places to visit within 2 hours of Disney

wowzadisney

Earning My Ears
hey Everyone,

this will be our 3rd and probably final trip to disneyland, we are coming from canada..

in our previous trips we had 3 park days and 3 free days, things we did in the free days.

1. LA - Griffith observatory, Hollywood walk of fame area, the grove, Beverly hills, rodeo drive.
2. Santa Monica
3. Beaches - Laguna, Newport beach, Huntington beach

is there any other good places ( parents and a 6 and 3 year old) within about 2 hrs drive from disney?

hey Everyone,

this will be our 3rd and probably final trip to disneyland, we are coming from canada..

in our previous trips we had 3 park days and 3 free days, things we did in the free days.

1. LA - Griffith observatory, Hollywood walk of fame area, the grove, Beverly hills, rodeo drive.
2. Santa Monica
3. Beaches - Laguna, Newport beach, Huntington beach

is there any other good places ( parents and a 6 and 3 year old) within about 2 hrs drive from disney?

you can try legoland in Carlsbad. It's almost to San Diego, so you could also explore San Diego as well (La Jolla, etc.) ....
There's also SeaWorld in San Diego, the San Diego Zoo, etc.

San Diego is the obvious choice, great city worth even a couple of day trips.

Do you mean 2 hours on a good day, or 2 hours in bad traffic? Traffic is just a way of life in Southern California, so be prepared.

What time of year? Big Bear could be fun in the summer. Also in the winter, but the weather makes travel time unpredictable.

https://www.bigbear.com

It's kind of on the fringe of 2 hours from Anaheim, but maybe Santa Barbara? My little one was 11 when we went, but only for a few hours. Kind of hard to explain, but it was an overnight train/bus trip. However, we had a fun time on State Street on a Saturday night. I've also been there a few times during the day, the beaches there are quite nice even in the fall. A bit cold during winter though, which I've done.

https://santabarbaraca.com

It's kitschy and more than 2 hours on a good day, but maybe Solvang? It's kind of a trying to create a Danish village and has been so for over 70 years. I've only passed through on a bus where it was extremely easy to figure out where I was, but it seemed like harmless tourist fun. I've heard the town of Leavenworth, Washington (with a Bavarian village theme) was inspired by Solvang.

https://solvangusa.com/things-to-do/family-fun/
https://jjandthebug.com/solvang-with-kids/

SOLVANGJULEFEST-photocredittoSlocoastpix-SolvangUSA-81a4c29355004addb852026b5a560f05.jpg

I haven't been, but I just learned that Regan Library has an actual Air Force One you can walk into. My kids would love it! Also Petersen Automotive Museum is on our list for our cars-obsessed (disney and real) kiddo. We haven't been yet but plan to go on out next trip in Feb. My personal love in LA is the Getty Villa museum (not the main Getty museum). I think kids will like it too (especially my 9yo).

Maybe the California Science Center? Unfortunately the Space Shuttle Endeavour will be moved off exhibit for several years at the end of 2023. They plan on a new display where it's vertical like it was on a launch platform.

At that age my kids loved Legoland. Most rides were right size for a 6 year olds but lots for the adventurous younger kids too.

Glad to find this thread. We'll be 3 adults visiting DL in May and using VDH as our home base - was thinking maybe 3 park days then 3-4 days sightseeing in SoCal. I have a nephew living about 30 miles from Anaheim so may try to meet him for a quick visit (dinner or something - possibly on our arrival day). Obviously San Diego is on the list for 1 day and considering the idea of a beach for a little while one day / maybe Griffith Observatory / Hollywood etc. DH wondered if it would be possible to maybe get tix for say a Jimmy Kimmel show taping or something like that? How much can we really accomplish in 1 day? If we were to go to a beach for a few hours which one would be the best / closest and someplace that we could conveniently combine with something else? If we venture into Hollywood does anybody have any insights into where we could maybe just centrally park for the day or anything? Is there a HOHO bus or anything that would be a good way to get around to everything touristy? I would really love to try to see at least 3 things on our list per day if we plan it right.

NOTE: We live in the DC suburbs and are used to heavy traffic / city driving / rush hours and cray cray drivers so are somewhat prepared for frustrating driving conditions. We understand WAZE will be our friend. We're actually spoiled by living here as we can just take the metro downtown when we have visitors and just walk around the National Mall for all of the major stuff (although it's a LOT of walking).

I think you will be surprised how far apart things are in southern California. San Diego is a large county with a lot to do. Disneyland to Downtown San Diego is approximately 95 miles. I'm not sure of your plans, but it will be difficult to drive down and do much in one day. Likewise, Disneyland to Hollywood is 30+ miles in the opposite direction. Both Griffith Observatory and Jimmy Kimmel can take several hours.

There are a few other threads with good recommendations in the Los Angeles area. I'll try to find them and link them.

I think you will be surprised how far apart things are in southern California. San Diego is a large county with a lot to do. Disneyland to Downtown San Diego is approximately 95 miles. I'm not sure of your plans, but it will be difficult to drive down and do much in one day. Likewise, Disneyland to Hollywood is 30+ miles in the opposite direction. Both Griffith Observatory and Jimmy Kimmel can take several hours.

There are a few other threads with good recommendations in the Los Angeles area. I'll try to find them and link them.
Thanks. Since we're coming from the east coast we'll have a little time adjustment to get used to and may want to plan the San Diego day on our first full day while we're still adjusting to the time difference. We can get up early and get going. We arrive on a Sat so this would be on a Sunday so no rush hour traffic to deal with...

Thanks. Since we're coming from the east coast we'll have a little time adjustment to get used to and may want to plan the San Diego day on our first full day while we're still adjusting to the time difference. We can get up early and get going. We arrive on a Sat so this would be on a Sunday so no rush hour traffic to deal with...
Have you considered flying into San Diego, spending the day there and then driving up to Anaheim?

Things are definitely more spread out in LA (and SoCal generally) than DC, the sights are spread all over the massive city and it can easily be an hours drive from one to the other just in LA itself. Public transport between places is sometimes good, mostly just OK and sometimes non existent. Parking in LA is simple enough but if you want to do a tour the HoHo buses are fine and have 3 routes. If you park at the Ovation Hollywood Mall on the corner of Hollywood Bvde and Highland Ave that’s convenient and inexpensive for the tours which leave from outside the Mall. There is also a Metro Station there so it’s one of the better linked areas in LA for Public Transport. Hollywood itself isn’t really something that takes too long to see unless you’re into wax museums, Ripleys museums and the like. JKL films across the road from the mall.

More worthwhile than Hollywood though is Griffith Park which has dozens of things to see and do, it’s not just the Onservatory. There are walks, trains, theatres, Museums, plenty to fill a day if so inclined. You could get a bus from the Ovation and the Dash service up the Hill into Griffith Park if you didn’t want to drive. There’s also the Beverly Grove area which has plenty to see with 2 good shopping malls, plenty of dining options, the Original Farmers Market, La Brea Tarpits, the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, LA Museum of Contemporary Art (undergoing renovations but a small section is still open), the Petersen Automotive Museum all in a very nice neighbourhood. Couple of days worth of activities there.

Then of course there’s Santa Monica with its beach, promenade, the Pier and plenty of great dining. Grand Central Market, The Broad and Disney Concert Hall downtown. The Getty Center and Villa, drive up the coast a little to and through Malibu. Manhattan Beach, a small upscale beach town near LAX, Long Beach for the Queen Mary and Aquarium, the studio Tours (WB, Sony, Paramount) in Burbank, the museums at Exposition Park although they’re moving the space Shuttle at the CA Science Center at the end of the year and heaps more. LA can fill several week long trips, I always find something new.

For Beach Towns, my favourites are in Orange County (where Disneyland is) like Newport Beach, Laguna Beach/Dana Point and Huntington Beach. Any of those could fill a day except probably HB.

if you have 3-4 days you should consider moving hotels but if you want to do day trips you’ll need to use the car. There are plenty of day trip options but PT from Anaheim will take ages, like 2, 2.5 Hours into LA Union Station then another 30 mins to Hollywood, longer to go elsewhere. Anaheim to Santa Monica shows around 3hrs by PT vs about an hour driving.

Haven’t even talked about SD but that city also has a lot to offer. We have certainly done day trips to LA and SD from LA but much prefer moving hotels and staying closer to what we want to see. Always enjoy Newport Beach as a day or half day trip along with Laguna and Huntington Beaches.

As above, I’d consider flying into SD, spend your spare days there then drive to Anaheim and maybe do a day trip into LA. Or vice versa, fly into LAX (or Burbank or Long Beach which are easier to navigate than LAX), spend a few days, move to Anaheim for DL and do a day trip to SD.

Or fly into LA for 2-3n, get a car and explore, drive to Anaheim for 3-4n near Disneyland, drive to SD for 2-3n and fly home from SAN.

Last edited:
Have you considered flying into San Diego, spending the day there and then driving up to Anaheim?
I guess the thought ran thru my head at some point for a hot second...haven't pulled the trigger on flights yet. I suppose I could set up another fare alert (I've been tracking in a couple of places but everything's still too high...prediction sites say to hold off until Feb-Mar).

Things are definitely more spread out in LA (and SoCal generally) than DC, the sights are spread all over the massive city and it can easily be an hours drive from one to the other just in LA itself. Public transport between places is sometimes good, mostly just OK and sometimes non existent. Parking in LA is simple enough but if you want to do a tour the HoHo buses are fine and have 3 routes. If you park at the Ovation Hollywood Mall on the corner of Hollywood Bvde and Highland Ave that’s convenient and inexpensive for the tours which leave from outside the Mall. There is also a Metro Station there so it’s one of the better linked areas in LA for Public Transport. Hollywood itself isn’t really something that takes too long to see unless you’re into wax museums, Ripleys museums and the like. JKL films across the road from the mall.

More worthwhile than Hollywood though is Griffith Park which has dozens of things to see and do, it’s not just the Onservatory. There are walks, trains, theatres, Museums, plenty to fill a day if so inclined. You could get a bus from the Ovation and the Dash service up the Hill into Griffith Park if you didn’t want to drive. There’s also the Beverly Grove area which has plenty to see with 2 good shopping malls, plenty of dining options, the Original Farmers Market, La Brea Tarpits, the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, LA Museum of Contemporary Art (undergoing renovations but a small section is still open), the Petersen Automotive Museum all in a very nice neighbourhood. Couple of days worth of activities there.

Then of course there’s Santa Monica with its beach, promenade, the Pier and plenty of great dining. Grand Central Market, The Broad and Disney Concert Hall downtown. The Getty Center and Villa, drive up the coast a little to and through Malibu. Manhattan Beach, a small upscale beach town near LAX, Long Beach for the Queen Mary and Aquarium, the studio Tours (WB, Sony, Paramount) in Burbank, the museums at Exposition Park although they’re moving the space Shuttle at the CA Science Center at the end of the year and heaps more. LA can fill several week long trips, I always find something new.

For Beach Towns, my favourites are in Orange County (where Disneyland is) like Newport Beach, Laguna Beach/Dana Point and Huntington Beach. Any of those could fill a day except probably HB.

if you have 3-4 days you should consider moving hotels but if you want to do day trips you’ll need to use the car. There are plenty of day trip options but PT from Anaheim will take ages, like 2, 2.5 Hours into LA Union Station then another 30 mins to Hollywood, longer to go elsewhere. Anaheim to Santa Monica shows around 3hrs by PT vs about an hour driving.

Haven’t even talked about SD but that city also has a lot to offer. We have certainly done day trips to LA and SD from LA but much prefer moving hotels and staying closer to what we want to see. Always enjoy Newport Beach as a day or half day trip along with Laguna and Huntington Beaches.

As above, I’d consider flying into SD, spend your spare days there then drive to Anaheim and maybe do a day trip into LA. Or vice versa, fly into LAX (or Burbank or Long Beach which are easier to navigate than LAX), spend a few days, move to Anaheim for DL and do a day trip to SD.

Or fly into LA for 2-3n, get a car and explore, drive to Anaheim for 3-4n near Disneyland, drive to SD for 2-3n and fly home from SAN.
Thanks for all the ideas & details (I'm taking notes in my phone for things to look up). Will definitely do more research on some of your ideas. Not going to move hotels tho. The advantage of staying at VDH is that 1) it's already booked and 2) it's relatively low cost OOP other than that silly transient tax. Not looking to increase our OOP expenses any more than necessary. Already having a mini-stroke over the price of DL park tix for 2 or 3 days (compared to what we always spent on our AP's in FL). Will definitely consider the idea of flying into SD and leaving out of one of the LA airports. It will all depend on pricing what I book. We have a CAP One miles card with a decent online travel section. I used miles to book our airfare to Aulani & our rental car this past spring. Their flight cost prediction seemed pretty good so I'm monitoring flights there again as well as thru Kayak and SW independently.

One nice thing is you get to use the car pool lanes. We found San Diego Zoo, Legoland etc. to be very doable in a day when staying at Disneyland.

Oh you’re staying on points. Then yeah, don’t move hotels, day trips are definitely doable. Just avoid the peak of the rush hours (7am to 9am and 4pm to 6pm is the worst of it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter