Places to visit that are not miserably hot in August?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Is there a secret reverse snowbird location somewhere for people who hate the heat as much as snowbirds hate the snow? I HATE August heat & humidity.

I prefer the US but would consider other places as long as humidity and temps are reliably low and the place is reliably safe and enjoyable. Considered trying to find the Northern Lights but it seems aurora borealis is not a big thing in August. Is there such a place?

Ireland :)

When we get a heatwave , the hottest it usually gets to 80 f max and thats for a maximum of 7 to 10 days. August temperature are usually 70f to 75f. It is humid, but not New Orleans or Florida humid.

Although many Americans do not like general lack of air conditioning in hotels, shops, public transport, homes etc etc. This makes it feel hotter than it actually is.

We get rain in August too, but its unpredictable.

Also our lack of ice in drinks is another thing that Americans complain about.

Is there a secret reverse snowbird location somewhere for people who hate the heat as much as snowbirds hate the snow? I HATE August heat & humidity.

I prefer the US but would consider other places as long as humidity and temps are reliably low and the place is reliably safe and enjoyable. Considered trying to find the Northern Lights but it seems aurora borealis is not a big thing in August. Is there such a place?
Pacific Northwest might work.

And I think that under normal circumstances, France would be quite comfortable. But when we went in late August last year the first week was a brutal heatwave (35-40C) going through Lyon, Marseille and Nice, and very comfortable for our second week (20-25C) in Paris.

Last edited:

My Dad went back and forth for a while - winters in Florida and summers in the Finger Lakes region of New York. It's beautiful!

Or maybe Lake George, another vacation spot we've been to in NY during the summer.

Ireland :)

When we get a heatwave , the hottest it usually gets to 80 f max and thats for a maximum of 7 to 10 days. August temperature are usually 70f to 75f. It is humid, but not New Orleans or Florida humid.

Although many Americans do not like general lack of air conditioning in hotels, shops, public transport, homes etc etc. This makes it feel hotter than it actually is.

We get rain in August too, but its unpredictable.

Also our lack of ice in drinks is another thing that Americans complain about.
Actually, I'd love to visit Ireland. Looks beautiful. My Dad went there on business when I was a wee little thing and he fooled me into thinking that he'd brought a Leprechaun back, but it had escaped...

I'll look at all of the suggestions.

We were originally thinking of Pacific Northwest but when I looked at the temps in Napa for August it still seemed to be super hot for me so it sort of landed in the nope category. I don't really know of stuff to do further up than Napa, this lady is not into hiking and I am not what anyone would call outdoorsy. While some people appreciate a beautiful mountain view all I think about is, "Uggh, the ticks and bugs," but I love strolling and exploring cute towns, fairs and festivals and such and my own pace.

I'll look at all of the suggestions.

We were originally thinking of Pacific Northwest but when I looked at the temps in Napa for August it still seemed to be super hot for me so it sort of landed in the nope category. I don't really know of stuff to do further up than Napa, this lady is not into hiking and I am not what anyone would call outdoorsy. While some people appreciate a beautiful mountain view all I think about is, "Uggh, the ticks and bugs," but I love strolling and exploring cute towns, fairs and festivals and such and my own pace.
The Pacific Northwest is considered WA and Oregon (and the west coast of British Columbia). Napa isn't really included in that. The Oregon Coast is spectacular with lots of little, cute towns to explore as well. Since it's right on the water they get lovely weather but it's not usually super hot.

Most of mainland Europe is out. Paris last year was probably hotter than Orlando! TREMENDOUS heat wave!
Yeah I don't know what was going on last year. I am very glad that the Paris half of our trip was comfortable. Lyon is lovely, but there was really nowhere that you could get away from the heat. Nice and Marseille at least had some sea breeze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter