Planning our 1st Trip...Questions

I have been to WDW some 30-ish years ago, as a teen. From that, I'm pushing them towards some of the classics I remember, and the experience of going. The boys are pretty open minded (mostly), DH....will come around. I'm hoping once we get there and they see some of this stuff, they'll be so caught up in my excitement and the feel of the moment, they'll agree to things that right now seem unappealing. (all the ? rides on my first post....the classics I remember and love and will hopefully convince them of)

Oh my! SO much fun to get that return trip! A lot has changed, and there is so much to explore now. I love a lot of the classics, but I get that those 20 somethings think that they will be bored. Just enjoy!

*trying to talk the family into Indiana Jones, they are not on board

Can you articulate why? We love it; we go at least every other time we visit. We've probably seen the show 6 times and we still enjoy it each time. It's most fun the first time because there's some surprises which I won't spoil. It's also great to go to when: (a) you're hot and you want to get out of the sun (it's under cover and there's ceiling fans), and/or (b) you're tired and you want to sit for a while (the show lasts a reasonably good period of time). It's both entertaining and educational, in a behind-the-scenes-stunt-and-special-effects kind of way. The place is huge so if you time it right, you can still get in without a long wait (times are posted outside).

Can you articulate why? We love it; we go at least every other time we visit. We've probably seen the show 6 times and we still enjoy it each time. It's most fun the first time because there's some surprises which I won't spoil. It's also great to go to when: (a) you're hot and you want to get out of the sun (it's under cover and there's ceiling fans), and/or (b) you're tired and you want to sit for a while (the show lasts a reasonably good period of time). It's both entertaining and educational, in a behind-the-scenes-stunt-and-special-effects kind of way. The place is huge so if you time it right, you can still get in without a long wait (times are posted outside).
Why I want to, or why they don't?

I saw it when I was there as a teen and loved it. That's been ~30 yrs ago but still.....

They, being all grown-up and having never been to Disney, are all claiming things will be "boring" or "cheesy." Things that, yes, even watching on YouTube seem ridiculous....but in person, there's just *something* about it that makes it fun and a lasting memory.

I am fairly confident I'll win them over, on this and many other classic "cheesy" bits, but at the moment....they all are rolling their eyes at me.

They *are* wanting to do some of the various scavenger hunt/"contest" things (the Phineas & Ferb one, or the Magic Sorceror one, or the Pirates one, etc...) so they are getting in the spirit of having fun, and I think those will be a neat way to focus on soaking in the atmosphere of Disney. They're all more "do-ers" than "sit still and watch-ers" so that's part of it as well.

Thanks; we are debating right now on the days in US/IOA. One question -- if we do 2 days, but single park tix there....I know we lose Hogwarts Express if so, but would the extra time (to experience more of Universal as a whole) outweigh losing the train ride?

I think DH will enjoy this part more than WDW, so I want to allow the best experience possible, but going to 2-day, park hopper tix adds a lot.

In my opinion - yes! While the train ride is fun and makes it any easy way to get between the two HP parks, I didn't think it had the WOW factor that other US/IOA rides have.

My kids and DH are thrill ride junkies. If yours are the same they will definitely appreciate more time in US/IOA. I'm a certified ride chicken, but there's still plenty for me to see/do at US/IOA - - I just don't do the big roller coasters, but I can do pretty much everything else. Revenge of the Mummy is one of my all time favorite rides.

I will also suggest doing the WDW part of your trip first. We did a split trip the first time we did US/IOA and my kids found the WDW rides to be "lame" in comparison and kept wanting to ditch WDW and to back to US/IOA, which the budget didn't allow. This was before all of the HP stuff and we did a 2 day single park ticket before heading over to WDW for 5 days.

I have been to WDW some 30-ish years ago, as a teen. From that, I'm pushing them towards some of the classics I remember, and the experience of going. The boys are pretty open minded (mostly), DH....will come around. I'm hoping once we get there and they see some of this stuff, they'll be so caught up in my excitement and the feel of the moment, they'll agree to things that right now seem unappealing. (all the ? rides on my first post....the classics I remember and love and will hopefully convince them of)

My DH did the first trip to WDW when our oldest was 5 (he's now 34). He hated every minute of it! He put on a good face while we there , but said he'd never go back. I took the kids by myself for years. Last summer we did 3 nights/2 days with a 2 day park hopper after a cruise. I found the trick was to just do the things he was interested in, and anything with a short line. We ended up hitting all four parks in the 2 days and managed to cover a lot of rides/shows using the single rider line, fast pass and getting on things with short lines (I used the app for wait times). He actually said he'd go back again if we did it the same way again!

I never have any trouble getting him to do to US/IOA.

Be sure to check out the Universal forum if you haven't yet. You can get lots of good advice there too.

You can see both areas of Harry Potter in one day. I would go for park to park even if you decide to go for two days. We loved the Hogwarts Express and the two parks are so convenient to one another. Be sure to ride Revenge of the Mummy and Spider-Man if you can. Men in Black is also a blast. Also check out the Transformers meet and greet. BEST characters ever.

A few other thoughts.
If the boys are into Star Wars, The Void at DS might be worth researching for arrival day.
Also, if you are deciding between 7 Dwarfs and BTMRR, 7 Dwarfs is a nice combination of roller coaster and animatronics, so everyone can be happy. (In other words, you can trick them ;) )Splash Mountain is also a nice combo of classic Disney with a bit of a thrill towards the end. Those two offer something for everyone.
Jack Sparrow does make several appearances in PotC.

Of course, BTMRR has a special place in my heart because that is the first ride we took the kids on in MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter