Planning my day to go early or later on Castaway Cay...

tmoor

Mouseketeer
Going on our 5th Disney cruise, first time on the Fantasy. We've been to Castaway Cay on the Dream and both the classic ships. We didn't know about the second family beach when we went on our first cruise on the Dream so maybe that is why it didn't seem so crowded - possibly because we were not fighting for space near Pelican Plunge I guess. The second cruise we still did not "find" Pelican Plunge for some reason, or maybe because our DD was still kinda small and we had her little cousin with us, but again, we didn't feel it was too crowded at the first family beach. On the Magic last year, we FINALLY went to the second beach but got there pretty early so there was no line for Pelican Plunge and we easily snagged loungers and umbrellas and went down the slide a few times back to back. We dragged our little chairs to the water's edge with plenty of room for people to walk around us to get to the water. Maybe less than 45 minutes later people were just showing up in droves and seemed to all congregate at our shoulders, ankles, you name it - they were in our bubble. So we left and waited for the lunch buffet to open up.

This time I have this been there/done that kind of feeling and even though my DD liked Pelican Plunge, she wasn't super excited to go do it anymore but she is soooooooo excited about going on the AquaDuck (since she was too small to ride it when we were on the Dream for our first cruse). So here we are thinking about our upcoming Fantasy cruise. If I remember from our very first cruise on the Dream at the first family beach, their was the climbing platform with rope swimg or something like that and then fairly close by was a roped off area for snorkeling and you were not allowed in there for just swimming, you had to have snorkling vest as well to be in that area. Does that area still stay fairly non-crowded and allow you to just pull up a chair without being stepped on constantly? Or should we move up to the closest part of the beach toward the ship? I don't think there were chairs that far either way you went, so we would probably have to carry one wherever we decide to plop down. OR, is there any part of the second family beach where you could potentially move far enough away from the crowds that you aren't being stepped on?

I was thinking about just staying onboard the morning of CC so she can take advantage of the Aqua Duck and the pools without it being crowded but I noticed on the recent navigators the pools don't open until 11am or later depending on the pool and the Aquaduck doesn't open up until 1pm. We can always go the beaches when everyone starts heading back to the ship. Just can't seem to decide what is a good option with so little being open on the ship first thing that morning. So that seems to kinda point us toward just getting off the ship as early as possible and coming back to the ship and having lunch in Cabanas then ride the AquaDuck. Anyone have opinions either way as to what you like to do on CC day?

Thanks everyone.

Not sure of the hours. However, I think the beaches would be less crowded at say 2PM. That means at 1PM you can get on the Aquaduck a few times then head to the beach. However, I think by 1PM/2PM people will start coming back and make the line longer for Aquaduck. People more familiar with it will be able to chime in with specifics.

I know for me, I can only be out in the sun so long before I start getting sick. I expect to do CC hard and heavy until just after lunch then head back to the ship.

I can't think of any characters that are a must on CC so that isn't going to play into the plans. I guess we'll go to the beach for a short time then head back to the ship to have lunch in cabanas then ride the AquaDuck as soon as it opens - hopefully. Thanks for the responses.

I think the beach you might be talking about that was closest up by the ship without chairs, I believe that one is for boating, so you might not be able to bring a chair over to that part, not sure.

We head to the beach first thing in the morning and stay till the end. In your case, I would head to the beach as soon as possible, then head back to the ship after lunch.

I can't think of any characters that are a must on CC so that isn't going to play into the plans. I guess we'll go to the beach for a short time then head back to the ship to have lunch in cabanas then ride the AquaDuck as soon as it opens - hopefully. Thanks for the responses.

Captain Jack in his natural environment (as opposed to the POTC backdrop on the ship) is pretty unique... :)

It was the only time we saw Captain Jack or Captain Hook, but in both cases the lines were closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter