• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning a Disneyland trip 11 months after WDW

Auroraborealis18

Wilderness Queen
This is our first trip to either park in 2 weeks. I still really want to see Disneyland as it's Walt's park, you know? Plus it's smaller and I think easier with the kids. Also easier on the budget as we can go a few days and see most attractions. We also have friends out that way and family. Any suggestions and what's a good budget? We'd be going in January or February in 2019, and I'm planning on 4 days, with 2 days park. There's going to be 5 this time, 2 adults and 3 kids at Disney prices. On top of that, probably will go back to WDW next summer in August! The mouse has my soul! The mouse always wins.

You’ll have to run an estimate on your ticket costs + hotel costs first. Price on site and price offsite. That will help you formulate a budget and give you an idea of what you’re looking at. With 2 days you’ll get highlights but not all of it. Also if you’re during the week you won’t have nighttime entertainment.

You’ll have to run an estimate on your ticket costs + hotel costs first. Price on site and price offsite. That will help you formulate a budget and give you an idea of what you’re looking at. With 2 days you’ll get highlights but not all of it. Also if you’re during the week you won’t have nighttime entertainment.
Looking on one of my favorite travel sites, I saw that some people recommend 4 or more days. I worry the kids will get bored with less parks vs WDW but the closer attractions make up for it.

Oh trust me you will not be bored with 4 days at Disneyland! Last summer we went for 5 days and still didn’t do everything.
That's sounds good for them! I was worried about the number of attractions. I think they will be fine! Next year maybe Universal Hehe.

Looking on one of my favorite travel sites, I saw that some people recommend 4 or more days. I worry the kids will get bored with less parks vs WDW but the closer attractions make up for it.
There may be only 2 parks but there is a lot to do in each park especially DL. You won't see it all in 4 days. WDW parks are more spread out than DL. DL has a lot more attractions packed into a smaller area. The kids definitely won't get bored.

I would stay off site when staying at DL. There are a lot of hotels in walking distance here unlike WDW. At WDW it makes more sense to stay onsite. Unless you can afford the high prices for the onsite hotels then of course that would be even better.

I would stay off site when staying at DL. There are a lot of hotels in walking distance here unlike WDW. At WDW it makes more sense to stay onsite. Unless you can afford the high prices for the onsite hotels then of course that would be even better.
I priced on the website and I'd save much more staying off-site. We could stay longer and spend more time at the parks. I'm going to buy our airfare in the next 2 months and find a hotel in the next few weeks. Then I can save for the tickets and food etc. I guess we're going to Disneyland!!!

This thread will give you lots of good information for your trip planning: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. For tickets and other savings, look at Mousesavers.com and LMT (or LMT Club). Google for a free membership code -- don't pay the $50 membership fee!
January and February will have more refurbs scheduled (so more rides down), shorter hours, less staffing, and the low season entertainment schedule (as mentioned above, this means nighttime entertainment on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays only). You can still have a wonderful time in the parks, but the more you know about low season, the better you'll be able to plan. This thread has great information on choosing a hotel at DLR: https://www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/.

A site I frequently use for booking hotels that has good deals like 3rd and 4th nights free is getawaytoday.com. you may want to check it out.

A site I frequently use for booking hotels that has good deals like 3rd and 4th nights free is getawaytoday.com. you may want to check it out.
I checked there often when deciding between WDW and DL for our first trip. I picked WDW but want to visit Disneyland in the future. They have great deals there! Thanks!
This thread will give you lots of good information for your trip planning: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. For tickets and other savings, look at Mousesavers.com and LMT (or LMT Club). Google for a free membership code -- don't pay the $50 membership fee!
January and February will have more refurbs scheduled (so more rides down), shorter hours, less staffing, and the low season entertainment schedule (as mentioned above, this means nighttime entertainment on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays only). You can still have a wonderful time in the parks, but the more you know about low season, the better you'll be able to plan. This thread has great information on choosing a hotel at DLR: https://www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/.
Thank you!! This is what I was looking for. I had heard of lmt club before but heard criticism too. Are you a member and what do youike most about it?

Absolutely won't. There are more attractions at the 2 parks in DLR combined than at all 4 WDW parks combined. Let that sink in! Afternoon breaks are also much easier than at WDW, so I would recommend an offsite hotel you can walk to the parks from, the closer the better. Google maps is your friend, when you find a hotel you like I also recommend searching here on the DL forum on the DIS for reviews on it and it's proximity to the parks :)

I wouldn't want less that 3 days at DL - one day focused on each park and one to go back and do your favorite things again. DL, even with its smaller footprint, has a ton of things to do! How old are your kids? You talk about it being easier with kids, which makes me think stroller-age, but then you talked about being bored, which makes me think teen (though most teenagers could spend a week at either and not be bored). If they are younger, you may need to build in nap and pool time.

Absolutely won't. There are more attractions at the 2 parks in DLR combined than at all 4 WDW parks combined. Let that sink in! Afternoon breaks are also much easier than at WDW, so I would recommend an offsite hotel you can walk to the parks from, the closer the better. Google maps is your friend, when you find a hotel you like I also recommend searching here on the DL forum on the DIS for reviews on it and it's proximity to the parks :)
Right now I'm looking at the majestic, the nicer Marriott's and Hilton as well as the Howard Johnson. Kinda tempted to go budget on the hotels to add more days and table meals.

I wouldn't want less that 3 days at DL - one day focused on each park and one to go back and do your favorite things again. DL, even with its smaller footprint, has a ton of things to do! How old are your kids? You talk about it being easier with kids, which makes me think stroller-age, but then you talked about being bored, which makes me think teen (though most teenagers could spend a week at either and not be bored). If they are younger, you may need to build in nap and pool time.
Yeah we try to keep a schedule. My older 2 like to stay up and one is a big night owl. The other will stay up late and wake up refreshed like normal. The little kids have the same setup, one night owl and one early bird. My oldest is less easily wowed and my 10 hear old thinks Disney has the most beautiful scenery he's ever seen.
What ages are the kids?
I have kids from 4 to 12. A good spread in there lol. My other kids aren't going on this trip due to other things going on, so I wanted a big trip with all of us. I have 2 littles under 8, and 2 big guys over 9.

I priced on the website and I'd save much more staying off-site. We could stay longer and spend more time at the parks. I'm going to buy our airfare in the next 2 months and find a hotel in the next few weeks. Then I can save for the tickets and food etc. I guess we're going to Disneyland!!!
We have a similar plan, WDW this August (including MNSSHP) and Disneyland in April 2019. For Disneyland, I'm looking at 2 day park hoppers, 1 day in LA, 2 days in San Diego and 3 nights in Las Vegas.

We have a similar plan, WDW this August (including MNSSHP) and Disneyland in April 2019. For Disneyland, I'm looking at 2 day park hoppers, 1 day in LA, 2 days in San Diego and 3 nights in Las Vegas.
I think you have a great plan! Sounds fun and it's a great mix of locations. Are you looking at a City pass or go San Diego card etc? It's a mix of attractions for as much as you can experience for a set amount of time. We're looking at 3 or 4 days in park and another 3 on the beach.

I am all in favor of going budget on the hotels and using the savings for extras like the WOC dessert party or a Fantasmic dining package!

Desert Inn and Suites usually has affordable rooms which can accommodate larger families. But the pool is indoors. The Park Vue Inn has double queen+bunk bed rooms as well as triple queen rooms. The room includes free breakfast. Pool is outdoors.

I’ve stayed at Hojos before and loved it. No free breakfast. Room super clean. Pool plus a separate water play area for kids. Room was super clean. Parking is free. The walk is 7-8 min in the am and about 10 later in the day.

Best Western Park Place Inn is right next to Park Vue Inn, so it's right at the cross walk. BWPPI has an outdoor pool, free breakfast, but parking you have to pay for. I'm not sure if they can accomodate 5 or 6 in 1 room.

The Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel tends to get mixed reviews. I think it used to be a Sheraton, but it's no longer a Sheraton hotel because of quality problems (or at least that's what I recall reading here on the DIS many moons ago). If you're hoping for a hotel that's within walking distance to the park entrance, this hotel is definitely not it.

You could also consider the Candy Cane Inn. Their rooms can sleep up to 5. Includes free breakfast and a free shuttle that's only for that hotel (the shuttle is free, by the way, some of the other hotels like the Hilton or Hyatt might charge you per person). Plus it's 10 min or less walk to the main gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter