• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pixie Dusted in SE Asia TR

Hahaha, it certainly sounds like it.

You sound like you were much more attentive and sympathetic than I would have been. My poor DH probably would have got a few scowls and "serves you rights". :rotfl:

Great news getting the room upgrade at the hotel. What was the name of the hotel? I'll have to file it for future reference.

Honestly I was just concerned about getting to our flight, and just tried everything I could think of to make him feel better before then. At one point I was concerned that he might not be able to make it :scared1:

It would have been better if I'd been able to get into town. I could have just left him to it then.

In Hoi An we stayed at the Vinh Hung Emerald Hotel. There are a few Vinh Hung hotels in the area and I'm not sure what the others are like.

Great tips! I'm excited to read about Vietnam. I haven't been yet.

Sorry I didn't get the tips written down before you left CaliBear! Do you have anything to add?

We love Vietnam - I think it's become my favourite country (after Australia of course ;)).

Excellent update Zanzibar.
Yep my DH probably would've got an earful, or maybe it would have been me in your DH's shoes:rotfl2:
Excellent tips, Vietnam an Cambodia are in my top 10 list, will get their one day, just trying to tick off the top 5 at the moment. There is always somewhere else to go, but after reading trip reports like this it makes you reevaluate your list!!

Excellent update Zanzibar.
Yep my DH probably would've got an earful, or maybe it would have been me in your DH's shoes:rotfl2:
Excellent tips, Vietnam an Cambodia are in my top 10 list, will get their one day, just trying to tick off the top 5 at the moment. There is always somewhere else to go, but after reading trip reports like this it makes you reevaluate your list!!

Oh, my DH definitely got an earful! And I haven't let him forget it since we got home either :rotfl:

I have to admit I wasn't that taken with Cambodia. But that may have been because of our experiences there. And to be fair, we only experienced a very small part of it for a very short time. I'm willing to give it another try, but it will probably be more of a 'if we're in the area' type of place. If it's somewhere you definitely want to go though, I would make an effort to go before it gets too busy and touristy.

Vietnam on the other hand, is really something special :goodvibes So glad I didn't listen to my Nan when we were planning our honeymoon (first trip to Vietnam) and she suggested that it was a funny destination for a honeymoon and told us about how much she hated it :rotfl:

Just trying to tick off the top 5 at the moment. There is always somewhere else to go, but after reading trip reports like this it makes you reevaluate your list!!

Just wait until I get stuck into the Vietnam section :goodvibes

Out of interest, what's your current top 5?

Hoi An

We only had 2 nights in Hoi An, so we were pretty keen on making the most of our day there. We were woken pretty early anyway by some kids making the most amount of noise in the pool area I've ever heard! Seriously, I know it was a family place we're staying at, but at 7:30am I would expect parents to at least try to keep their kids a little bit quiet around the pool area. I know mine would have been mortified if I was carrying on like that, at any time of day! Anyway, rant over :rotfl:

We started with our included brekky in the very nice restaurant overlooking the pool area. It was definitely one of the better breakfast buffets I've had, and I was pretty sad that I was still feeling a bit too sensitive to try some of the more adventurous items.

We went back up to our room to gather our supplies for the morning, and found that our room had already been cleaned, with a nice little hibiscus flower on the bed.

There were bikes available for hire at the hotel (or many other vendors in the area), but we decided to just walk into the old town area. Even with getting a little lost and stopping for photos along the way, it was only a 10 minute walk.

Our hotel was located on an islet in the main river (they actually offered a free boat ride which sadly we didn't get to do). There are plenty of bridges across to the 'mainland'.

The first item of business for us was finding an ATM. We walked through the streets of old Hoi An town to find one. Hoi An is famous for its lanterns and tailors, and there were plenty of both.

In fact, there was a tailor right next to the ATM. I wasn't planning on using one on this trip, knowing that we would be giving them less than 24 hours to make the clothes and, realistically, I didn't think I needed any of those type of clothes anyway. However, DH convinced me to go in and have a look while he was getting the cash. For some reason he really wanted me to get something, so I ended up ordering a dress and a skirt. This shop didn't really have any dresses on display, so I chose from a pattern book. DH ordered a winter jacket.

We were to go back that evening to try them on, to give the tailor time to make any adjustments before we picked them up in the morning.

We walked back towards the river, and ended up in a food market. It was crazy busy and I wanted to escape as soon as possible!

Walking along the river from the food market, we passed a whole heap of people trying to get us to take a ride on their boat. I'm sure a boat ride would have been lovely, but we really wanted to explore more of the town.

We found a little restaurant for a bit of an early lunch/snack. DH wasn't that hungry, and I was still feeling a bit ill, so we shared a garlic bread and some spring rolls.

We continued walking, and came across a little booth selling entrance tickets for the pedestrian only area of old town. It was like a little ticket book to a number of attractions there. I was keen on crossing the Japanese Bridge.

There wasn't anyone to take our ticket though!

My feet were hurting by then from my thongs (I really don't wear thongs very much), so we stopped at a shoe shop just over the bridge. We both bought some slide style shoes, and I put mine on straight away. I also ordered another pair to be made in my size, which we were to pick up that night.

We continued to walk along the lantern covered pedestrian only streets.

We stopped in a couple of other shops where DH bought some things. Eventually we came to the end of the old town area. I recognised where we were from the transfer to the hotel, and we weren't far away, so we decided to head back for a rest and maybe a massage before dinner. I was keen on trying out the hotel pool too!

As I was still feeling unwell, I decided that a massage might be too much for my tummy, and opted for a mani and pedi instead. I actually got to sit in a massage chair for the mani and pedi, which was just the right amount to loosen me up a bit, but didn't affect my tummy. It turned out to be very relaxing anyway, even if the polish was a little on the dark side.

DH got his massage, and we were ready at about the same time. He must have mentioned something about waxing though (he's been talking about getting his back waxed for ages), and next thing I knew, he had agreed to a back wax! I was allowed to go in and watch, but he didn't even flinch, so it wasn't that interesting.

And by the time they were finished with him, it was getting dark, and it was time for us to go and pick up our things.

Sorry I didn't get the tips written down before you left CaliBear! Do you have anything to add?

We love Vietnam - I think it's become my favourite country (after Australia of course ;)).

I think you covered tips for Cambodia quite well. I echo everything and maybe I'd stress that you really only need US dollars. The guidebooks make it sound like you'll be ripped off if you pay for small purchases with USD, but that isn't the case at all. USD is expected. Also, it is not expensive, but it is a bit more expensive than we expected. Even though we knew how much admissions were, it just seems to add up quickly.

ok, now to read your post about Vietnam. :)

Also, it is not expensive, but it is a bit more expensive than we expected. Even though we knew how much admissions were, it just seems to add up quickly.

This. Exactly. It does add up very quickly. Again though, I was expecting Vietnam, where you seem to get a bit more for less :thumbsup2 For example, our beautiful hotel in Vietnam a 5-10 minute walk from the old town area was actually cheaper than our pretty basic hotel in Siem Reap. And meals and drinks were cheaper there too!

Beautiful pictures of Vietnam. Now it's moving up my list as well! :goodvibes

I think Hoi An is our favourite city in Vietnam so far. It was charming and had a nice laid back kind of vibe. We're actually hoping to use it as a base on our next anniversary trip :goodvibes

But the other places we visited had a lot going for them too! Wait til you see what we got up to in Phong Nha :thumbsup2

Continued...

First item of business tonight was trying on our tailor made clothes, so we hightailed it over to the tailor. Unfortunately I could tell at that moment I was not going to be happy with my dress. It sat funny, and I practically had to beg the tailor to shorten it. Luckily the skirt still had some potential. And DH's jacket looked great! I think that particular tailor was better at mens clothes.

After that we were free to wander. And wander we did, looking for somewhere to eat. We ended up going back past the entrance for the old town pedestrian only area, which was a great landmark!

I thought it might be nice to eat somewhere with a view over the river, so we continued wandering along the river back towards the Japanese Bridge. By that time DH was pretty hungry, and was keen to stop at the first decent looking place we came to. I only realised afterwards that we had actually ended up at a 'foodie' place, Mai Fish (which is associated with the more famous Mango Mango restaurant).

Unfortunately it was kind of wasted on us at the time, not being 'foodie' types to begin with, and I was still feeling too sensitive to eat too adventurously. It was also expensive (for Vietnam). But what we had was pretty good.

Just as we were finishing up with dinner, I suddenly realised what the time was, and that we had about 3 minutes to pick up my shoes before the shop closed! I left DH to finish his drink and pay the bill, and rushed to the shoe shop. Luckily I knew exactly where it was, and it wasn't far away. I just made it!

As the shoe shop was right next to the Japanese Bridge, I busied myself taking photos of the area until DH arrived.

Locals were selling these floating lanterns all along the river. You could then take a boat ride to place the lantern in the middle of the river if you wanted. Something else for our next visit!

DH wasn't long, and we decided to just head back to the hotel. Along the way, he stopped to buy some dessert, which was kind of like a tough doughnut.

I loved the place at night with all the lanterns, especially near the river where it was all reflected among the floating lanterns. It was so pretty!

A few minutes later we arrived back at the hotel.

They had their own stylised lantern display in the lobby area.

It was still relatively early, but we still had to pack and get organised for the next day's transfer, so we called it a night. At that point we knew we had unfinished business in Hoi An, and that we would have to come back sometime :goodvibes

Great night time pics.

You can tell it's nearly dinner time here in NZ as between your TR and PIOs, I'm starting to drool. That dinner you had looks delicious.

Love the night time pics, Zanzibar. It looks lovely here. Food looks great too. You got clothes and shoes? Congrats! :thumbsup2

Great update! Love the lanterns and Japanese bridge. :goodvibes

Great night time pics.

You can tell it's nearly dinner time here in NZ as between your TR and PIOs, I'm starting to drool. That dinner you had looks delicious.

I always have to be careful to make sure I eat before I read one of PIO's updates :rotfl:

Love the night time pics, Zanzibar. It looks lovely here. Food looks great too. You got clothes and shoes? Congrats! :thumbsup2

I did get clothes and shoes, but am definitely not happy with the dress. Still doesn't sit right and isn't the right cut for me. It may end up at the op-shop. The shoes are good though :thumbsup2

Hoi An - Hue

This morning we were moving again. I had organised a private transfer through our hotel in Hue, which would take us to Ba Na Hills and over the Hai Van Pass on our way to Hue. The car arrived just after we checked out - perfect timing!

We had to get the driver to stop at the tailor to pick up our clothes on the way through. Since we had to pick the clothes up then whether they were ready or not, DH just went in on his own, and I chatted to the driver for a while, and checked out our surroundings.

DH took forever, and in the end the driver disappeared too! Eventually they both came back and we finally got going.

I had decided to stop at Ba Na Hills instead of Marble Mountains, mainly because I knew Marble Mountains would be easy to visit if we came back, but Ba Na Hills was a bit further towards Hue. Nonetheless, our driver stopped at one of the many marble shops in the area for us to have a look. Although I was tempted by this amazing zebra, we did not buy anything.

We kept going towards Da Nang, then turned off for Ba Na Hills. It wasn't too far from there, up a windy road into the hills. We could see that unfortunately it was going to be a very cloudy day, and started to doubt the wisdom of choosing Ba Na Hills.

We finally got to the carpark, and our driver said he'd give us 3-4 hours! I told him we wouldn't need that much time, we were just planning to have a look around. The big attraction is the cable car to the top of the mountain, but with the weather how it was, we weren't sure whether it would be worth it.

This fountain at the front of the complex was great, and we spent a few minutes watching it on our way in. It was choreographed to different songs.

The place was eerily quiet. We seemed to be the only visitors around, and with the lack of English signage, it appeared that they didn't get many western visitors at all. We wandered through the gift shop and came out to a courtyard type area looking up at the mountain.

We tried like heck to find out about the cable car! Eventually we found a sign with some times on it, and figured out that there was a schedule for the cable car. We had just missed one, and the next one wasn't for 2 hours :eek: Eventually we realised that it was going to cost the equivalent of $50 to go up anyway, and decided there and then that it wasn't going to be worth it.

We decided we may as well have some early lunch while we were there. There was one restaurant that served 2 dishes. We both got the pho, which had far too much coriander for my liking. By the time we were finished lunch, other people started arriving. Still no westerners though.

We walked back out to the courtyard type area, and realised that there was a bit of a garden there, with a bridge over a little creek. We checked it out, thinking it might lead to a little walk we could do, but it didn't really go anywhere.

We'd pretty much had enough by that time (with all our mucking around trying to find things and umming and aahing, we'd probably been there about 2 hours), so we decided to find our driver and move on. Do you think we could find him? :sad2: We did about half a dozen laps of the carpark trying to find him, and ended up just sitting at the entrance, hoping he'd find us eventually. At least we were kept entertained by the fountain, the views, and the weird little rock houses in the garden.

After about 15 minutes, our guide came rushing up to us, apologising profusely. Apparently someone had told him that his passengers were waiting for him. Turns out we'd actually walked past him a few times, but hadn't recognised him because we could only see the back of his head. Anyway, soon we were on the road again.

Unfortunately it was too cloudy to go over the Hai Van Pass. The driver said it would be too foggy to see anything up there, and would be dangerous. So with a heavy heart, I agreed to give it a miss. We went through a tunnel instead. Some of the drive was still fairly scenic though.

It was a long uncomfortable drive, I hadn't enjoyed Ba Na Hills, hadn't gotten to go over Hai Van Pass, and was really wishing we'd just taken the train from Da Nang. I was thrilled to finally get to Hue!

We had the usual swarm of people over us when we arrived. Everyone we saw wished us a happy anniversary (it was our actual anniversary today), and we were sat down with our welcome drinks and a little plate of fruit while we were checked in.

This hotel went ALL out for our anniversary. We were shown to our room, and when we entered, it was fully decorated, including suitable images on the TV and computer screen :rotfl: There were towel swans, rose petals, another lovely bouquet of flowers, PLUS a little cake for us to share, AND a little bottle of local wine! It was really quite amazing and was a lovely welcome after the tedious drive :goodvibes

I'm not sure if we got upgraded or not. The description of the room types on the website was quite vague. But it was a really nice, spacious room, with a great balcony, and view over the city.

The hotel was only new (about 7 months old or something) so everything was modern and new.

It was late-ish when we arrived, so we decided to take a walk around the area. I was keen on checking out the river, which was only about a 5 minute walk.

On the way back we stopped at a restaurant recommended by the hotel staff. It was very local, we sat on kiddie size plastic chairs :rotfl: But the food was good and cheap!

After dinner we went back up to our room to eat our cake and drink our wine on the balcony.

Another great update. That's a lovely room you got. And such nice extras thrown in as well. Happy Anniversary indeed.

Great update. So far Vietnam doesn't really look like how I pictured it. It looks better! Really beautiful photos. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter