• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Placeholder gamble - WWYD?

BecBennett

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
I know it's a bit of a gamble, but I'm just curious what the general consensus is.

We have a placeholder that was earmarked for a 2025 Alaskan cruise, however I'm at the point where I want to book another cruise for February 2024 as a Christmas gift to my family. (The 5th - 9th of February on board the Wonder is the only one that suits our timeline).

If we used our placeholder to get a discount on the February cruise, what are the chances of the 2025 Alaskan cruises being released before we can buy another placeholder in February?

Would you gamble on the Alaskan cruises not being released until mid Feb, or alternatively that the amount we'd save by using our placeholder now, and buying another one in February, to book an Alaskan cruise that may have already gone up for sale, would be more than if we just saved our placeholder for as soon as the Alaskan cruises go on sale (I hope that makes sense 😅)

Thanks!

I would use the placeholder for the February cruise. Summer 2025 probably won’t be released until end February at the earliest so you will have a new placeholder to use then. If Disney do release early you could book at full price and rebook once you get the next placeholder if it brings the price down.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/itinerary-announcement-history/

This link has historic release dates. According to previous years there shouldn’t be an issue. Your February 2024 cruise should get you your new placeholder just in time.

Depending on what Alaska cruise you want: our 8/7/23 cruise didn’t go up in price until early 2023. So most likely you don’t been need the placeholder directly at the release date, even a couple of weeks later there is a chance that is still the same price. The 9-night cruises might be different.

Disney Cruise Line Blog anticipates the summer 2025 cruise itineraries being released somewhere between February to April. According to them, the earliest the summer block of cruises was released (going back to 2015 that is) was February 21. So it seems likely, though not guaranteed, that the summer 2025 cruises would not be released before the Feb 5 cruise you’re eyeing.

Link if it’s allowed: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/itinerary-announcement-history/

Even if they are released, however, it seems unlikely that cruise prices would’ve increased to the point where the placeholder savings is “canceled out.” But I haven’t ever tracked how quickly the Alaska cruise prices increase; I’m just some person on the internet, etc.

But in your case if I had the money I’d go ahead and book the Feb cruise! Have fun!

Edit: lol I’m a slow poster! Sorry to repeat info :)

Disney Cruise Line Blog anticipates the summer 2025 cruise itineraries being released somewhere between February to April. According to them, the earliest the summer block of cruises was released (going back to 2015 that is) was February 21. So it seems likely, though not guaranteed, that the summer 2025 cruises would not be released before the Feb 5 cruise you’re eyeing.

Link if it’s allowed: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/itinerary-announcement-history/

Even if they are released, however, it seems unlikely that cruise prices would’ve increased to the point where the placeholder savings is “canceled out.” But I haven’t ever tracked how quickly the Alaska cruise prices increase; I’m just some person on the internet, etc.

But in your case if I had the money I’d go ahead and book the Feb cruise! Have fun!

Edit: lol I’m a slow poster! Sorry to repeat info :)
You posted 2 minutes after me! Sorry I beat you to it! 🤣 Great minds…

I've been eyeing Alaska for the last month or so for July 2024 and prices have gone down. Now, I have no idea what they were when they were first released (and it hasn't gone down by much, just a few dollars), but unless the cruise is something out of the ordinary, they don't seem to be fluctuating wildly (and actually, it's the one off 9 night that went down the most). So I'd think you'd be fine waiting for your next placeholder!

I've been eyeing Alaska for the last month or so for July 2024 and prices have gone down. Now, I have no idea what they were when they were first released (and it hasn't gone down by much, just a few dollars), but unless the cruise is something out of the ordinary, they don't seem to be fluctuating wildly (and actually, it's the one off 9 night that went down the most). So I'd think you'd be fine waiting for your next placeholder!
Is it the actual fares that decreased? If just a few dollars that sounds like port taxes/fees, which quite often adjust lower. They are estimated high in advance and then refunded once set by the port.

Thanks everyone. Turns out while I was fluffing about trying to decide what to do, the February cruise I wanted has sold out 😭

I'll keep an eye on it, in case in miraculously becomes available again, but I guess I'm back to the drawing board for Christmas.

It’s possible it was taken offline temporarily to assign GTY staterooms and may return.

ETA Cruise Critic is still showing interior and oceanview availability. I don’t know how accurate that may be, but it does suggest the cruise was only temporarily pulled offline.

Possibly, but I'm not holding my breath. I can't find the cruise in after on cruise critic at all 🤷🏼‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter