Planning for June Trip

GatorChris

Not of This World
Since we've stopped the home schooling thing and my wife has gone back to work as a teacher, we can't do my beloved mid-November trips anymore. So we're looking at June of 2020. That's a whopping 30 months since our last major trip! And I feel like I've lost a friend. SOOOOOO it's time to go back.

My wife's school (private) gets out earlier than most schools, so we were thinking that very first week of June. Do you think we'll be missing that big rush of summer breakers by going that week? And what are the odds that they'll have fireworks nightly that early in June? I realize it'll be a lot warmer than November. But...not as warm as WDW in June. So I'll take it! And tips or info would be awesome.

That is my favorite time to go to DL for a few reasons:
  1. warm enough to swim in a pool, but not too hot to make an afternoon at DL uncomfortable
  2. overcast in a.m., short sleeve weather in afternoon, light sweatshirt weather when sun goes down
  3. usually not too hot and not too cold
  4. hardly ever rains at that time of year
  5. not all schools are out quite yet. But you'll get AZ and UT families, who all get out of school around the Friday of Memorial Day weekend
  6. extended hours - like 8 am - 11 pm or 12 am
  7. usually hardly any rides down for refurbishment. DL often gets everything in operating order by Memorial Day.
  8. EMH is at 7 - 8 am, which means hardly anybody is there compared to an EMH of 8 - 9 am.
  9. usually fireworks every night
  10. usually 1-2 shows of Fantasmic every night
In the evenings in early June, there WILL be more people there than earlier in the day because of AP people who will go there after work for an hour or 2. Usually by mid-to-3rd week of June is when the So Cal APs are blocked out. We've been there in early June a few times now and despite the AP population getting in plenty of park time before their passes are blocked out, we still love it at that time of year. We've been able to do everything we wanted to without huge long lines for rides and attractions.

We always travel on the day after Memorial Day and spend the next five days in DLR. The crowds are manageable and the weather is good. All the rides are open and the fireworks are on.

We have gone to DL the first week of June many times and always love it! Long hours, not too crowded, great weather, and hardly any rides closed for refurbs. We have always had one or two grad nights during our trips, but the grads aren’t there in the morning hours and we don’t notice a huge issue at all in the evenings.

In the evenings in early June, there WILL be more people there than earlier in the day because of AP people who will go there after work for an hour or 2. Usually by mid-to-3rd week of June is when the So Cal APs are blocked out. We've been there in early June a few times now and despite the AP population getting in plenty of park time before their passes are blocked out, we still love it at that time of year. We've been able to do everything we wanted to without huge long lines for rides and attractions.

It looks like the SoCal pass ends in May, so we may not face the onslaught of AP holders. Looks good!

Thanks for tips, guys! Sounds like a pretty good time for us. I just booked at Park Place Inn, since we have 5 in the family and they have sofa beds for that third kid. Plus free breakfast, which I've had and it ain't too bad. And the big PLUS: right at the crosswalk.

I do feel weird not going to HoJo. That's been our go-to hotel since 2014. Love getting the park view rooms. Love the 7th floor sky light rooms. But, MAN, have their prices gone up. Compared to what I got on Orbitz, it would cost $700-900 more for the trip (depending on view), and I wouldn't even get a sofa bed. Or breakfast. Or SHORT WALK. For what they're charging, I could go across the street to the new Marriott place with awesome waterslides (and enough beds for my family of 5) and save $200. What on earth are they thinking at HoJo these days?

... I do feel weird not going to HoJo. That's been our go-to hotel since 2014...
FYI, Chris: If you can manage a trip during Dapper Days (usually one weekend in April and one weekend in November) and want to participate in the convention (Expo tickets are very inexpensive -- well under $20/each -- and you all could dress up and get great family photos!), there is now a DD discount for the HOJO. Check the DD website for details.

FYI, Chris: If you can manage a trip during Dapper Days (usually one weekend in April and one weekend in November) and want to participate in the convention (Expo tickets are very inexpensive -- well under $20/each -- and you all could dress up and get great family photos!), there is now a DD discount for the HOJO. Check the DD website for details.

Thanks for the tip! Would love to do HoJo park view again. I like them better than Paradise Pier!

There was a time when we did Dapper Days. Back when we homeschooled the kids. But with my wife going back to work so that I ca afford to become a pastor (how sad does that sound!), we're stuck with just doing the major school breaks. I totally miss my "normal" mid-November trip with all the Christmas decorations. Last time, we even got to be in the parade filming and go on TV! But we'll be doing summers for a while. Yeah, it's hot, but not WDW summer hot. It's not that much more crowded than "Christmas off-season" has been. Plus longer hours and fireworks nightly. That's all good. Trying to see the positives!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter