Planning stress... Week after Thanksgiving.

CharissaOKC

Mouseketeer
We just booked our trip and we will be in the parks Sunday 11/25-Friday 11/30. Making a plan on what parks to visit each day is already stressing me out with the parties and shorter hours.

We have park hoppers and like to plan our days split in half with afternoon breaks.

We will do MVMCP one evening, MK HEA another evening and want 2 evenings in HS.

Any tips on how to zig while others zag?
On party nights are the other parks really crowded?

We just booked for almost those exact dates (11/24-11/29). From what I've read, that week is relatively slow, as the crowds seem to die down after the Thanksgiving break ends, until the winter break begins mid-December. We've not yet been down during a party season, MVMCP or MNSSHP, so not too sure about how those affect other parks, but again, I'm not expecting heavy crowds that week anyway. And with hoppers, it's pretty easy to adjust plans after ADRs and Fastpasses are complete.

ETA: We go to WDW at least once a year. This year will be twice, after a short MLK weekend trip back in January. So our perspective and thoughts as to the impact of crowd levels may be different.

We booked this last month 11/25-12/1. Trying to figure out schedule to. I have some ideas but have to wait until I see what type of fastpasses I can get.
We have 1 full day at MK, 2 days at Epcot, 1-AK, 1-HS, 1- christmas party, and an extra day at the end TBD.

We are booked for the same week 11/24-11/30 Been wondering about the same things. Anyone know when the info for the Christmas party and park times are released?

We also booked for 11/25-11/30. We've been this week several times, and it's always been fine. I have never noticed the other parks being extra crowded on party nights, but I can't say I was really looking for it....

We are booked for the same week 11/24-11/30 Been wondering about the same things. Anyone know when the info for the Christmas party and park times are released?

@deedeew80 I saw it on the site today. Looks like parties on the 25th, 27th, 29th, 30th that week. Park hours are usually released about 6 months in advance, so I expect to see that info in another month or so.

Last edited:
Just know that the park hours you see in about a month will probably change.

One note of advice: you probably won't need that afternoon break. With cooler temps and no humidity, it's easier to go all day. Maybe plan a TS lunch or use your travel time between parks to refresh. Plan shows and other indoor things like CoP, Presidents, Pixar Shorts for the early afternoon to give your feet a break.

You'll want at least one day at MK on a party day for the lower crowds there. Be ready to hop around 3:00 to avoid the party crowds coming in at 4:00.

We went that week last year and the crowd level was about a 5 all week. We did MK twice, once on a party day and once on a non-party day. Even though we had reduced hrs on the party day, crowds were very light until 4pm so we got a lot done. Because there are so many parties, the days without parties tend to be quite crowded. We only took a mid day break once in the 9 days but would usually have a TS lunch or go to some shows to rest our feet.

We just booked for almost those exact dates (11/24-11/29). From what I've read, that week is relatively slow, as the crowds seem to die down after the Thanksgiving break ends, until the winter break begins mid-December.

FWIW, we went to WDW that same week in 2016. While not week after Christmas crowded, it was not a slow week like it has been in the past. 35 minute wait for Figment, Sunshine Seasons having every table full, the line for Living with Land stretching through Sunshine Seasons to Soarin, etc. 45 minute standby wait for Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and Haunted Mansion, etc.

My wife overheard several people say that they only came to WDW that week to see the Candlelight Processional. And, free dining was also going on. There were also a lot of grammar school and younger kids, as well as what appeared to be college age kids there.

Also, two of our MK days on our Week After Thanksgiving 2016 trip were party days. We showed up at RD, had a good plan and our FPs. We were able to get everything done, and then some, by the time the party crowd came in at 4pm. In fact, it was hard to get anything done after 4pm. Even walking down Main Street against the flow of the crowd was tough.

Best advice? Go with reasonable expectations as there are no inherently slow times anymore. It will be busy, but should be manageable. We were there during this time last year and noticed a couple of things. First, parks were slammed on days with EMH, particularly morning EMH. Second, -the other parks seemed very, very busy to us on party days. Generally, if you're going in late Nov or Dec, it's to see decorations and enjoy more reasonable weather, but you won't avoid the crowds anymore.

We vacationed the same week last year. Crowd levels dropped significantly the Monday after Thanksgiving. Rope-dropping MK on a party day gives you a day with really low crowds. MK will be busy on the evenings without the party, but it's manageable, especially if you're not intent on accomplishing a lot outside of HEA. The parks without EMH will be less busy than those with EMH. Look at crowd prediction sites for determining which parks to visit on which days. This will be especially important for your selection of days for doing evening HS. We did not need afternoon breaks during that trip. For my family I find that breaks are necessary or helpful when we visit during the hot and humid months.

We're going that week too! I've never been at that time, usually we go closer to Christmas. MVMCP is really throwing me for a loop, we're going to end up having to go to MK on a non-party day because I really want to see Happily Ever After. We're not doing hoppers (unless we can get stupid free dining, I'm still bitter about that!) so we don't have as much flexibility. But I figure no matter what, it'll probably not be as busy as it is at Christmas time and I'm more used to going at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter