planning a boston trip!

Blueeyes101817

DIS Veteran
Hi all-
I am planning a girls trip with a few friends of mine--we are all in our late 20s/early 30s and just getting away for a few days. Boston keeps coming up as an idea so wanted to get some ideas from you guys. The only thing we know we would want to do is a tour of fenway park. Other than that, we are clueless! I heard to stay at the waterfront..is this a good idea?
Any recommendations on hotels or things to do would be great! We will be driving but would like to just leave the car parked while we are there!
Thanks!

Sam Adams brewery tour? They are on the Orange Line of the T (subway system). Check out directions/stop name on their website.

Take a Duck Tour. It's a little expensive, but you get a great tour of the city and a "splash down" into the Charles River for awhile. I am a native (grew up <20 miles from Boston) and I LOVED the tour!

Tour the USS Constitution in the Charlestown Navy Yard. You can take the water shuttle (part of the T system) from the Aquarium. Definitely wait for a tour of Old Ironsides; although you can explore the upper deck on your own anytime, you'll only get below decks on a tour- and the guides are great.

Go to the Museum of Fine Arts.

If you are in Boston at the right time, go see the Boston Ballet perform The Nutcracker. Check their schedule to see what else they are performing if you aren't there just before Christmas.

Blue Man Group!

For a decent overview of the city, go up to the top of the Prudential Tower. It's breathtaking if you go at dusk, as the city lights are coming up.

Hotels are very expensive in Boston (and parking is ridiculous!). If you use Priceline, be aware that sometimes in the older cities, Priceline's guarantee of bedding for two people will mean a small room with one double bed. It's not as bad as NYC, but Boston hotel rooms can be pretty small. IF you use Hotwire, go to betterbidding.com and see if you can figure out what the hotel will be before purchasing. We have stayed at The DoubleTree over on the edge of the Theater District, the Marriott on Long Wharf (by the Aquarium), and the REsidence Inn in Cambridge. The T stops at the Marriott in Cambridge, and the Residence Inn is about a 3 minute walk away (you basically walk out of the REs Inn, cross the street, walk through the Marriott Lobby, cross the street, and you are at the T station). If you stay in Cambridge, check carefully as to the location of the T stops, or you'll be walking/driving more than you might want to (the Hyatt Regency has amazing river/city views but it's about a 15 minute walk to the T). Don't stay in Dorchester. I ALWAYS check out hotels on trip advisor.com before making a reservation. They have never steered me wrong!

I just got back from a 4 day weekend in Boston. I've stayed in the city before and it is expensive. There were 7 of us going this time so we stayed in Andover, MA which is about a 20-25 minute drive to Boston. We also went to Maine and New Hampshire, so it was a central location for us. When we went into Boston we parked at the garage in Alewife, which is the last T stop on the red line and we got full day passes. Parking was only $7. Had a great stay and I will definitely do it that way next time I go as well

Love Boston!!! Fenway is the best...we saw 2 games while we were there last. We also went to Salem, Freedom trail, did a trolley tour, visited Harvard, Faneuil Hall Marketplace and of course Cheers. We stayed at Marriott Long Wharf and it was beautiful. We did a lot of eating...tons of great restaurants nearby!!

If you enjoy history two places I highly recommend visiting are the Prudential Skywalk And the tea party museum.

If you have time, try the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum - it's a gem.

There are 3 "burying grounds" on the Freedom Trail, and I love going by all of them, although I think Granary is my favorite. (Of course, that's only if you like visiting historic cemeteries.)

Try visiting the North End; eat Italian, but try to manage to save room and go to one of various pastry shops. (Or just skip dinner and pig out on cannoli and marzipan. . .)

I haven't been to the Harvard Museum of Natural History in about 12 years, but it's on my list to visit the next time I go. It's an amazing place.

It depends on how many days you have, but I'd try to get out to Salem and just meander, with the thought in mind that you might try to hit The House of the Seven Gables, maybe, and definitely just enjoy the funky vibe of the place. (If you like Indian, there's a great place close to the statue of Elizabeth Montegomery,btw.)

You might also take the National Parks Ferry out to Georges Island to see Ft. Warren. (Something else I haven't done in about a decade and would like to do!) Or maybe take a whale watching tour, those are fun.

Spend some time meandering Newbury Street. It's a blast, but lock up your credit card, otherwise, oh my, it's easy to be bad on Newbury Street. . .

I've had fun just meandering in Cambridge as well, although I know where there's a great Ethiopian restaurant and a couple of nicer thrifts, so that helps, LOL.

There's just so much to do in Boston! I can think of many other things, but they're mainly v.v. history heavy (Plimoth Plantation, any one of several house museums etc.) because that's what I'm into.

As for a hotel, I think I'd find something in Newton, Cambridge or Brookline close to a T stop and do that rather than staying IN Boston. Just me, although, if I ever stayed in Boston, it would have to be at the Parker - it's supposedly haunted and they will give you one of the "haunted" rooms if you ask for it.

Hmm, on that note, there's a haunted room at the Wayside Inn in Sudbury (the one in the Longfellow poem) that is great, great fun. You can go by Concord and see Alcott's home and visit Walden pond and do the whole Concord poets touristing then follow up with the Concord and Lexington history.

Okay, I've rambled long enough. . .now you've got me planning my next trip up that way!

We stayed at the Intercontinental on the waterfront through Hotwire a few weeks ago for under $150/night and within walking distance to everywhere:thumbsup2 There is a parking garage just around the corner that is much cheaper than the hotel parking but if I were staying 4 days I'd most likely park outside the city (although I'd stay in city) and take the train in and save loads of $$ that way.

A couple of things I think your age group would like: Howl at the Moon, House of Blues (check for concerts) right near Fenway, Chinatown for lunch, Durgin Park for dinner, walk the Freedom Trail, maybe go over to Cambridge?

Actually, if you don't mind using public transportation every day, you might consider staying in Cambridge...there are several good hotels not far from the T and much less expensive (both hotels and restaurants) than in the city itself.

Have fun!

STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER!!! Big hugs:hug:
How are you??

Matt and I did a Boston tour a couple years ago. We used the Go Boston card
http://www.smartdestinations.com/bo...Bos-p1.html?aiFunnelBos=true&pass=Bos_Prod_Go

We did the Sam Adams tour, had lunch at the original Cheers, enjoyed the Swan boats in the Boston Common, did a tour of the city, walking tour of the Freedom Trail including Paul Revere's house and a tour of Fenway. I had cannoli at Mike's Pastry(have one for me!) and we did a whale watch tour. I loved it all!!

I enjoyed the Go Boston card because there were so many extra options so if we were near something or it was going to rain we would change the plans to something else on the Go Boston list.

Have a great trip and happy to see you here.:flower3:

Thanks all! Ill be seeing the girls this week and we will be planning it. thank you so much for the ideas!!
and Hi tina--its been ages! Im doing well :) How are you and matt?

Big question is when is the trip? Some things can be seasonally better than others.

Check out www.scullersjazz.com/packages.html
Get the Jazz and Dinner package and an overnight stay is only 99.00...I did this for my son for his birthday, He is your age and he loved it.
It is very reasonable....The Doubletree Suites by Hilton is very nice and right on the Charles river...Book with the Jazz dinner package and the 2 room suite is only 99.00.
The best deal around ..IMO.
Location, Location, Location.
Also...Boston Trolley Tours has a winter special on the tickets...Jump on and off all week for a one day ticket...Use this for transportation around Boston during your stay. The tour is very informative and stops by all the places you would want to see in Boston.
www.livingsocial.com and www.groupons.com
Also, has great deals.

Boston can be very expensive...However...you can get some great deals depending on the time of year you come here.

If you go to Faneuil Hall...Stop by Sterling's for a Martini.

I just checked Scullers for November....65.00 for the Show and Dinner and The 2 room suite would be 99.00.
You cannot beat that for a hotel room in Boston. Plus Dinner and a Show.
Have Fun! Boston is a great place to visit.

we just did the sam adams tour this past weekend.. they give you a map of some cool local pubs and we also got a decal that we could use at doyles and with the decal you got the free sam adams glass after your purchased your beer... kinda cool. Sam adams you also keep your glass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter