Planning the PERFECT trip - stress along with me!

dphie28

Mouseketeer
Well, this is my FIRST PTR, so be kind. There is a lot of history leading to this moment, so grab a snack and read along. popcorn::

First off...the cast of characters:

ME - Amy (36) - Never went to WDW until my honeymoon in 2000! DH gave me the choice between a trip to Italy and WDW and I chose the Mouse! With a 4 night cruise of course, so there was plenty of romance :lovestruc I HAD to see WDW before kids entered the picture! That first trip hooked me! We returned to the World in 2005 with our 2 boys and my brother, his family, and my mom. That was sooo hectic and chaotic, that we HAD to return 3 mos later for a quiet weekend with 'just the four of us' during MNSSHP -- it was fabulous!!! In 2007 I got pregnant with our 3rd son and my first reaction was OH NO! :scared1: when will we get to go back to WDW? So, we went for a 4 night trip for our anniversary in 2007! That trip was a total surprise. The kids had no idea where we were headed when we picked them up from school...they fell asleep in the car and woke up at the airport! :rotfl: We were on the way home when they asked "When are we coming back to Disney World?" We knew it would be a while, so we said we had to wait until the baby was 3 (remember, he wasn't even born yet). Well, each birthday of DS3, they have reminded us....he's getting closer to 3!!! So, that's what they think...when DS3 is 3 (in October). Little do they know, this trip will be in MAY!!!! :woohoo:

DH - CJ (36)- he had been to the 'original' treehouses when he was 4 and didn't return to WDW until our honeymoon. Although he won't admit it, he loves it as much as me!

DS8 J - our 8 year old son who is totally into sports, anything pirates, and trying to figure out why we keep getting mail from WDW!

DS6 E - our 6 year old son who loves anything his big brother does...but loves bugging his big brother even more! He is OBSESSED with Clone Troopers so he will be THRILLED that we are in WDW during Star Wars weekends!

DS2 R - our 2 1/2 year old son who eats, drinks, and sleeps BUZZ LIGHTYEAR! He was just running to take a bath yelling "To Infinity and Beyond"

MIL & FIL - This is a first for us --- vacationing with the grandparents. MIL and FIL usually travel the country in their RV during the winter and love coming home in the spring and visiting with us. But, this year, they decided not to travel and were happy to say YES when I asked them to join us. This is their first trip since the 70s!!!

Some pics:
Our last family trip in 2007 (I was 4 mos pregnant)
DSCN00381.jpg

The boys a la DarthMaul
DSCN0066.jpg

THe newest mouseketeer!
Ryan2.jpg

So, now we have the PERFECT excuse(s) to visit WDW (10 year anniversary, DS3's 1st trip, 1st Grandparent trip) with the PERFECT cast of characters at the PERFECT time of year (what's better than MAY?) SO, the pressure's on...where to stay????

Our last trips were spent at ASMo and CBR. We knew that we were not going to be comfortable in single room, so I booked a Ft Wilderness cabin. It seemed great--- the boys could share the room...we would have a separate space wih the Murphy bed...and it was 35% off! What could be better? Well...being our anniversary, i would like a bed that was bigger than a full size... So, I asked DH if he would want to splurge the extra $600 to stay in a 1 BR Villa. He agreed! Thinking that MIL & FIL would be at the campground in their RV, we booked a 1 BR at Villa at Wildeness Lodge. Well, FIL AND MIL decided to FLY instead! So, back on the computer to book a studio for them. Sounds perfect! Right? Well....not quite yet...

Over the past 2 years we have been kicking around the idea of joining DVC. Last summer we went to Orlando and swore it was going to be Disney-free trip. WE stayed at the Nick Hotel and did Universal, Sea World, etc. Well, we couldnt stay away and ended up in DTD for dinner on day 1! LOL We didn't actually go to any parks so it WAS a DIsney-Free trip in my book :rolleyes1 We also met up with friends who were staying at the Boardwalk and hung out for the night with them. Once we returned, we knew it was just a matter of time before we joined. So, I started crunching numbers :surfweb: If we paid cash for this trip and ended up joining DVC next year or the year after that, we would be throwing nearly $3000 out the window. :eek: Our guide was able to secure a dedicated 2 BR in VWL and we took the plunge! A whopping 100 points later, we are DVC members! We know we will add on, but for now, it pays for this trip and we can start planning 2012 when we get back!!! So, NOW we have the PERFECT location!

Up Next....the PERFECT itinerary.

You have three handsome boys. You must be so proud.

I keep trying to convince my hubby that DVC is awesome, but we just aren't quite there yet. He is more a relaxed beach goer and I am definitely all Disney.

Love reading your TR so far. Can't wait to read more.

We will be landing in Orlando late at night and flying out even later, so we have a full 6 days to plan. We will be adding DDP so we have to work around the ADRs I am able to get. The biggest factor to our plans is the night time event. We want to make sure we can see Fantasmic, Spectromagic, and Wishes. So, knowing which days they are planned, I went ahead and made our ADRs. I am still tweaking things...so bear with me.

Day 1: Tuesday
ME to VWL

Day 2: Wednesday
Magic Kingdom hit up Fantasy Land first and make our way down through ToonTown and Tomorrowland.
Counter Service Lunch
AdventureLand and Frontierland later (if time)
Leave MK at 4:30 to head to DHS for ADR at 50s Prime Time Cafe
Fantasmic

Day 3: Thursday
Chef Mickey's for breakfast
Epcot
ADR at Tutto Italia
Illuminations

Day 4: Friday
ATTEMPT Rope Drop at DHS and Star Wars Weekend
Lunch at Pizza Planet (the boys have been asking for 3 years)
leave DHS about 4:30 because it is our ANNIVERSARY!!
kids and MIL&FIL hang out at hotel while Me and DH head to le Cellier for dinner :love: then some EMH at Epcot

Day 5: Saturday
Animal Kingdom (not our fave...so always an early day)
Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe
Pirates and Pals Wishes cruise

Day 6: Sunday
??? RE-VISIT DHS or EPCOT or MK or Downtown Disney
Dinner at Yachtsman --- the Grand Finale!
Spectromagic at MK at 9.
EMH at MK...last night !

Day 7: Monday
Check out
Downtown Disney or MK
ME to MCO for our 9 pm flight

You have three handsome boys. You must be so proud.

I keep trying to convince my hubby that DVC is awesome, but we just aren't quite there yet. He is more a relaxed beach goer and I am definitely all Disney.

Love reading your TR so far. Can't wait to read more.

Thanks! I will have to take a peek at your PTR when I am more rested (the alarm goes off in 5.5 hours). I am curious to see you plans since this is our first trip to the WL area too!

popcorn:: Can't wait for more

Your going to love DVC!! We joined in 2002 and already we have probably gotten our money's worth. WE pay it off in 2013 and after that it's free rooms in disney untill 2042:cool1: And we know that there are disney trips we have taken the past 8 years that would not have been possible without DVC. We own at wilderness lodge too:goodvibes But never stayed there, can't wait to read all about it

popcorn:: Can't wait for more

Your going to love DVC!! We joined in 2002 and already we have probably gotten our money's worth. WE pay it off in 2013 and after that it's free rooms in disney untill 2042:cool1: And we know that there are disney trips we have taken the past 8 years that would not have been possible without DVC. We own at wilderness lodge too:goodvibes But never stayed there, can't wait to read all about it

So funny that you own at VWL but never stayed there. We bought into SSR for the 2054 exp. date and probably won't stay there for quite a few more years. While our kids are young we want to be close to MK!

People planning for trips to WDW should be allowed to take time off from work. Don't the employers realize that all this planning needs to be done...work can wait?!?! :lmao:

I am a people-pleaser. I want to make sure everyone has the BEST time they possibly can. I want to make sure we get our money's worth out of the DDP too... So, these ADRs are my most recent source of stress! Our first experience with DDP was the FIRST time it was ever offered and it was FREE! That was back in July 2005. THE CSs were still new to the plan, so some restaurants we made out like bandits, but at other restaurants, they thought there were separate menus we were supposed to get. :confused3 DH is stuck on our dinner at Mama Melrose for Fantasmic and INSISTS that we got a separate menu because of DDP. It was a separate menu because of the Fantasmic package....but we have to agree to disagree. :sad2:

So, now that the in-laws are joining us there is even MORE pressure! Neither has ever dined at Disney. FIL is a meat-and-potatoes kinda guy. And he has a HUGE appetite. I love to try new things, so if it was up to me I would use the DDP as an opportunity to explore new restaurants. I will do what's best for the group, though, and book 'safe' restaurants. So here's what I have...

Day 1 - counter service for lunch in MK and 50's Prime Time for dinner in DHS. This is an important meal because it is the 'first impression' meal. I have never eaten here and hope that it will work for the mix of people in our crew!

Day 2 - starting off with Chef Mickey for breakfast (not changing that one for anybody!) and having dinner at Tutto Italia in Epcot. The kids love Italian food. FIL and MIL order from the Italian restaurant by them almost weekly, so I am sure they can find something. Really wanted LeCellier but it was booked for dinner. Not doing a lunch since we have a breakfast ADR and will be stuffed longer than a normal morning.

...ooops bell rang. Must go teach! To be continued...

...ok back to continue...

Day 3 - Our Anniversary! We will be doing DHS for Star Wars Weekend that day, so Pizza Planet is up for lunch. The boys have been asking to go back there since 2005. Dinner is split. DH & I have an ADR for le Cellier. The boys will be with their grandparents at the hotel. We will pay out of pocket for this meal since we are doing a 2 TS meal on Sunday!

Day 4 - Counter Service for breakfast or lunch then Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner. We have plans for the Pirates and Pals cruise, so we wanted to be near the Contemporary when done. I had a few other ideas... eat in MK at the Plaza and enjoy some yummy ice cream before heading to the Contemporary. But, I think that MIL & FIL may not want to do all the walking and entering/exiting the park just for dinner. I thought about 1900 Park Faire...we have never tried it. But, we are probably going to AK that day and we have never stayed at AK past the parade...so we would be back at VWL early and it makes sense (I think) to just eat where we are and head to the Contemporary for the cruise/fireworks.

Day 5 - Not sure about the plans for the day but dinner is the grand finale --- the Yachtsman. DH and FIL will be in heaven.

Here's where the stress comes in... Maybe we should the Yachtsmann on Day 2 (our Epcot Day) Or, is that too much of a hassle to leave the park and come back? We won't be in Epcot until abour 11 am...how much time do we need there? None of the people in my travel party will give me any insight...so maybe you all will! How long will it take to get the boat from Epcot to YC? Will it be worth it to leave and come back for Illuminations? Should we just stay in the park? Maybe we should do a Boardwalk restaurant on Day 2 instead? Again, leaving and coming back for Illuminations? What Boardwalk restaurant would work for our group? Ugghhh...now the stress is building! Boardwalk? We have never eaten anywhere over there. When would it fit in well? Will we need more time at DHS? Should we plan another meal over there? How long is it to take the boat from DHS to the Boardwalk? Ahhh...so much more research to do to get this PERFECT!

...ok back to continue...

Day 3 - Our Anniversary! We will be doing DHS for Star Wars Weekend that day, so Pizza Planet is up for lunch. The boys have been asking to go back there since 2005. Dinner is split. DH & I have an ADR for le Cellier. The boys will be with their grandparents at the hotel. We will pay out of pocket for this meal since we are doing a 2 TS meal on Sunday!

Day 4 - Counter Service for breakfast or lunch then Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner. We have plans for the Pirates and Pals cruise, so we wanted to be near the Contemporary when done. I had a few other ideas... eat in MK at the Plaza and enjoy some yummy ice cream before heading to the Contemporary. But, I think that MIL & FIL may not want to do all the walking and entering/exiting the park just for dinner. I thought about 1900 Park Faire...we have never tried it. But, we are probably going to AK that day and we have never stayed at AK past the parade...so we would be back at VWL early and it makes sense (I think) to just eat where we are and head to the Contemporary for the cruise/fireworks.

Day 5 - Not sure about the plans for the day but dinner is the grand finale --- the Yachtsman. DH and FIL will be in heaven.

Here's where the stress comes in... Maybe we should the Yachtsmann on Day 2 (our Epcot Day) Or, is that too much of a hassle to leave the park and come back? We won't be in Epcot until abour 11 am...how much time do we need there? None of the people in my travel party will give me any insight...so maybe you all will! How long will it take to get the boat from Epcot to YC? Will it be worth it to leave and come back for Illuminations? Should we just stay in the park? Maybe we should do a Boardwalk restaurant on Day 2 instead? Again, leaving and coming back for Illuminations? What Boardwalk restaurant would work for our group? Ugghhh...now the stress is building! Boardwalk? We have never eaten anywhere over there. When would it fit in well? Will we need more time at DHS? Should we plan another meal over there? How long is it to take the boat from DHS to the Boardwalk? Ahhh...so much more research to do to get this PERFECT!

The Yachtsman is in the Yacht Club if I'm not mistaken, correct?! If so it's a 3-5 minute walk through the back entrance at Epcot (in the World Showcase). We stayed at the Beach Club in 2008 and we were able to walk to Epcot every night. The Beach Club and Yacht Club are right by each other and the Boardwalk across the water (also connected by a path to Epcot). You should have no problem getting to the Yachtsman. You could totally leave for dinner and be back in the park in time for Illuminations, of course that depends on your ADR. Hope that helps.:)

The only two places you've mentioned that I've eaten at are Whispering Canyon and Yachstmen. I haven't been to Whispering Canyon in a while but I remember it being fun, the food was decent but I don't remember it being too great. Yachtsmen though is amazing, really great food.

Thanks for all the replies on my food dilemmas...we'll get back to that in second.

It's great fun (insert sarcasm here) to spend a ton of time planning the PERFECT vacation when suddenly the FIRST SURE THING on your vacation list gets changed without your consent! HOW DARE SPIRIT AIRLINES cancel our flight?!?! :sad2: I had 10 email messages sitting in my Junk Folder yesterday and each one was a notice that both our departing and return flights were changed! Originally we were flying out of ACY at 6:20 pm...after a full day of work. That flight was removed from their schedule and they put us on a 12:30 flight instead. UMMMMM....NO WAY! I can't miss that day of work! :scared1: The other 5 messages in the junk mail were letting us know that our return flight (9:20) is now at 8:45 pm. That is not such a problem for us... So, I get on the computer to see what else is flying out of ACY that day. :surfweb: Luckily Airtran has a flight at 4:20...and it is $79 per person. :idea: So, I get on the phone with Spirit to see what can be done with cancelling our departing flight. They said I will receive a refund in 48 hours! Now, I have to cross my fingers that they don't move the return flight again and that they don't lose our reservation. (I hate talking with people on the phone with such heavy accents that I can't be sure they understood my requests.) :mad:

Now that the airfare roller coaster seems to have come to a complete stop...it is back to work on these ADRs. I think I am finally HAPPY with our Epcot day. I have made a few changes....

Day 1 - NONE - arriving after 7 pm
Day 2 (MK/DHS) - 50s Prime Time after a day at MK and going to Fantasmic at night
Day 3 (EPCOT)- Chef Mickey for breakfast and LeCellier for dinner :woohoo: got a 4:15 ADR today!
Day 4 (DHS) - OUR ANNIVERSARY....still trying to figure this one out! We will be paying out of pocket for this one since Yachtsman uses 2 TS. The choices for after dinner activities --- Epcot (EMH) or DTD. Here are the restaurant choices. I am open to other suggestions:
  • Kona Cafe (for something different...love the Poly atmosphere, but we have eaten here before).
  • Shula's (ate here on our Honeymoon...DH was in heaven...would be romantic)
  • Raglan Road (we never get to go out to dinner alone and never at an Irish Pub. DH is a huge stout beer fan and I wonder if we would be happier in a more relaxed, fun environment than Shula's or another romantic place
)
Day 5 (AK)- Whispering Canyon Cafe...then boatride over to CR for Wishes Cruise
Day 6 (DHS/MK)- Yachtsman - last night in WDW --- so back to MK for Spectromagic, Wishes and some EMH!!!
Day 7 (MK/DTD)- going home .... no TS left!

Of the places you listed, Shula's is the best in my opinion. The steak is the best I have ever had and the sides were just as good!! If you want the poly atmosphere I would do Ohana's not Kona. Kona is just too casual for a anniversary dinner.

So, the shopping has begun!! Wooo Hoo! Second to planning a WDW is how fun it is to SHOP for the trip! An email from oldnavy sparked an early spring shopping trip! I got quite a few things for my oldest son who will need new everything (he is growing like a weed).
I picked up PIRATE shirts for the PIRATES to wear on our PIRATES and PALS cruise!
For the big ones:
on736309-00p01v01.jpg

For the littlest pirate:
on733555-02p01v01.jpg

Now, I just have to intercept the box so they don't get suspicious of why I am buying Summer clothes in February!

Just got caught up on your trip report & the other Wright family is subing ! lol

All your plans sound great so far and it sounds like the few dilemma's you've had , have worked themselves out well :)

As for your last ADR question , I vote Kona we ate here last year for the first time and had the best meal of our trip !

Cute pirate tees my DS's would just love them , we did some WDW shopping of our own yesterday , posted pic's on my report , if you want to take a look :)

Can't wait to read more popcorn::popcorn::

Just got caught up on your trip report & the other Wright family is subing ! lol

All your plans sound great so far and it sounds like the few dilemma's you've had , have worked themselves out well :)

As for your last ADR question , I vote Kona we ate here last year for the first time and had the best meal of our trip !

Cute pirate tees my DS's would just love them , we did some WDW shopping of our own yesterday , posted pic's on my report , if you want to take a look :)

Can't wait to read more popcorn::popcorn::

Thanks for subbing! I will be heading over to catch up on our PTR in a second!

Amy

Well, as you may know, our upcoming trip is a SURPRISE for the kiddies. :rolleyes1 However, I could not contain myself with what I found at Michael's today! I bought the boys autograph books and lanyards and spent a whopping $6! (before my 20% coupon) They have hard covered spiral notebooks in Princesses, Lightning McQueen and Buzz Lightyear and have lanyards that coordinate... $1 each! The notebooks have thick cardboard covers and 75 pages inside. The book measures 5x5. One side of the page has a light colored image and the back side of the paper is blank. I plan to have the autographs done on the printed page and then attach a photo of the kid getting the autograph on the facing page. I attached the lanyards to the center of the the spiral and plan to have each boy carry his own. I then went to Five Belowand found Buzz and Woody Krazy Klick-it pens for $3 each. Oh, and the best part is...they have no idea why I bought the things i did! Check them out:

The Buzz and Woody one:
DSC07632-1.jpg

Inside pages:
DSC07629.jpg

The 'finished' set with the lanyard:
DSC07628.jpg

Lightning McQueen with Lanyard (and the inside pages)
DSC07630.jpg
DSC07631.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter