• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pirates is going to be closed

todzwife

<font color=darkorchid>There's nothing worse than
I'm so bummed! That's my favorite ride! I wish Disney would get the refurb schedule up sooner. We would have rescheduled!

I'm sorry! Bummer! I wish they would post refurbs sooner, too. Unless it's some kind of emergency maintenance, I don't see why they can't plan routine maintenance months in advance?

I think there is a reason they don't post the schedules really far in advance... people would plan their visits around the closures resulting in massive crowds when certain rides are closed. The way they do it probably help distribute crowds throughout the year.

I think there is a reason they don't post the schedules really far in advance... people would plan their visits around the closures resulting in massive crowds when certain rides are closed. The way they do it probably help distribute crowds throughout the year.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. If people planned their visits around when the rides are closed.......wouldn't that mean LESS crowds when the rides are closed, and not more? And wouldn't that be a good thing overall? Higher capacity when there are higher crowds, but lower crowds when there is lower capacity?

Yes and I'd dare to guess they can't plan every single refurb that far in advance. I feel for sure there are employees inspecting these rides regularly and they start to see things that need to be worked on in the not too distant future, so then a refurb is scheduled.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. If people planned their visits around when the rides are closed.......wouldn't that mean LESS crowds when the rides are closed, and not more? And wouldn't that be a good thing overall? Higher capacity when there are higher crowds, but lower crowds when there is lower capacity?

That is kind of what I meant... I think Disney wants to spread crowds out over the whole year hence why there are more specials and lower day ticket prices during "off peak" times. If everyone knew that say Space Mountain was going to be closed for the month of March a year in advance then a lot of people would schedule their trips at a different time. I'm not sure if in the eyes of the Disney machine that would be a good thing like you are saying... I'm sure it's got nothing to do with what I'm saying but it's what popped in my head when I read this thread

I absolutely agree with you. Refurbs are planned many months if not years in advance - they don't suddenly decide to put down a major attraction and do extended rework on it without getting permits and creating drawings and detailed plans which can take a year or more to make. Major projects have strict timelines that all involved are inclined adhere to.
There was a time when those refurbs would be announced several months in advance. We lived by this information and planned our trips accordingly.
Now it's SOP to announce them with as little as three days notice but more often about two weeks.

I'm sure Disney did this to keep linearity in attendance and boost slow times.

Same timeframe that Blue Bayou is out of commission too, part of the refurb I guess.

This comment reminds me that people have been talking about the closure of Pirates and therefore Blue Bayou for about a month. It seems that they let the public know 6-8 weeks in advance most of the time.

I absolutely agree with you. Refurbs are planned many months if not years in advance - they don't suddenly decide to put down a major attraction and do extended rework on it without getting permits and creating drawings and detailed plans which can take a year or more to make. Major projects have strict timelines that all involved are inclined adhere to.
There was a time when those refurbs would be announced several months in advance. We lived by this information and planned our trips accordingly.
Now it's SOP to announce them with as little as three days notice but more often about two weeks.

I'm sure Disney did this to keep linearity in attendance and boost slow times.

This is what I was trying to say! I meant that there would be massive crowds when all rides are up and running compared to when there are closures if they released the schedules in advance

I think it stinks..theynknow well ahead of time when rides are going down....... very disrespectful of peoples vacation time...

It was unusually foggy on the ride recently, maybe the smoke machines need to be replaced? pirate::duck:

Last week I noticed that the image on the mist screen of Davy Jones was pretty much not visible. The audio was there, just the visual was missing. Agree, it was foggier than usual.

Last week I noticed that the image on the mist screen of Davy Jones was pretty much not visible. The audio was there, just the visual was missing. Agree, it was foggier than usual.

I also noticed that 2 weeks ago. I thought it was just me.

I'm never a fan of this myself. You just never know what's going down. It seems like Soarin' goes down more than Rocket Rods. My big beef with DL isn't the refubs but the delay in letting the public know. Shoot, they can't even get a park hours schedule released until 6 weeks before. That drives me nuts as an old WDW vet where calendars are released 6+ months in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter