Placeholder Deposit Refund - Cautionary Tale

kevdad

Mouseketeer
18 months ago we were on the Fantasy and booked two placeholder reservations. I called my big-box travel agency today to have my $500 refunded as we are unable to cruise before the deadline. Since the credit card I used for the deposit was canceled due to fraud I am now expected to get a letter from the credit card company (Chase) stating that the card was canceled and that there is zero balance. Then I have to FAX that to Disney with a copy of my drivers license. And all within the next 7 days. And Chase just said it would take 7 days to send the letter to me.

Why the use of fax (very 1980s; maybe I'll call them using my bag phone next time) and why all this within 7 days is beyond me. Hopefully this works out, but just a word of caution to those that may not use their placeholder reservations.

As a side note, both the agency representative and especially the Chase rep laughed out loud when they heard what Disney is expecting (the Chase rep said, "they're not expecting very much, are they?" I just had to laugh along with them...

Yes, FAX is an old technology, but it is a reliable way to communicate. Your transmission report indicating a successful transmission is your receipt the document was sent successfully between your machine and their machine. Email, is an unreliable form of communication. Addresses can be forged (spoofed) as well as content. There is no guarantee the message you receive was actually sent by the sender. Even the specifications for email state messages are delivered on a best effort basis.

Are you sure that a refund to your cancelled credit card wouldn’t show up on your new credit card? Especially if the credit cards are linked since one was cancelled due to fraud?

Only asking because I had the exact same thing happen with my chase Disney visa. Cancelled due to fraud. They sent me a new one that was linked to the old account. I had some refunds placed on the old credit card that showed up on the new one because they are linked.

Also, I have some monthly charges that are still charging on the old credit card number that are showing up on the new one. I just haven’t gotten around to changing the credit card number on everything!

Same thing happened to me as the pp said. The refund just went to the new card that was issued. Tobe honest, I never thought of it or worried that it wouldn’t go to the new card. If you canceled the card altogether, I would think that credit card company will issue you a check stating the account is closed and a credit was issued to it.
My refund wasn’t for Disney, but it was a cancel for Royal Caribbean.
Good luck!
Oh, and I do agree a fax is outdated. I think most do email scans now. Hopefully Mickey will update soon. Well, he is 90 and most older people don’t like to change their ways! :)

I asked the same thing because it is the same credit card company and the cards are linked. Disney even asked me specifically if it's the same credit card company and I said yes. I am going to call Disney direct again today and see if I can get a better outcome. Worst case, I don't know why they simply can't send me a check as my mailing address hasn't changed.

Another aspect I forgot to mention is that even though our placeholder reservations are both for my immediate family and linked reservations, they want me to send the fax twice!

Maybe Chase could fax the letter to you? It would be quicker. Or scan and email it, unless DCL is looking for an original signature.

I've had a card number change due to fraud, but refunds back to that account still go to the same account. And this was with Chase. As long as the account is still open and only the number on the card has changed, refunds to the old number will still work. I once had to get a new card number three times within a couple of months (clearly I was shopping somewhere that it was getting sniped) but I still got refunds back to the old card number with no problems.

This happened to me with DCL and the money went back to my new card. I wouldn’t be concerned about it. You can call Chase and they will tel you. I have had my credit card cancelled a few times and it has never been an issue.

Makes you wonder what would happen if you'd used a card that you've since decided you simply don't want or can't afford anymore.

I'm not really too concerned about ultimately getting my money back, but the time and effort Disney requires is silly. Giving me a 7 day deadline??? That is ridiculous.

I asked Chase to expedite and they trimmed the 7 day turnaround to 5-7.

Good point about if I had simply canceled the card, I assume they would have to send a check. Which makes me wonder why they couldn't do that anyway for me!

I am on hold with my agency right now, who in turn is on hold with Disney. The travel agent commented something like, "yes, they have these lengthy processes because they can."

Well, it's almost as if yesterday's one hour conversation didn't occur. Disney will refund my credit card within the next 7-10 days. I'm happy with that other than the time and aggravation during the past 24 hours. Maybe it was just the Disney agent handling it yesterday, my big box agent definitely understood how it should work.

I've had a card number change due to fraud, but refunds back to that account still go to the same account. And this was with Chase. As long as the account is still open and only the number on the card has changed, refunds to the old number will still work. I once had to get a new card number three times within a couple of months (clearly I was shopping somewhere that it was getting sniped) but I still got refunds back to the old card number with no problems.

Yes, me too. The way the Chase rep explained it to me was "We figure no one is going to be putting money BACK on the card..." Good point.

Now, if you just cancelled the card period, I can see why there would be other hoops. BUT I agree that this is a case where faxes are safer.

Well, it's almost as if yesterday's one hour conversation didn't occur. Disney will refund my credit card within the next 7-10 days. I'm happy with that other than the time and aggravation during the past 24 hours. Maybe it was just the Disney agent handling it yesterday, my big box agent definitely understood how it should work.

I think the key is you should have never said the card was cancelled.

Even when I had a refund from something go to an account that was 100% cancelled and I was not even at that bank any longer (I didn't even realize a refund was coming), that bank just sent me a check.

I think the key is you should have never said the card was cancelled.

Even when I had a refund from something go to an account that was 100% cancelled and I was not even at that bank any longer (I didn't even realize a refund was coming), that bank just sent me a check.
I guess I won't next time! But shouldn't Disney have known it wouldn't matter?

I guess I won't next time! But shouldn't Disney have known it wouldn't matter?

A regular agent? Not necessarily.

Someone in finances? Yes.

My guess is they thought you were just wanting a check, and yes, that would require proof that the card was cancelled.

A regular agent? Not necessarily.

Someone in finances? Yes.

My guess is they thought you were just wanting a check, and yes, that would require proof that the card was cancelled.

A check was never mentioned. I'm just glad a "regular agent" could handle it this morning. Problem solved. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter