Planning next trip: Split stay, car, shuttle?

Boardwalk_bride

Married in WDW :)
We just returned from Disneyland a couple months ago (first trip!) and planning a trip back to WDW. Our DD will be 7 - she has been to WDW once (her 3rd bday, in January 2020). DH and I have been a lot (got married there!) and have always stayed on site.

We decided to go one year ahead of our 15th anniversary/40th birthday year (which would be 2025) for logistical reasons. We still want to make this a great trip! We would like to go to Universal and Discovery Cove, and spend more down time vs. running from attraction to attraction. Because we were just in DLR, I think we could skip a lot of MK.

I would like a lovely resort with an amazing pool and access to good food (we are vegetarian). We have stayed at many DVC resorts - but with prices going up (and wanting a separate sleeping area) I'm wondering about staying offsite, specifically at Universal. If we do this, should I rent a car, or just pay for transfers when we need them? My daughter and I are not super into thrill rides, so Universal will primarily around Harry Potter.

I also love resort hopping at WDW, and have never stayed at a monorail resort. So we are also thinking about that. We got married at Epcot so I also like the idea of a few nights at BWV. I also love WL - love walking into Fort Wilderness which our DD would get a kick out of. We have stayed att AKV 4 times, so looking for something different.

Anyway - what would you do? Split stay at WDW/UO? Stay offside somewhere else fabulous? Do I need a car?

TIA!

So many variables to consider, how long is your trip, how many days at UO/WDW, will you be at the parks more than at the resort, will you want to stay onsite to take advantage or resort benefits to WDW guests, etc. I feel like you might need more details before you could hone in on a few resorts.

I don't know a ton about UO but a lot of people love the express pass you get with staying at their more "deluxe" hotels, not sure what UO calls them but everyone says it saves a ton of time at the park so I'd look into that.

As far as which hotel for disney, I don't see a point in staying at a monorail resort if you won't be at MK much, that's just money down the drain for a premium location.

If you really want more room, you'll always get more bang for your buck off property than at WDW. We mostly stay on site but Orlando has no shortage of airbnb, vrbos, time shares, condos, suite hotels, etc. Flamingo Crossings has a suite property that is pretty budget friendly. Have not stayed but I've heard good things on the boards. Boardwalk or any of the resorts in that area are great for the location by Epcot/DHS. We love that area and the convenience. We'd be happy at any of the resorts in that area, including Swan/Dolphin.

You definitely don't need a car and can easily uber/lyft as necessary, so long as you plan for it, it's not that hard but it can be a longer, costly drive if you hit traffic which in Orlando is a likely situation.

We've done UO but not tied to a disney trip. It's never worked out that way but if I were to do both in one trip, we'd likely do UO first and then end with Disney.

So many variables to consider, how long is your trip, how many days at UO/WDW, will you be at the parks more than at the resort, will you want to stay onsite to take advantage or resort benefits to WDW guests, etc. I feel like you might need more details before you could hone in on a few resorts.

I don't know a ton about UO but a lot of people love the express pass you get with staying at their more "deluxe" hotels, not sure what UO calls them but everyone says it saves a ton of time at the park so I'd look into that.

As far as which hotel for disney, I don't see a point in staying at a monorail resort if you won't be at MK much, that's just money down the drain for a premium location.

If you really want more room, you'll always get more bang for your buck off property than at WDW. We mostly stay on site but Orlando has no shortage of airbnb, vrbos, time shares, condos, suite hotels, etc. Flamingo Crossings has a suite property that is pretty budget friendly. Have not stayed but I've heard good things on the boards. Boardwalk or any of the resorts in that area are great for the location by Epcot/DHS. We love that area and the convenience. We'd be happy at any of the resorts in that area, including Swan/Dolphin.

You definitely don't need a car and can easily uber/lyft as necessary, so long as you plan for it, it's not that hard but it can be a longer, costly drive if you hit traffic which in Orlando is a likely situation.

We've done UO but not tied to a disney trip. It's never worked out that way but if I were to do both in one trip, we'd likely do UO first and then end with Disney.
Thanks so much for this. Yes, I think we need to write out exactly what we want to do and where we’d like to be. I do want to have more of a relaxing vacation - so I see hanging out at the resort a lot.

We are thinking between 8-10 nights. April or November. I think if we did November I’d try for wilderness lodge just for my kid to experience it (I’ve been there during the holidays and it amazing). Otherwise probably boardwalk.

I’ve always wanted to stay at GF, but might not make sense this time.

We went in May with our 5 YO and 3 YO and did a WDW split stay (RIV and POLY). A few thoughts:

- Not sure what your tickets are going to look like and if you need to go to Universal, but when we priced out doing a night at Universal the tickets were outrageously expensive versus adding two extra days of tickets at WDW. Once you have 5 day tickets adding 6+ is very little increase versus adding 2 days at UO for three of us was nearly a thousand dollars.

- We stayed at WL for a night with young kids on a previous trip and the easy access to MK with the boat was amazing. Also, the pool there is really good for kids and the variety of meals in the resort and at the MK area resorts is really nice. They are easy to get to with the boat transportation.

- We loved the split between RIV and Poly because it gave us a few nights close to MK and a few nights close to EPCOT/HS. We are DVC so it isn't very 'expensive' to us.

I would consider looking at a split between Carribean Beach and then WL and skipping UO. You can do 5 nights at CB, which gives easy access to skyliner for EPCOT/HS and walking distance to RIV for nice restaurants at moderate pricing. Then 3 or 4 nights at WL where you can splurge a bit and then have easy access to MK. This would be a nice cost savings alternative to a full deluxe stay. Otherwise you could save more money and do it with Pop Century instead of CB. Same skyliner access but they don't have TS meals and you would need to skyline over to RIV or the Boardwalk area for dinners.

We went in May with our 5 YO and 3 YO and did a WDW split stay (RIV and POLY). A few thoughts:

- Not sure what your tickets are going to look like and if you need to go to Universal, but when we priced out doing a night at Universal the tickets were outrageously expensive versus adding two extra days of tickets at WDW. Once you have 5 day tickets adding 6+ is very little increase versus adding 2 days at UO for three of us was nearly a thousand dollars.

- We stayed at WL for a night with young kids on a previous trip and the easy access to MK with the boat was amazing. Also, the pool there is really good for kids and the variety of meals in the resort and at the MK area resorts is really nice. They are easy to get to with the boat transportation.

- We loved the split between RIV and Poly because it gave us a few nights close to MK and a few nights close to EPCOT/HS. We are DVC so it isn't very 'expensive' to us.

I would consider looking at a split between Carribean Beach and then WL and skipping UO. You can do 5 nights at CB, which gives easy access to skyliner for EPCOT/HS and walking distance to RIV for nice restaurants at moderate pricing. Then 3 or 4 nights at WL where you can splurge a bit and then have easy access to MK. This would be a nice cost savings alternative to a full deluxe stay. Otherwise you could save more money and do it with Pop Century instead of CB. Same skyliner access but they don't have TS meals and you would need to skyline over to RIV or the Boardwalk area for dinners.
Part of the reason we want to do Universal is to stay on site as the accomodations are cheaper. We usually have at least a one bedroom - we are thinking we can try for a split stay next year (so share a 'normal room' for first half, and a one bedroom second half).

DH and I love Harry Potter, but no way we would let our daughter watch it, so she doesn't really know it. I don't like most rides at UO, as I can't do simulators, and I'm assuming DD can't either since she gets car sick.

So, hmm, kinda liking your suggestion. We have stayed at WL and loved it. Caribbean beach looks like the main pool is being refurbished until end of April 2024, which is when we may go.

I have a 7 year old daughter. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, Polynesian, Boardwalk, & POFQ with her. Her favorite was the Polynesian followed closely by the Boardwalk. She loved the theme of the Poly (she still calls it the “Moana hotel”) and the waterfall in the pool there. Also she really liked the slide at BW and I preferred the location of the BW. Plus I think it would be fun to take your daughter to the hotel where you guys got married.

I would probably do a split between a Disney hotel and Universal. We stayed at Royal Pacific before we had our daughter and I thought the hotel was nice. Plus I liked the express pass.

I have a 7 year old daughter. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, Polynesian, Boardwalk, & POFQ with her. Her favorite was the Polynesian followed closely by the Boardwalk. She loved the theme of the Poly (she still calls it the “Moana hotel”) and the waterfall in the pool there. Also she really liked the slide at BW and I preferred the location of the BW. Plus I think it would be fun to take your daughter to the hotel where you guys got married.

I would probably do a split between a Disney hotel and Universal. We stayed at Royal Pacific before we had our daughter and I thought the hotel was nice. Plus I liked the express pass.
Thanks! Yes, I think we will do BW (we actually got married in Epcot - I changed locations after making my user name!). We like to take 1-2 nights to ourselves on trips, since she goes to bed early, so at least this leaves us access to go back to HS or EP.

I think Universal will save us $ from hotels alone, plus it is something different. She also really wants to do Discovery Cove, but I think we will wait until she is older.

We just came back yesterday and I want to throw out Saratoga Springs as an option. We did a 9 night trip and it was so nice not to have to switch resorts. I used to not really like Saratoga but it has really grown on me over the years. We did Discovery Cove, Sea World, Busch Gardens and a day each at MK, DHS, and Epcot. We also were able to do the DVC Member event at AK. We also had a few down days. We have done a similar trip too with the Universal parks. Some things to consider:
  • We like having a 1 bedroom unit. Love the pull down beds for the kids. Kitchen saves us so much money on snacks, drinks, and breakfasts. We love separate sleeping areas and washer/dryer.
  • Saratoga is super close to the Sea World Parks and Universal. Also very close to some really nice offsite areas for restaurants and quick service or sit down meals.
  • Lots to do at Disney Springs on down days and lots of food options.
  • Can park your car right outside of your room. This is a HUGE deal for us, lol. We always rent a car. It saves us so much money/time in the end. Depending on our arrival time, sometimes we get groceries delivered and sometimes we run to Aldi's or Publix to pick up.
  • I would only stay at Universal if you do a Deluxe with included Express Pass. Otherwise staying there does not get you much. There are not many kid rides at Universal. We didn't take my youngest til he was 9 and tall enough to do most things.
  • You cannot beat the Discovery Cove ticket deals. My kids love it there. I don't think 7 is too young. We have done the Sea Venture and the Dolphin swim on different trips, but also gone just for the resort day which is a great deal. Buy the tickets on Black Friday for best prices. Get at least 1 ultimate ticket for free parking. We usually get the ticket that includes Aquatica/Sea World.

We just came back yesterday and I want to throw out Saratoga Springs as an option. We did a 9 night trip and it was so nice not to have to switch resorts. I used to not really like Saratoga but it has really grown on me over the years. We did Discovery Cove, Sea World, Busch Gardens and a day each at MK, DHS, and Epcot. We also were able to do the DVC Member event at AK. We also had a few down days. We have done a similar trip too with the Universal parks. Some things to consider:
  • We like having a 1 bedroom unit. Love the pull down beds for the kids. Kitchen saves us so much money on snacks, drinks, and breakfasts. We love separate sleeping areas and washer/dryer.
  • Saratoga is super close to the Sea World Parks and Universal. Also very close to some really nice offsite areas for restaurants and quick service or sit down meals.
  • Lots to do at Disney Springs on down days and lots of food options.
  • Can park your car right outside of your room. This is a HUGE deal for us, lol. We always rent a car. It saves us so much money/time in the end. Depending on our arrival time, sometimes we get groceries delivered and sometimes we run to Aldi's or Publix to pick up.
  • I would only stay at Universal if you do a Deluxe with included Express Pass. Otherwise staying there does not get you much. There are not many kid rides at Universal. We didn't take my youngest til he was 9 and tall enough to do most things.
  • You cannot beat the Discovery Cove ticket deals. My kids love it there. I don't think 7 is too young. We have done the Sea Venture and the Dolphin swim on different trips, but also gone just for the resort day which is a great deal. Buy the tickets on Black Friday for best prices. Get at least 1 ultimate ticket for free parking. We usually get the ticket that includes Aquatica/Sea World.
Thanks for this! I’m not sure we will rent a car - so I think SS might not work if we don’t get one?

Would you prioritize DC over UO? If we chance to November I feel like it might make UO more attractive with grinch and Harry Potter Xmas stuff.

Trying to figure out how to fit this into 7-9 nights.

Thanks for this! I’m not sure we will rent a car - so I think SS might not work if we don’t get one?

Would you prioritize DC over UO? If we chance to November I feel like it might make UO more attractive with grinch and Harry Potter Xmas stuff.

Trying to figure out how to fit this into 7-9 nights.
While the Harry Potter areas are nice, you can easily get through them in half a day, especially if crowds aren't super heavy. I don't think there is enough other stuff in those parks for a non-thrill ride 7 year old to keep busy for more than a day. We LOVE Universal, but my kids are older and will ride everything. November might be a bit cool for Discovery Cove or it may not. You just don't know....my kids would find it awesome though to do a day like that when it is cold here at home. SeaWorld also has really nice Christmas stuff and is a nice park to tour when it is cooler.

I personally would save Harry Potter/Universal until she is a bit older and you can get a lot more out of those parks, but that is just me.

Our norm is to do split stays at wdw and UO.
We usually do wdw first (the reason we started wdw first is because it’s so hard to leave wdw, but with some else fun to look forward to it’s easier. Then we stayed with wdw first because after using the unlimited ep at UO, we wouldn’t want to not have something like that at wdw).

At UO I’d suggest Portofino Bay Hotel.
Lots of vegetarian options at those resort restaurants! And you get the unlimited EP there. Also, they have a great pool.

For a first visit where you want down time, I’d say 3-4 days is good.
You can sleep in, hang at the pool, then head to parks later after the rains.
Or do the opposite- rope drop then when the rains start hang at resort and swim in the evenings and relax.

You can do a day at each park, have a completely parkless day, and maybe a day to hit up both parks again to do favorites or things you missed.

The spells in the HP areas are so fun! You can easily spend a solid half day or more in each HP area doing all the spells and watching all the different shows even if you don’t do the rides!
And the stores are a-mazing!

Then maybe hit up DC (we haven’t been there so no advice for DC).

You already know wdw so, I don’t have much to add.

Thank you! This is really helpful. I
Our norm is to do split stays at wdw and UO.
We usually do wdw first (the reason we started wdw first is because it’s so hard to leave wdw, but with some else fun to look forward to it’s easier. Then we stayed with wdw first because after using the unlimited ep at UO, we wouldn’t want to not have something like that at wdw).

At UO I’d suggest Portofino Bay Hotel.
Lots of vegetarian options at those resort restaurants! And you get the unlimited EP there. Also, they have a great pool.

For a first visit where you want down time, I’d say 3-4 days is good.
You can sleep in, hang at the pool, then head to parks later after the rains.
Or do the opposite- rope drop then when the rains start hang at resort and swim in the evenings and relax.

You can do a day at each park, have a completely parkless day, and maybe a day to hit up both parks again to do favorites or things you missed.

The spells in the HP areas are so fun! You can easily spend a solid half day or more in each HP area doing all the spells and watching all the different shows even if you don’t do the rides!
And the stores are a-mazing!

Then maybe hit up DC (we haven’t been there so no advice for DC).

You already know wdw so, I don’t have much to add.
Thank you - this is really helpful. I'll take a better look through the attractions at IoA. I've only done studios, and only really cared for the HP area (and Simpsons, although the ride made me sick!). I think it would be good to change it up since we've done WDW so much, and were just at DLR, so I feel we can skip MK. We honestly just want to get back to Epcot - we got married there (two Canadians got married at the Canadian pavilion....) and on our last trip (right before covid shut down) DD turned 3 there and wasn't super into Epcot.

We did a day trip to Universal, when we had just one child. We ended up renting a car for essentially just that day, but he was 2, so a car seat was necessary. With a 7 year old, you'll be more flexible with seating arrangements, and might be able to Uber with a booster or something like that.

For our trip this year, we're doing 5 nights at Disney and 3 nights at Universal. We have military promotional tickets, so we can't add Disney days. My 13 yo and 9 yo LOVE Harry Potter. The 9 yo listened to HP on audiobook, when she was 7/8. I haven't let her watch the last three movies yet.
We will be renting a car, because that's DH's preference.

We did a day trip to Universal, when we had just one child. We ended up renting a car for essentially just that day, but he was 2, so a car seat was necessary. With a 7 year old, you'll be more flexible with seating arrangements, and might be able to Uber with a booster or something like that.

For our trip this year, we're doing 5 nights at Disney and 3 nights at Universal. We have military promotional tickets, so we can't add Disney days. My 13 yo and 9 yo LOVE Harry Potter. The 9 yo listened to HP on audiobook, when she was 7/8. I haven't let her watch the last three movies yet.
We will be renting a car, because that's DH's preference.

We are thinking 5 WDW and 2 nights UO, but transferring to WDW late on the 3rd day (like dinner time). Maybe we will add an extra night - I guess it depends if we can match it with a holiday or PD day off school.

We are thinking November so she can see the xmas stuff, and we (DH and I) haven't seen UO at xmas. I'm back and forth as we seem to always be sick in November with flu season in school starting hard. Our last trip in Jan was too cold to swim, and I want to enjoy the pools.

I'm definitely worried about someone being sick on our trip, but our youngest just finished chemo, and his immune system should be mostly back to normal in December. Up until this week, we had to take him to the ER any time he got a fever.
So, the next few months should be practically blissful if any of the kids get sick.

November should be fine for the pools. I actually took my oldest into a CBR quiet pool in November, when he was 3 months old. But, I also took my kids to swim in the Gulf in February a couple years ago, so our tolerance for swimming in the cold is obnoxiously high (we did have wet suits). The Disney pool water is heated to 85 degrees, so as long as the air temp is over 60, my kids will want to be in the water every day, if I let them.

We're doing Universal at the end of the trip, because I want to take it a little slower.....or at least give DH the opportunity.

I'm definitely worried about someone being sick on our trip, but our youngest just finished chemo, and his immune system should be mostly back to normal in December. Up until this week, we had to take him to the ER any time he got a fever.
So, the next few months should be practically blissful if any of the kids get sick.

November should be fine for the pools. I actually took my oldest into a CBR quiet pool in November, when he was 3 months old. But, I also took my kids to swim in the Gulf in February a couple years ago, so our tolerance for swimming in the cold is obnoxiously high (we did have wet suits). The Disney pool water is heated to 85 degrees, so as long as the air temp is over 60, my kids will want to be in the water every day, if I let them.

We're doing Universal at the end of the trip, because I want to take it a little slower.....or at least give DH the opportunity.
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear. I hope his system is back up and strong and that you have an amazing trip - I bet he deserves it!

We just got back from a split stay at Poly and AKV. My boys are 8, 6 and 3. Poly has a great vibe, loved the monorail and boat transportation, and the boys loved the Stitch decor. Our longhouse (Moorea) was very close to the TTC for the monorail ride to EPCOT. We watched the MK fireworks from our balcony most nights, one night from the Lava pool. They had movies outside four nights a week. My boys enjoyed the Oasis pool as much as the Lava pool. We own DVC and the maintenance fees for the Poly stay were about 20% of the cost of rack. If you don't have DVC, you could possibly save money over rack by renting DVC points at the Poly or any other DVC property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter