• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plaise Halp!! Buy or rent for upcoming BIG trip?

SorcererC

Earning My Ears
I have NO idea how to do this. We are taking a large family trip to Hawaii in July 2022 for my in-laws 50th. We offered to supply the rooms if everyone would go to Aulani, thinking we have 6 people to pay for (2 adults, 4 kids) and if the rooms were taken care of financially (yay DVC) then this trip would be more feasible for us (everyone else is traveling in 4s or 2s).

The number of people has grown and now we need to cover rooms for 18 people!! 3 kids, 2 teenagers, 3 young adults, and 10 adult adults (5 family units, but some could be combined in rooms). With the current borrowing restrictions and a Dec. 2021 trip we already had planned, I'm looking at only 401 points available during the most expensive (points-wise) time of year. (Can't move it because it is the only time 1 of the people can go and in-laws insist EVERYONE MUST ATTEND (even though I was betting on a few of the young adults not going)).

I had originally planned on buying another contract, but with all of the latest changes at WDW, I'm not convinced another loan right now is the best idea long term. I have no idea how to rent points just for some of the trip though. Then again, if I'm dropping a bunch of money on renting points, should I just put that toward a contract? And I'm concerned about booking enough rooms at the 7 month window. Has anyone else planned a large trip like this at a non-home resort. Any advice, tips or tricks?

(Family is offering to provide some funds or cover other expenses for us in return, but we all know how that goes so I have to plan as if this is a gift to everyone and we're still on the hook for the rest of our costs)

(CCV is our home resort)

I cannot answer your specific questions, but I do have a word of warning: Planning something nearly a year in advance for 18 people is a risky proposition for the person paying for the rooms, i.e., you. Because some/many/a few of these 18 people may end up canceling on you and you'll be stuck with the rooms and their cost, whether it's cash or points.

I have NO idea how to do this. We are taking a large family trip to Hawaii in July 2022 for my in-laws 50th. We offered to supply the rooms if everyone would go to Aulani, thinking we have 6 people to pay for (2 adults, 4 kids) and if the rooms were taken care of financially (yay DVC) then this trip would be more feasible for us (everyone else is traveling in 4s or 2s).

The number of people has grown and now we need to cover rooms for 18 people!! 3 kids, 2 teenagers, 3 young adults, and 10 adult adults (5 family units, but some could be combined in rooms). With the current borrowing restrictions and a Dec. 2021 trip we already had planned, I'm looking at only 401 points available during the most expensive (points-wise) time of year. (Can't move it because it is the only time 1 of the people can go and in-laws insist EVERYONE MUST ATTEND (even though I was betting on a few of the young adults not going)).

I had originally planned on buying another contract, but with all of the latest changes at WDW, I'm not convinced another loan right now is the best idea long term. I have no idea how to rent points just for some of the trip though. Then again, if I'm dropping a bunch of money on renting points, should I just put that toward a contract? And I'm concerned about booking enough rooms at the 7 month window. Has anyone else planned a large trip like this at a non-home resort. Any advice, tips or tricks?

(Family is offering to provide some funds or cover other expenses for us in return, but we all know how that goes so I have to plan as if this is a gift to everyone and we're still on the hook for the rest of our costs)

(CCV is our home resort)
My feeling are that purchasing another contract just to cover a single big trip is a bad idea. Buy if you intend to use those extra points into the future bit otherwise the answer is NO.

Have you considered looking for a points transfer from another DVC owner? No long-term commitment to pay dues annually and you would control the reservation. IMO, it works out better than renting a reservation because you could end up with people who pull out at the last minute and you have more rooms than you need.

I agree with the prior poster.

You could potentially buy a subsidized Aulani contract, assuming it comes with banked points that are good long enough for the family trip.

Or just buy a transfer in of Aulani points needed for the trip (if possible).

But considering how many points you would likely need (500+), I don't expect it to be cheap....

I'd also say that for a July trip, renting points with an Aulani home resort would help if any of your trip bridges the July 4 holiday, which is a busy time at Aulani. I'd not want to be trying to book that many units on non-home points for July 4, and it doesn't sound like buying Aulani points for the long term is a good plan for you.

And to have the points in time, you'd have to buy direct to boot.

You really should rent or transfer in.

Unless you want the annual dues every year and you will have no trouble using those points, I would also have a transfer in or rent points.

Even if it costs you a few dollars now $$$ - it's a one time thing/trip and done. Hopefully no one changes their mind/things happen. Not many people are used to planning so far in advance as DVC/Timeshare owners do.

Even if you have transferred points, if one cancels, you can try to rent out that reservation or hopefully have the points in your account and you can use them/take another trip.

Good luck. It's fun planning a big vacation and hopefully you won't any any issues/or stress over it. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks all! I'm definitely worried about booking a bunch of stuff and people cancelling, so I'd like to be able to use those points another way if that happens. Transferring in sounds like it might be the best bet.

Aulani has a ton of cash rooms. I would book what you can on your contract, and other people can stay cash. They can come do their laundry in your 2BR or whatever. Cover the six people you planned to cover and everyone else can figure it out. Maybe I would be willing to transfer in some points and get a grand villa.

I definitely would not be buying a contract for a one-time need, especially with crazy resale pricing right now.

I'd also offer to logistically help other families rent points or book cash stays. Very different than you being on the hook for all of this non-refundable cost for extended family.

Edit: Checked out Aulani's chart, OUCH on those GVs!!!! And they're booked solid for July 2022! What?!!

If I'm going to Aulani, I'm going oceanview. 401 points gets you almost 5 nights in a 2BR ocean view. Transfer enough to get 6 or 7 and you're set. Geez, I don't think I realized Aulani's charts were that bad. Honestly, I'd be looking at renting units in other timeshare systems. There are plenty that aren't Disney. I'm sure Aulani is nice, but I'm not covering 20 freeloading relatives on that chart!

Last edited:
(Can't move it because it is the only time 1 of the people can go and in-laws insist EVERYONE MUST ATTEND (even though I was betting on a few of the young adults not going)).

Both of these points, at almost a year away, would red flag any purchase or borrow for me.

I had been looking at adding another contract anyway, but have been a bit scared off by prices on resale and all the general wonkiness around the many Disney announcements lately.

If I transferred points from someone else, would I have the ability to use those for something else if people cancel? (because of the possibility of some people backing out but the main family members likely going, was going to try to book 2 two bedrooms and the rest as studios or hotel)

If I transferred points from someone else, would I have the ability to use those for something else if people cancel? (because of the possibility of some people backing out but the main family members likely going, was going to try to book 2 two bedrooms and the rest as studios or hotel)

If you transfer points, those points stay the same as if they were your points, they're just in your account. UY, home resort do not change. You used to have to call to use them, ugh. They might be a little easier to use now, but I'd be watching for sure.

You can't bank or borrow transfered points.

You could get Dec 2021 points, any home resort, book in December 2021 for July 2022 at 7 months. If something goes wrong, you still have five more months after the trip to use them. I'd use your own points for the iffy reservations, because at least can still bank those (maybe?).

Last edited:
If you transfer points, be careful about the use year and your trip dates, banking windows, and so forth. then if people cancel, you can at least bank them, assuming they cancel at least 31 days out. You may even consider having them give you a deposit that they will forfeit if they cancel, but will refund to them when you all arrive in Hawaii. Frame the request in a way that it will help them save up some spending money.

So you were planning to cover for six people and now you're on the hook for 18??? Did anyone even ask, or was it just "well if you're paying I'm in!" In any case you are a good soul to provide this for your family, I hope you can work everything out.:)

I'd also offer to logistically help other families rent points or book cash stays. Very different than you being on the hook for all of this non-refundable cost for extended family.
Concur. From my experience (and that of friends as well), others going MUST have a decent amount of "skin the game" to actually realize that they are, in fact, committed to the trip. You should not take out a loan to buy another contract for someone else's lodging.
Transferring points is a decent solution, but I'd certainly get at least 25-50% of cost of transfer paid up front (before I'd get the transfer) by those relatives and make the other 50-75% a "Gift" if you want. Send them the "Cash" rate on Disney and offer up the 25-50% of transferred points rate and see how many commit. That's a great "deal" IMHO.

Last edited:
I think may be a good option. Isn't there a another timeshare right next door to Aulani?
Yes, the Marriott Ko Olina is just down the block, and cash rates as well as rental rates via RedWeek or TUG are much lower than for Aulani! There’s also the Ko Olina Beach Villas, not quite as big and fancy as Aulani or the Marriott but quite a bit more reasonably priced as well.

So you were planning to cover for six people and now you're on the hook for 18??? Did anyone even ask, or was it just "well if you're paying I'm in!" In any case you are a good soul to provide this for your family, I hope you can work everything out.:)

Oh no, I offered for more than 6! My family unit is 6 and that was going to be expensive no matter what to go to Hawaii. I convinced my in-laws to go with Aulani saying I'd cover rooms for them and my two SILs' immediate family units (since we've already "paid" for it). I knew it could be up to 16 people total (including my 6), but initially the number was only 13. Now it looks like not only are all 16 going, but 2 more as well (in-laws' cousin/best friends). So 18. I did offer to cover 5-ish rooms (or combo thereof) originally, so this was always on me. Bigger issue is the 6th room AND them insisting on the 2nd or 3rd week of July.

If you transfer points, those points stay the same as if they were your points, they're just in your account. UY, home resort do not change. You used to have to call to use them, ugh. They might be a little easier to use now, but I'd be watching for sure.

You can't bank or borrow transfered points.

You could get Dec 2021 points, any home resort, book in December 2021 for July 2022 at 7 months. If something goes wrong, you still have five more months after the trip to use them. I'd use your own points for the iffy reservations, because at least can still bank those (maybe?).

Transferred points cannot be borrowed, so make sure you get the right UY points. Reservation must start on or after valid date of UY points start date.

However, transferred point can be banked, if done before the 4 months banking deadline, so watch for this and give cancellation deadlines.

DVC did update website to allow you to use transferred points online now without the need to call in.

For OP, if you decide to transfer points in, make sure you get enough as it's limited to one transfer in or out per UY, so you can only get 1 transfer, and it needs to be large enough points.

And transfers would best if insisting on Aulani, but I honestly would look into other timeshare systems and renting.

Great3

Oh no, I offered for more than 6! My family unit is 6 and that was going to be expensive no matter what to go to Hawaii. I convinced my in-laws to go with Aulani saying I'd cover rooms for them and my two SILs' immediate family units (since we've already "paid" for it). I knew it could be up to 16 people total (including my 6), but initially the number was only 13. Now it looks like not only are all 16 going, but 2 more as well (in-laws' cousin/best friends). So 18. I did offer to cover 5-ish rooms (or combo thereof) originally, so this was always on me. Bigger issue is the 6th room AND them insisting on the 2nd or 3rd week of July.
I can’t see you being required to cover the 2 additional, unless you yourself expressly invited them. You might consider asking people (at minimum, those 2 “extras”) to cover the dues cost of the rooms they occupy - that will be a great bargain compared to the cash or even the rental price. As another poster mentioned, people seem to assume that timeshare rooms are free and don’t think anything of canceling last minute if they’re not on the hook for any of the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter