places to eat for honeymoon

kellyteach02

Earning My Ears
I have only posted on this board a couple of times, but I really need your help! My fiance and I are going to DW for our honeymoon - I have narrowed the restaurants down to a few. Due to a restricted budget, we can only do 2-3 restaurants for dinner and 1 big breakfast. These are the ones I am looking at: Rainforest Cafe (AK), California Grill, Spoodles, Chef Mickey's (for breakfast), Planet Hollywood. Can anyone give me advice or opinions on these restaurants and if there are more that I should look into? Thanks for your help!! PS: We'll be going in June.

I have read lots of posts recommending the Cal Grill for during the WISHES fireworks show. Supposedly it is very romantic and a great view. Make sure the CM puts a note on your PS that this is your HM.

Stacey

To me, Rainforest and Planet Hollywood are chains and not Disney exclusive, so I wouldn't waste time on those... we have both here (Dallas) and other places. JMHO. Those are never on my list of places to go... if you're restricted to how many you can do, I would stick to places you can ONLY eat at WDW, just in case you're someplace else traveling and can eat those other chains later. But I understand some people really look forward to them... btw- I'm not impressed by either, which helps me mark them off my list LOL.

You can always go have dessert and drinks late one night at Planet Hollywood when you're down at PI or DTD and still get the experience without the expense of their food. Same with Rainforest.

Ohana's would be a great one! We are going in May, and I've read on here how wonderful it is.

I also LOVED Marakesh in Morroco, the atmosphere is relaxed and wonderful, the food is soooooo good and unique, and there is a band and bellydancer!

I've also heard how wonderful California Grill and Spoodles are, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with those! I haven't gotten to eat at either yet =(

Chef Mickeys is a great character breakfast. I also LOVE 1900 Park Faire breakfast but I'm a Mary Poppins nut.

HAVE A BLAST AND CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Another vote to ditch Planet Hollywood and Rain forest. If you must try one do RF. We ate lunch at PH in December. The food was nasty, and the bill was way too high for some lousy sandwiches. Chef Mickey's is our absolute favorite, but we have kids. One way that we like to budget is to do our big sit down meal at lunch, and then eat something less expensive for supper. Best of luck!

I definitely agree that you should not waste dinner on either Rainforest or PH - drinks or dessert maybe. For atmosphere that is unique, consider the Mexican restuarant in Epcot or Sci-Fi at The Studios. If you do Sci-Fi go for lunch and just get hamburgers.

Of your dinner choices, I think I'd go with Spoodles and the California Grill. Can't help with breakfast at Chef Mickeys, as we've not done that.

As far as romance goes, here are some of my favorites:

Mexican Restaurant in Mexican Pavilion at EPCOT
Palio's (at Swan)
Brown Derby (at MGM)
California Grill (CR)
Artist Point (WL)
Yachtsman Steak (Yacht Club)

As far as your choices go, I would skip PH and Rainforest - unless these are personal favorites of yours and it will make it really special for you (although, I will say Planet Hollywood is about the worst restaurant we have ever been to at all of WDW - consistently). Spoodles is good food and nice, but not exactly romantic (not bad though). California Grill is very nice with great views - but be prepared that it is true gourmet food and if you or your fiance are steak and potato lovers, it might be tough to find something you will enjoy. Chef Mickey's is fun, but loud and crowded and full of kids. We enjoy the buffet though and it does have a certain Disney magic to it.

Good luck and congrats!

When I read your question, those exact thoughts ran through my mind!

For totally "Disney" experiences with some romance at moderate cost (not to kill your budget) - Restaurant Marrakesh in Epcot (Morroco) and 'Ohana at Polynesian Resort. You will love this resort, too. You can watch Wishes and the Electrical Water Pageant from the beach, and the tiki torches and the tropical smells at night are very romantic.

California Grill is very magical during Wishes and the food is yummy, but VERY expensive. You can do two less expensive yummy dinners for the price of this one! Anyway, it's no more magical than watching Wishes from the park or from the Poly beach IMO.

As for character meals, Garden Grill (Land Pavillion in Epcot) for lunch or dinner is a quieter character meal if you're looking for something more intimate. My family loves Chef Mickey's for the fun atmosphere, CRT for inside the castle and princesses, and Crystal Palace for Pooh characters.

Have a magical honeymoon!:sunny:

I agree with the other members skip Rainforest and Planet Hollywood.

Suggestions:
Mama Melrose, Marrakesh, San Angel, Konas, Cal Grill. You might want to do the GF Cafe for lunch it is so quiet and the view is relaxing. You might consider Garden Grill as they have the rehitching ceromony. The lounge in Japan has a beautiful view, it is quiet and offers the menus from the nearby restaurant.

You also might consider sit down lunches instead of dinners. The menus tend to be the same but the prices are lower. Then just pick up something fast in the evening. It is also a great way to beat the heat.

Wow, almost unanimous...as far as Rainforest and Planet Hollywood...fagetaboutit. It's your honeymoon and if you really want to make dinners special, take the advice of almost everyone here.

Spoodles is really good. I would vote for Marrekesh in Morocco and San Angel in Mexico. The atmosphere in San Angel is quite nice. Cape May Cafe for dinner is really nice and you can take some time to walk around to the BoardWalk.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

~DawnMaree

I would like to put in a BIG vote for the California Grill!!! Definately tell them it is your honeymoon, too.

I think that lunch at Chefs de France in Epcot is very quaint and cafe like. We also enjoyed L'Originale Alfredo Restaurant in Epcot, but not everyone likes this one and it is rather expensive, so you would really have to be craving italian food.

Unless you really want a rousing breakfast with characters, I would also skip Chef Mickey's. Your money is better spent somewhere else.

I would take it easy with breakfast and lunch - prime park time - and put all of my money into nice dinners. That way you have something great to look forward to at the end of a long day. A lovely time to sit and reminisce about the days events with your new spouse!! :D

Thank you all so much for your help! My fiance and I are going to sit down and decide tonight - definitely - so I can go ahead and do PS's. I really appreciate all of the replies and advice!!!!

If you're going for more than 4 days I would recommend doing a character breakfast. Out of the 3 character breakfasts my DW and I have attended I would have to rank them 1) Cape May Cafe, 2) 1900 Park Fair and 3) Chef Mickey's.

I would also recommend Crystal Palace for a character lunch or dinner. The food here is excellent and it allows to get a break during a long MK day without leaving the park. Liberty Tree Tavern is an acceptable alternative for dinner at MK, but I've never eaten there and can't personally vouch for it.

California Grill is very nice, but if you're watching your budget it is definitely not cheap. Where as the CP will run about $50 for the two of you, CG will be closer to $80 ($100 if you drink). If you haven't yet, you can check out menus with prices over at AllEarsNet

-DH

Ok - I have another question - if you all had to choose between these places for dinner, which would you choose and why? Boatwrights, Liberty Tree Tavern, 1900 Park Fare. We've decided to do dinner one night at Ohana's and breakfast at Chef Mickeys. So, we need one more dinner spot! Thanks for your help!!!!

Well, there is Citrocos, or V and A. But of your three I'd do 1900. Boatwrights is noisy, and just so-so. Liberty Tree would be better for a group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter