Placeholder booking question

This is what they said, which I always thought was right as well...:thumbsup2

“I don't know what site you heard that, because that is incorrect. Anyone on the placeholders, regardless of when they're put on, will get the 10% discount off the prevailing rate for the cruise.”

“I don't know what site you heard that, because that is incorrect. Anyone on the placeholders, regardless of when they're put on, will get the 10% discount off the prevailing rate for the cruise.”

thanks. I will push it if the situation arises again. I had read this elsewhere too, so when I was told, I had no reason to not believe it. I read that someone added their mom to their cabin and was not given the 10% off the moms fare because they were not listed on the placeholder. I always list everyone I think is going. It’s easier to take off a reservation than to add on.

You can make the change after you check-in. Some people just ask for an extra keycard, while others have had success asking Guest Services to do an actual switch. I believe it can be done in the terminal but not until you are checked in. And yes, your whole party can check-in as Platinum since that benefit extends to the whole stateroom for check-in and stateroom gift. The others will not get platinum lanyards, though (gold, silver or none as per their own CC status).

Thanks for the information, this is what I had thought but wanted to confirm. I am sure more people do this then I know of with being able to get 2 place holders instead of 1 and the multiple CC levels involved with bringing your extended family.

That's the point, though. Everyone needs to be listed to get the discount? So if you forgot someone, or someone new wants to come, that person is out of luck and pays full fare?

That's the point, though. Everyone needs to be listed to get the discount? So if you forgot someone, or someone new wants to come, that person is out of luck and pays full fare?
In our experience, adding someone later does qualify for the 10% off for the person. However, that person is added at the prevailing rate - 10%. And that could make the price much higher than when originally booked.

In our experience, adding someone later does qualify for the 10% off for the person. However, that person is added at the prevailing rate - 10%. And that could make the price much higher than when originally booked.
That's what I thought. And that's how I added my sister a year ago. But when I called to see what the price was to add my mom a week ago, I was told she didn't qualify for the discount because she wasn't on the original placeholder. I don't know if that was a change in policy or if one CM was wrong (which one?)

When I booked 2 staterooms (placeholders) in the app on our NYE cruise, one of the reservation numbers has my name on it and the other one has TBD MyLastName on it. I do not remember being able to enter anyone else's names into the placeholder. I am curious to see how using them will work out. Hmmm....guess I will find out when Summer 2021 gets released.

That's what I thought. And that's how I added my sister a year ago. But when I called to see what the price was to add my mom a week ago, I was told she didn't qualify for the discount because she wasn't on the original placeholder. I don't know if that was a change in policy or if one CM was wrong (which one?)

ok, now I don’t feel crazy because I was told the same thing last month. 😳

I’m curious if people are using the word placeholder with two different meanings. For those that are being told they can’t add anyone at the 10% off how did you book the original booking? Did you book an actual cruise or simply book a $250 placeholder? And possibly this is why the CM told me to just put each of us on the placeholder($250).

I booked 2 $250 placeholders. I converted it to a cruise with the four of us that were named. A month later, I added my sister, who wasn't on the original placeholder. When I phoned a week ago, they told me if I added my mom, she wouldn't get the discount (10% off the current going price) because she wasn't named on the placeholder.

I booked 2 $250 placeholders. I converted it to a cruise with the four of us that were named. A month later, I added my sister, who wasn't on the original placeholder. When I phoned a week ago, they told me if I added my mom, she wouldn't get the discount (10% off the current going price) because she wasn't named on the placeholder.
Hmm. Possibly because at that point it was converted to an actual cruise?? I wonder if that made a difference. It’s crazy. It should be that whatever you end up with that you get 10% off the CABIN.

Hmm. Possibly because at that point it was converted to an actual cruise?? I wonder if that made a difference. It’s crazy. It should be that whatever you end up with that you get 10% off the CABIN.
Nope. I was converted to a cruise and then I added my sister. That's not it. I wonder if, in the last year since I booked, they changed some policy?

I also just booked 2 $250 placeholders through the app on board, never done it that way before, have always filled out the actual piece of paper that DOES have lines for adding your sailing party names. The app did NOT give me the opportunity to add any names. Just looked at my confirmations, I have one cabin reserved in my name and one reserved TBD mylastname. Presumably, they know eventually I am not going to be sailing with just myself in one cabin and one other person in another lol so the discount should apply to everyone I then add to that real booking when I make it.

I wonder, when you went to add your mom, were they saying it wouldn’t seem like she’s getting any kind of “discount” because in the time you initially booked and then added her the price went up thereby she was still getting 10% discount but wasn’t paying same price as the rest of you because the price going up negated the 10% as compared to you? Does that make sense? Lol. That was kind of convoluted

I wonder, when you went to add your mom, were they saying it wouldn’t seem like she’s getting any kind of “discount” because in the time you initially booked and then added her the price went up thereby she was still getting 10% discount but wasn’t paying same price as the rest of you because the price going up negated the 10% as compared to you? Does that make sense? Lol. That was kind of convoluted
Nope. They were very clear. They gave me the quoted add price and I asked about the discount. They said she doesn't qualify because she wasn't listed on the placeholder.

Now, if I was booking her, I would pursue it further to see if that was a CM error or new policy. But since my mom isn't coming with us, I didn't go any further with it. I also didn't want to find out they should have charged more for my sister.

Nope. They were very clear. They gave me the quoted add price and I asked about the discount. They said she doesn't qualify because she wasn't listed on the placeholder.

Now, if I was booking her, I would pursue it further to see if that was a CM error or new policy. But since my mom isn't coming with us, I didn't go any further with it. I also didn't want to find out they should have charged more for my sister.
I'm wondering - on the original placeholder how many people did you have? Would adding your mom put an additional person on that reservation? So, if the placeholder had "2 adults" or specific names for 2 people. Then adding your mom would put a 3rd person in that room?

I know, if you add a person to a reservation that's already made, they will be paying the prevailing rate, not the rate that the others already on that reservation paid.

We just sailed on the Wonder a few weeks ago and I booked our placeholder via the app. I just looked at my confirmation and it only lists my name on it, no other passengers.

I'm wondering - on the original placeholder how many people did you have? Would adding your mom put an additional person on that reservation? So, if the placeholder had "2 adults" or specific names for 2 people. Then adding your mom would put a 3rd person in that room?

I know, if you add a person to a reservation that's already made, they will be paying the prevailing rate, not the rate that the others already on that reservation paid.
The more people discuss their experiences, the more I'm thinking that CM must have been wrong.

Yes, she would have been number 3 on the reservation and yes there was still room in one of our two rooms, but no the other. But a year ago, when I added my sister, she was number 3 on the reservation and was not listed on the placeholder. This is my discrepancy. It's not a big deal, but it will be if all guests must now be named on the placeholder (due to a policy change).

We just sailed on the Wonder a few weeks ago and I booked our placeholder via the app. I just looked at my confirmation and it only lists my name on it, no other passengers.
This is the exact reason why I still turned in the form on my recent cruise to book 2 placeholders rather than using the app - so that I could list specific names. Unless they've changed the rule that at least one original person on the reservation must remain when actually using the placeholder for a specific cruise, then it seems very limiting using the app! The rule may have changed, but I didn't want to be the guinea pig in finding that out. It's easy enough to put me on one placeholder, but I never know who might use the 2nd cabin and I have several possible family/friends who it could be, so I list up to 2-4 of them which gives the most flexibility.

It's too soon really to know the specific limitation of using the placeholders reserved using the app because it's so new and few or no people have actually converted those placeholders to actual reservations.

This is the exact reason why I still turned in the form on my recent cruise to book 2 placeholders rather than using the app - so that I could list specific names. Unless they've changed the rule that at least one original person on the reservation must remain when actually using the placeholder for a specific cruise, then it seems very limiting using the app! The rule may have changed, but I didn't want to be the guinea pig in finding that out. It's easy enough to put me on one placeholder, but I never know who might use the 2nd cabin and I have several possible family/friends who it could be, so I list up to 2-4 of them which gives the most flexibility.

It's too soon really to know the specific limitation of using the placeholders reserved using the app because it's so new and few or no people have actually converted those placeholders to actual reservations.
For me it's not an issue at all since I would always cruise with my immediate family and we only booked 1 placeholder but I can see it being a potential issue if you have more than one booked!!

can anyone detail how the placeholder via the DCL app works? What information do you need to give? My wife and I have different last name (wife has never offical changed last name after getting married...due to complex business structuring issues..too much of a hassle). Wondering if it's best to skip using the app and book placeholder the normal way. That way we can list 2 different names?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter