• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pirates or No pirates?

ShariB

Mouseketeer
I need some opinions about our trip planned for the end of June.
The scenario:
We are a family of 2 adults and 6 kids ranging in age from 18 to 3 years old. We are planning on flying to California on Sun.,June 18th and coming home on Fri. June 30. We want to visit San Diego and Anaheim with a beach in there somewhere.
Our Question:
Do we go to San Diego first on Mon-Fri and then travel to Anaheim on Sat. (probably going to the beach that day) and then do Disney Sun-Thurs. or reverse that order? I have been following the Pirates situation and see that it is scheduled to re-open on the 24th. I'm sure the crowds are going to be bigger due to that and also the upcoming July 4th holiday may impact some too. We have been to WDW several times but not to DLR. We aren't afraid of crowds (generally go to WDW in summer) and know how to make use of early entry and fastpass.
We thought that 5 days for DLR was probably going to work out pretty good for us and that saving Disney for last would also be best but if the POC opening is going to seriously clog things up (with the possibility of the movie premiere too!) we might be better off going there first and then San Diego last.
I hate to miss POC since everyone talks about how much better it is at DLR and I also thought that eating at the Blue Bayou would be a neat treat for the kids but I'm not sure if those two things are worth the possible extra hassles.
What does everyone think?

Thanks for the help!

If it were me - I'd go to Disneyland last. I haven't been to POTC in WDW but everyone says it's much better in DL. I'd wait for the Pirates opening and make a ps for Blue Bayou and have a monte cristo. But YMMV.

I have read both the 18th and 21st of June as opening dates for POC. I think there is a very good chance it may have a soft opening, but I would plan Disneyland at the end of your trip just to make sure!

You should definately do San Diego first and DL last, because---

We are going to be in San Diego the 20th-24th and DL the 25th-30th!

:)

According to Disney's press release POTC will open back up on June 24th, 2006 along with the BB.

Jack

But, it'll probably be crazy/busy/nuts on and around the reopening date. And then, July will only get worse because it's summertime when the park stays open later even during the week. Our AP's expire July 9. I would like to renew, but I'll be betting we won't be going as much until the fall rolls around again!

I would definitely steer clear of DL in the summer if I was in CA. I was raised in OC and can't remember EVER going to DL in the summer. Only really brave or crazy people do that :)

Pir8girl said:
I would definitely steer clear of DL in the summer if I was in CA. I was raised in OC and can't remember EVER going to DL in the summer. Only really brave or crazy people do that :)

Nobody ever goes there anymore... it's too crowded. :teeth:

Pir8girl said:
Many don't have the luxury of going in off season, besides whether to go or not was not the OPs question.

OP-Definitely go to DL at the end of your vacation, save the best for last!

I'd say go to DL on your last days. Go to SanDiego first then come to Anaheim.

I have to say that I have been to POTC WDW and the only thing that impressed me was their entrance way. Our POTC ride here at DL is way better than WDW's ride. I can't until they are done with the refurbishment.

Enjoy your stay at CA. :cool1: :sunny: pirate:

I think that you will be fine going to DLR last. I work at SeaWorld and you wont have to worry about the crowds there. The beaches will be nice in both areas. Mission Beach is great as is La Jolla. Lots of beaches in L.A. area. Go to Old Town and the rest of the sites. My understanding of POTC is that it is being rethemed not just renevated. I heard that it will be more along the lines of the movie. I have always loved the way it is now, but am excited to see how it will be upon reopening. I will, however, wait till after summer to take my family. We usually go for 3 or 4 days at a time but never at peak seasons to optimize our time.
Good luck and have fun,
Penguinsteve pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter