full day and leave at dismissal. However, as you read earlier in this thread, our flight was changed to 12:30 and we needed to book another flight with Airtran. This flight leaves at 4:20. We are 1 1/2 hrs from the airport, and we should be at the airport 1 1/2 hours before departure time. So, we need to leave our area at 1:20! So, now I have to cash in on some favors with colleagues to cover my classes as of 1 pm. Problem solved. We do that kind of thing for one another all the time. However, I am telling you this because it affects my "OUT" for 5/28.

Stress Case #2 - Our school calendar has 2 snow days built in. If we don't use our snow days, we get the Friday before Memorial Day off (5/28). :banana: Well, last week we got hit with over 2 feet of snow and used BOTH snow days in the same week. :sad2: So, how do I get out of work on Friday???? I have no more personal days (I used 1 to see the boys in their Halloween Parade back in October). I cant call out sick because you are not 'allowed' to use sick days for vacations. If they found out, I could be in big trouble. :scared1: If I am leaving early on Tuesday the administration is bound to know I am going away. So, I know my only choice is totell he truth :hippie: I have to talk to my principal and tell him exactly what happened. I then have to request a personal day with no pay. Then it goes to the Board of Ed for approval. I am nervous that (1) they won't approve it or (2) they will fire me! According to our contract, you can't take personal days before or after a holiday to extend the holiday time. So, they don't have to approve it. I was thinking of waiting until I get my contract for next year, but they don't have to do that until 5/15! In addition, I have not yet been evaluated for this year. I don't want to give anyone an excuse to give me a poor review either. I feel like bringing my marriage license to the Board of Ed myself and telling them 10 years is a big accomplishment...5/28 is our ACTUAL anniversary and tht is the date I need off. What do I do??? Do I just call out sick after all and hope no one asks? I kind of think it is more risky to tell the truth!

Great finds at Michael's & Five Below ! In fact I may just have to go to Michael's & check it out , I would also love to checkout Five Below but we are without one here .

Sorry to here about all the problems with your vacation dates & times :( I don't really know what to tell you to do but I'm sure things will work out & everything will be just fine :)

With all the time spent on this computer :surfweb: setting up ADRs, I lost track of which ADRs were linked to which phone number and had to call Disney Dining to get it all straightened out. Turns out I had the CM scrolling to get thru all the ADRs I had set up. :rolleyes1 Goes to show that Disney needs to work on that system a bit more...to let you know when you already have an ADR for a particular day so you don't end up with FIVE! :scared1: YES, I had FIVE ADRs for a single day of our trip. And, they never showed up in my inbox, so I had no ressie number to check with my phone number. The online system requires BOTH a phone number AND a ressie number to pull up the ADR for cancellation. Well, it is a good thing I called I guess.

So, here's how it stands now...

Day 1 - 50s Prime Time (dinner)
Day 2 - Chef Mickey (breakfast) and Le Cellier (early dinner)
Day 3 - Il Mulino (anniversary dinner for 2 :love:) Whispering Canyon (kids dinner)
Day 4 - Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner)
Day 5 - Yachtsman (dinner)
Day 6 - 2 counter service meals.

So, now I have all my confirmation emails in check and everything printed and highlighted in my folder. I am beginning to think I should make a binder with everything in its proper place so I can find it easily.

I am still trying to decide what to do about work. I read my contract book...it states that we may request up to 2 days without pay. However, those days cannot be added on to paid personal days nor can they be before/after a holiday. Friday May 28 would be BOTH...before a holiday and after a paid personal day. It does say that administration can make an exception if it is an emergency or if the time cannot be changed. Because this is a voluntary VACATION, I am afraid that they won't approve it. However, the time of my 10th anniversary cannot be changed. It IS May 28! Maybe I can go it with tears in my eyes and show my principal my marriage license and beg for him to say yes. :sad1:

As I type this, I can only dream of the warm Florida sun. My house is wide open with new windows being installed and cold air blowing through.... Only 95 more days to go...

I can't get over they had you 5 ADR's for one day so crazy ! :rotfl:

All your finalized ADR's look really good :) We don't really enjoy the 50's Prime Time but our server was not really into the theme when we ate there & I think that plays a lot into what your meal is like . Can't wait to hear what you think when u get back !

Sorry to hear that your still having issues with work & the days you need off , I hope it figures it's self out soon . You must be stressed to no end worrying about it :(

I came clean with my principal today. I told him that sometimes we make assumptions and are proven to be an *** when they don't work out the way we plan. I explained that I planned an anniversary trip over Memorial Day weekend based on the assumption that we would have off on Friday May 28. Due to snow days we don't so, now I am in a bind. I asked if there was any way for me to take an unpaid day that day. He was really not upset or shocked by what I was telling him. He said "it's been done before. I will make a note of the day." I asked what is going to happen...and he said "Well, you won't be here one way or another, right?" And I said "Yes...I guess....we put a lot of money out for this and I learned my lesson...I will never assume we will have that day off again!" So, I can breathe now...and I feel so much better not having to cover up a lie! :goodvibes

Glad to hear that u got everything straightened out with your work on the vacation dates & it really wasn't at bad as you were anticipating :) Now your free to enjoy your trip without any worries :) Can't wait to hear more about your plans .popcorn::popcorn::

Two weeks ago, I spent about 3 hours in Target and got a whole lot to bring on our trip. Last night I hit AC Moore to pick up a few things to keep the boys busy on the flight. Here's what I came home with:

Since we are visiting during Star Wars weekends, I got DS8 this shirt
DSC07680.jpg

I got DS6 this shirt
DSC07679.jpg

I am a sucker for the pirate theme...so I picked up this bathing suit for DS8
DSC07677.jpg

I also got the big boys this polo shirt to wear to the Yachtsman...pirates and ship wheels.
DSC07676.jpg

I picked up this Mickey T for DS2 at Target:
DSC07675.jpg

I always get them new vacation PJs. I found these at BJs. DS6 & DS8 got Clone wars (2 pr for $12.99) and DS2 got Toy Story (3 pc set for $12.99)
DSC07673.jpg

And, to fill the house with some mouse, I got this shower curtain at Target:
DSC07674.jpg

At AC Moore, I picked up a Cars and a Mickey Word Search book (level 1 is Mickey and level 2 is Cars). I also picked up a velvet poster for DS2 to color that has Toy Story, Monsters and Cars on it. I got a hangman book for the boys to play on the plane. Each of these was only $1! :yay:

I still need to pick up some Kooky pens for the big boys. Not sure if I should go the Star Wars route or the Disney route.

Yesterday I hit up Kohls. I had a 20% off coupon..so I HAD to go!:lmao: I also needed to buy a Shark Steam Mop. OMG! That thing is awesome! Especially when it was on sale and I had a coupon. Oh, and I also earned $30 in Kohl's Cash! So...DS 2 got a few things for the trip:

A new pair of sneakers. His first pair that lights up. They are Toy Story and black, so they won't look so dirty so fast. $19.99

A new pair of 'dress sneakers'. I plan to keep this in the box until our trip. I love crisp white sneakers when dressed for dinner. These were in the clearance section for $12.99.

New PJs - $15 for TWO pair, plus 20% off

New PJs - $13 for a 3 piece set, plus 20% off.

I've started building the hype in the house. The other night, the boys wanted to watch a movie. Rather than ASK what they wanted to watch, I popped in Lilo and Stitch...a movie they haven't watched in 5 years! Well, they loved it :happytv::happytv::happytv: All three boys sat and watched the entire thing. When DS8 was a toddler, he insisted on watching it every night! So, last night they asked to watch it again. Now, when we hit WDW in May, DS2 will have an idea of who the big blue guy is and why he is hanging with the cute girl in the flowered dress. Next week, I will force them to watch Beauty and the Beast! It's going to be hard to get them to agree to a 'girl' movie, so I will just say it is Mommy's turn to pick the movie. They will love it once they remember Lumeire and see Beast!

The shoes are adorable and such a good price on the white Nike's ! Wish we had a Kohl's I so miss that store :(

The movie plan sounds really good , it def sounds like it's getting your youngest prepared for meeting the characters :) Are you gonna pick- up The Princess & The Frog on the 16th for them ? I know we are adding it to our collection !

The shoes are adorable and such a good price on the white Nike's ! Wish we had a Kohl's I so miss that store :(

The movie plan sounds really good , it def sounds like it's getting your youngest prepared for meeting the characters :) Are you gonna pick- up The Princess & The Frog on the 16th for them ? I know we are adding it to our collection !

We haven't yet seen that movie. I would love to...so I will buy it for ME! The boys would cringe if I asked them if they wanted a princess movie. I am sure they will enjoy it because they love all disney movies!

You can probably get the same deals on the Kohl's website. Do you use retailmenot.com? They have coupons for EVERY store in existence. Check it out!

We haven't yet seen that movie. I would love to...so I will buy it for ME! The boys would cringe if I asked them if they wanted a princess movie. I am sure they will enjoy it because they love all disney movies!

You can probably get the same deals on the Kohl's website. Do you use retailmenot.com? They have coupons for EVERY store in existence. Check it out!

That's true boys are not to fond of Princess ! :laughing:

I looked and they are offering the same deals on Kohl's website , would love to get some things but have been on a shopping spree lately and really need to stop ! lol No, I never have used retailmenot.com but will def be checking it out after your recommendation :thumbsup2

So it has been a long time since I updated anything here. So much to tell...and most importantly, only 27 days till WDW! :cool1:

I will start with the shopping....

More Shopping
So, as it stands the boys have new crocs, new bathing suits, new shirts and shorts, and new PJs for their trip. The boys even got Disney Jibbits to adorn their crocs. Even mommy and daddy got new crocs. That reminds me, I need to break mine in a bit. I bought myself the PrePair Flip Flops and they kind of dig into the top of my foot. I will wear them to work tomorrow to see if I can stand them all day.
10383_side_067.jpg

I always put together a 'goody bag' to keep the kids entertained for the plane ride down. I started putting together the things I picked up so far into $1 store string bags they got for our trip to Williamsburg last Spring. So far, they have new sunglasses, Disney word search books ($2 at AC Moore), autograph books and Kooky pens, $1 puzzle book for DS8, $1 Disney Bingo game for DS6, Buzz and Woody mini posters for DS2.

I have created My Vacation travel journals for the boys using www.themouseforless.com. I added some coloring pages for them and put them in clear report covers. I did this for our trip to Williamsburg and they LOVED them. They even said it was the best part of the trip...filling in the pages on the way down to VA.

Even More Shopping
There's a lot I still need to get. I am making my list, and checking it twice... So far, here's what I still need to buy:
Sunblock, a book for each boy for their goody bag, Disney fruit snacks for the plane, travel size toiletries, etc. I also have to place my order with Garden Grocer. We plan to eat breakfast in the room 4 out of 6 days. So, we need breakfast items, water bottles to bring to the parks, milk, chocolate milk, juice boxes, fruit and some snacks. We are on the dining plan, so we don't need too much. Oh, I will also order diapers from Garden Grocer so they don't take up so much room in our suitcases! I have never ordered from them before...I hope it is easy to do! Does anyone know of a better choice for having groceries delivered? Our flight lands at after 7:30 PM, so I want to make sure they can deliver that late too.

Next post...second guessing the itinerary.

Since I made the plans back in January/February, park hours have changed. More importantly, Fantasmic! schedule has changed. Here is our plan so far. I am wondering if I should switch things up a bit. Being Star Wars weekends, I am thinking we will want 2 days at DHS. Is that too much? Are we doing too much hopping? We will have FIL & MIL with us. they don't walk very fast...and I am usually moving pretty quickly through the turnstiles, etc. So, I am wondering if they will fade fast and DH will want to go back to the hotel with them (the guilt would kill him if they left and we were still at a park).

Anyway, so please critique...offer ideas. PLEASE! I am not planning to change any ADRs, so they kind of dictated my touring plans!

Day 1: - Arrive late --- check in, go to sleep...hopefully!

Day 2: - Magic Kingdom/Disney Hollywood Studios.
Eat breakfast in the room. Take boat to MK. Stay until parade and then head out. Take boat to CR or monorail to another resort to get the bus to DHS. ADR @50s Prime Time Cafe around 5 or 6 (I have 2...I will cancel 1 once I figure the next part out). Should we eat at 5 and head to F! at 9, or should we take our time, eat at 6, and stay for F! at 10:30? Is there any change of getting on Toy Story if we arrive this late?

Day 3: - Epcot --- ALL DAY
Boat to CR for ADR @ Chef Mickey. Plan to eat between 9 & 10...get to Epcot around noon. Tour FW until our ADR @ LeCellier for an early dinner. Tour WS until Illuminations. Bus back to VWL.

Day 4: - DHS (Our Anniversary)
Breakfast in the room. Bus to DHS for Rope Drop...trying VERY HARD for this since it is Star Wars Weekend. Head straight to Toy Story...tour DHS, special effort to make SWW events. Lunch at Pizza Planet. Leave after parade to head back to VWL. DH & I have ressies at Il Mulino for our anniversary. MIL & FIL will hang with the kids at the pool or in the room. They may have dinner at Roaring Fork.

Day 5: - Animal Kingdom
Breakfast in the room. Bus to AK. Tour AK...hit dinoland first, then tree of life, and then to safari. We usually leave AK as the parade route is being set up. We have never seen it. Is it worth staying for? We have an ADR at5:20 at Whispering Canyon Cafe. After dinner we will head up to the room for a little bit...then take the boat to CR for the Pirates and Pals Cruise.

Day 6: - FLEXIBLE...thinking DHS then MK. MK is open till 3 AM :scared1: It is our last night in WDW. Should we skip DHS? Should we spend the entire day in MK? It will probably be crowded since it is EMH and the day before Memorial Day.
Breakfast in room. Bus to DHS. Lunch at DHS counter service. 4:45 take Boat to ADR at Yachtsman. After dinner, take bus to MK. Kids pick the route we take through the park. Spectromagic at 10:30. Ride a few more rides...home by midnight.

Day 7: - Go Home (at night!) Downtown Disney
Take our time and check out. Breakfast at Roaring Fork. Bus to DTD. Late lunch in DTD. Does anyone know a CS in DTD that is on the DDP? Bus back to VWL. Our flight is about 8:40. What time will DME pick us up? Time to go to another park? We will have an extra day left on our passes...what park should we go to? Can we use an unused park hopper day to get into DisneyQuest? Should we skip DTD? Should we do it a different day?

Please help me find answers to all of these questions!! Thanks!!! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter