Planet Fitness

JulielovesDisney

<font color=darkorchid>Hakuna Matata<br><marquee><
I am moving into a new (and first! yay!) apartment in October. I want to really get back in shape and start working out again. So I looked into gyms in the area, and there are only 2 that are close. A YMCA that is $50/month. There's no way I can afford that based on rent and student loan payments, plus utilities and other needs. The only other one is Planet Fitness, which is very affordable.

Buuuuttttt I always refused to join a Planet Fitness. I heard they are super sensitive about the "gymtimidation" and if anyone complains about you making them feel uncomfortable, they'll kick you out immediately.

Now, I'm not one to feel intimidated by the muscley men that work out. I always used to work out next to football players at my college's gym. I'm more nervous about how strict they are about "gymtimidation."

Am I being silly? If anyone is a member at a Planet Fitness, any info is greatly appreciated! :-)

Don't make fun of or bother other people, and don't grunt and show off while lifting. That's pretty much it, never had a problem.

I think we are quitting the YMCA for my DD's swim team so I am also looking for a new gym. How do people like PF? It's on my short list.

Don't make fun of or bother other people, and don't grunt and show off while lifting. That's pretty much it, never had a problem.

Thanks! That's what I figured it was. I just didn't know if it was a stuffy over-bearing atmosphere. That was the impression I got from their website and descriptions of their policies.

Thanks! That's what I figured it was. I just didn't know if it was a stuffy over-bearing atmosphere. That was the impression I got from their website and descriptions of their policies.

Go in and check it out. Different gyms offer different classes, equipment, atmosphere, and extras. I think I checked out ten before deciding on which one to join. I drive about 15 miles to get to mine. It wasn't the closest but it was the one I liked the best.

If Planet Fitness isn't for you and you don't want to go with the Y you might have to widen your search radius. Good luck.

I'd love to be able to join Planet Fitness because they're SO CHEAP! But the closest one is just simply too far. In order to stick to our regimen of going after work, we've found we need a gym that's no more than 5-10 minutes away. :lmao: I've only heard good things about PF...haven't heard of anyone being kicked out.

A lot of people mention worrying about "meatheads" in a gym, but honestly, I would choose a gym PACKED with muscular guys in a heartbeat. They always stick to the freeweights, benches, and mirrors and mind their own business. Then I have all the cardio equipment and resistance equipment to myself, and that is heaven! My personal idea of gym hell is a gym packed with women working out in pairs who spend 45 minutes on a treadmill at 2MPH while they shout at each other over the music. :sad2:

I did really well with PF and I don't know why I quit. Actually plan to go back. I just keep to myself and do my thing. I do remember being paranoid about exercising too hard, if that makes sense. Ours was so full of just really.... lightweight (if that's the term) exercisers. I'm no super athlete, but for example, I would try to do the circuit area and nobody was actually doing the circuit. You'd do a weight machine, then were supposed to do your own cardio on the steps. Nobody really did the cardio but me and I felt a little awkward. But I found that to be a pretty effective part of my workout.

My 17 year old sister got a Planet Fitness membership as soon as she got her license. She loves it and goes frequently. If she isn't intimidated by it, I would say anyone can go!

Planet Fitness does not have pools (at least the branches I know of.) If that is important to you, look elsewhere.

I've been going to PF for about 18 months. I was worried about being the old person there. But no problem at all. All types of people go to my gym and it is a fun atmosphere. No intimidation at all.

just out your city's community center. Some cities have their own gyms for people to use. I pay $10 per month for my gym, theres not as many machines though but theres not much ppl in it in the first place so its all good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter