• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

pixie dust with online check in?

When it happened to me at AOA, I stopped by to see if my Little Mermaid room was ready and they offered me the choice between Lion King and Cars. It was just a one night stay though.

We did online check-in in April and were upgraded from standard to preferred at ASM for a 3 night stay. I figure it probably had something to do with the cheer and dance groups that were there. It wasn't a big deal, but the kids were excited we ended up with a 101 Dalmatians room.

We checked in with the app and got an upgrade to Cars suite from a LM room. When we checked in, I selected "close to transportation."
We did have to go to the front desk to request getting back into LM, as it's the reason we stayed at AoA :) The LM rooms are as far away from transportation as you can get.

With the Little Mermaid rooms being small value rooms, you're more likely to be upgraded to a different value than to a suite. That happened to us once. We made a reservation for a regular room at All Stars Sports because it was the cheapest, and were upgraded to a preferred room at All Stars Movies. It was due to Sports being overbooked. And it ended up not being an upgrade because it was during cheerleading competitions and it was sooooo noisy day and night.

Theres always a chance! We had a standard view room at Coronado two years ago and were upgraded to a suite!

My suggestions though:
1. Skip online check in- check in early and speak to the cast member. Let them know how excited you are and how special your trip is.
2. On your hotel reservation in MDE, add celebrations, let them know if its a birthday, personal triumph, etc... When the person assigning rooms sees this, they are more likely to sprinkle you!

Again! I’m not expecting or planning to get it. I’m truly just wondering if it happens just randomly anymore through online check in only.
i have also read MANY people mention the upgrade to family suite.
We did online check in at Wilderness Lodge last January and we were upgraded from a studio to a 1 bedroom.

Both the times we’ve stayed at Saratoga springs, we got upgraded from a deluxe studio to a 2 bedroom villa. We did online check in. Didn’t know we were upgraded until we brought up the room number in the app and it said 2 bedroom villa. It was so nice!

November 2019 online check in for 2 nights in LM room and we were upgraded to a Nemo room. Didn't find out until I got alert that our room was ready. November 2020 online check in for SSR standard studio and when I walked into our room it was a 2 bedroom Villa, that was 4 nights. We have also stayed many times and did not get upgraded or even our room request, online check in or in person.

I KNOW I KNOW! I should never wish too much for pixie dust but man oh man I hope we get some.
We are staying at AoA in a little mermaid room and I have a dream of being upgraded to a family suite.
Can or has something like this ever happen with online check in/ no face to face?
Last week I had a room reserved for six days at All Star music and we were upgraded to a suite level. We did online check and were pleasantly surprised! The room was absolutely beautiful.

I hope you get pixie dusted but remember. Most don't. It seems like alot of people do when they post on here but those that didn't receive an upgrade are by far the major majority and they do not post about it. If they did that thread would be huge.
Don't get your hopes up and enjoy a vacation that Id love to be able to do right now.
Have fun!! You will be at Disney!!!!!!!

I guess this counts: We did on-line check in and were upgraded from a standard room at Pop Century to a preferred building location close to the food court.

i am thankful just to be in my favorite place. We booked our 3rd trip in the past 5 months. 1st turned out I had emergency surgery 3 weeks prior to our trip in August. Was a very slow going painful trip for me. We booked a second trip in November to hopefully enjoy our trip this time. We booked POP to take advantage of the Skyliner for me. But now my husband was rushed to the hospital from Magic Kingdom on our first park day. The only Pixie dust was Disney paid for the ambulance to the hospital and for the taxi back to our hotel. We joked that it was his own personal Magical Express. That put a damper on our second trip. So we had to take it easy that trip for him and I still have problems with my legs walking and standing for any length of time.

Our Next trip is at the POP using the Skyliner is planned for end of June thru July 6th. Finger crossed we both make it thru this trip without incidents. We both feel 2021 was our worst year for us and need some Magic with a stress-free trip this year. We don't ask for much just being there makes us happy. So do not go expecting Pixie dust, if it is meant to be it will find you. Enjoy your trip.

I've been upgraded twice, both with online check-in. Standard Music room to family suite and WL studio to 2 bedroom with an amazing view of the lagoon. (I loved that room!)

Last week I had a room reserved for six days at All Star music and we were upgraded to a suite level. We did online check and were pleasantly surprised! The room was absolutely beautiful.
Did the upgrade show on your online check-in or were you surprised upon your arrival?

Over many years, we got Pixie Dust once with a studio to one bedroom and once with a tray of chocolates thanking us for coming (no clue why).
We were delighted BUT we are even more delighted and consider it pixie dust when our room is ready much earlier than expected.

We literally just got home today from a 2 weeks stay in 3 resorts.
All 3 resorts we got in as soon as we arrived (around 11:00!). Not necessarily the room location we requested because we felt for us more important to have any room in the same category. We could not have had a better stay at BCV/BLT/CCV.

Sometimes pixie dust comes in different forms.

Again! I’m not expecting or planning to get it. I’m truly just wondering if it happens just randomly anymore through online check in only.
i have also read MANY people mention the upgrade to family suite.

in the 20 years we have been going to Disney, we have never once gotten pixie dust. We have gotten what we booked every single time.

This would sound great, but unfortunately for us we are lucky if we get room requests within the category we booked. That’s usually the most I hope for ( but don’t always get)

You never know, but I will say my husband and I have been to Disney more times than we can count, and before that I went with my parents all the time growing up. Not once have we received pixie dust. I’m always just happy to be there and we book the resort/room type we want and can afford but man it would be so nice to have some pixie dust just one time!!

Last year I booked Outer Building TPV for the GF portion of a split stay and did online check in as I always do on trips. When I got my room ready text at MCO they had placed me in a Deluxe King room in the main building. This was back when CL was still closed so no lounge (you could sit there but no staff or food) but it was still an amazing room and a dream come true. My TA had noted on my reservation that it was my birthday but that was it, I had done a room request through Touring Plans for one in Conch Key.

I agree with other PPs though, you're setting yourself up for heartache if you go in expecting to get pixie dust. Expect what you booked and paid for, anything else is just gravy.

I've been 9 times in the last 5 years and not once have I been upgraded at Disney. I did get upgraded at universal though from a standard room at dockside to a suite. That was a nice stay. No complaints here though. I go expecting to get what I paid for and that's it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter