Pirates getting lightning lane!

If there ever was an attraction that did NOT need Lighting Lane!

Reality is that they are adding LL not because Pirates needs it but rather there are so many other LL attractions down they need to keep the perceived value of Genie+ up so they can continue milking every dollar possible from guests to experience attractions that you already paid a gate entrance fee to experience...but I'm not bitter...

They’re adding lightning lane as 3 other large attractions in that area (only two are lightning lane) of the park are down for awhile.

The lines for Pirates last week were insane. I’ll gladly pay for lightning lane, they don’t need to increase its “perceived” value to us. It means more rides, less time in lines with little kids who get serious ants in their pants after about 25 mins.

Last edited:

At the moment standby is 35 mins (about 15 mins too long for our little ones). Last week we were seeing over an hour with the CM holding the sign that says “line starts here”. I’ll gladly wave to those of you who’d rather do standby next trip when we use lightning lane on POC 😃. Now if they can bring it to Jungle cruise and Peter Pan we’ll be set.

Are we headed for Genie+ for all rides eventually? I really dislike this system. I don't mind the idea of people taking advantage of an opportunity to get on a ride faster, but many families can't afford G+ and all of us who don't buy it get stuck in ever longer lines.

ETA I loved FastPass and used it all the time. I imagine it had the same effect of creating longer lines for those who chose not to use it, but at least it was free and available to anyone who wanted to get FPs.

With the exception of Fantasy Land, I think the park (DL) is headed towards Genie+ for all rides eventually. For the larger rides it's just Jungle Cruise, Pirates and Finding Nemo that up to now haven't had it.

The only one in DCA I'd like to see added is Luigis.

Are we headed for Genie+ for all rides eventually? I really dislike this system. I don't mind the idea of people taking advantage of an opportunity to get on a ride faster, but many families can't afford G+ and all of us who don't buy it get stuck in ever longer lines.

ETA I loved FastPass and used it all the time. I imagine it had the same effect of creating longer lines for those who chose not to use it, but at least it was free and available to anyone who wanted to get FPs.
If you have 2 hours to spare, Defunctland had a great episode on how bad FastPass was for standby lines:

Pirates is the highest capacity ride in the resort and the standby lines move quickly as it is. If an able-bodied person has trouble getting through that line, I can only imagine how much trouble they would have trying to sit through the ride itself.

If you have 2 hours to spare, Defunctland had a great episode on how bad FastPass was for standby lines:

Pirates is the highest capacity ride in the resort and the standby lines move quickly as it is. If an able-bodied person has trouble getting through that line, I can only imagine how much trouble they would have trying to sit through the ride itself.
Thanks! This is fascinating. I'm watching it in increments. Got in 32 min so far.

I find it funny that people are more than willing to pay for lightning lane as it means not waiting in lines. Before lightning lane my family use to ride 30 rides a day easy without ever waiting more than 25 minutes for anything (this is at the end of July). We went back now with lightning lanes and were able to ride 10-15 rides a day tops. They have basically ruined DL for us in some ways. Even if you pay for LL you get your kids favourite ride 1 time a day! With the old system each day and every trip kids seemed to fall in love with a different ride and we would ride it a tonne on that day. One day we rode splash mountain 7 times (4 in the morning and 3 more with paper fast passes). One day we rode Screaming (now Incredicoaster) 10 times!!! One day we rode Star Tours 12 times trying to get all the variations lol. Now this is not close to possible. They are dictating how you have to tour and causing all rides standby lines to be astronomical. Anyone remember when Monsters Inc was always 5 minute line? LL has ruined the park and we aren't looking at going back until something gives.

I’m going to guess then you’re not going back. They’re not going back to fast pass or doing away with Genie+, it’s here to stay.

We’ve easily topped 15 rides a day with Genie+, and have done multiple rides (one with genie one or more without). When there 2 weeks ago we did star tours 3X in a row (could have done more but my stomach couldn’t handle it after 3X). We’ve done 20+ rides in a day using genie+, and that’s with leaving the park around 3pm. Rope drop early entry knock out all of fantasy land (except Peter Pan and Story Brook Canals) usually dumbo and tea cups twice. Start booking your first lightning lanes. Then Buzz and Star tours (or go do pirates and Jungle Cruise) right after 8am. If on the tomorrow land side then hit chip and dale (usually twice), mickeys run away railroad and Roger rabbit. That’s 13+ rides before 10am. Then start your lightning lane times and hit attractions with under 25 min standby in between.

DCA even better. Early Entry knock out guardians, incredicoaster twice and Midway by 8am. Then hit Luigi’s (while
Booking rides). Then go back over to pier and hit all those rides without LL. Then RS, Web Slingers, and Soarin. Fill in with maters, little mermaid, pier rides again. Depending on weather we finish off with grizzly run. Easily hit every ride by noon-1pm if not earlier. Eat lunch go back to room and nap and hit up DLR in the evening with another 4-5 rides that you started booking when leaving DCA.

Last edited:
I’m going to guess then you’re not going back. They’re not going back to fast pass or doing away with Genie+, it’s here to stay.

We’ve easily topped 15 rides a day with Genie+, and have done multiple rides (one with genie one or more without). When there 2 weeks ago we did star tours 3X in a row (could have done more but my stomach couldn’t handle it after 3X). We’ve done 20+ rides in a day using genie+, and that’s with leaving the park around 3pm. Rope drop early entry knock out all of fantasy land (except Peter Pan and Story Brook Canals) usually dumbo and tea cups twice. Start booking your first lightning lanes. Then Buzz and Star tours (or go do pirates and Jungle Cruise) right after 8am. If on the tomorrow land side then hit chip and dale (usually twice), mickeys run away railroad and Roger rabbit. That’s 13+ rides before 10am. Then start your lightning lane times and hit attractions with under 25 min standby in between.

DCA even better. Early Entry knock out guardians, incredicoaster twice and Midway by 8am. Then hit Luigi’s (while
Booking rides). Then go back over to pier and hit all those rides without LL. Then RS, Web Slingers, and Soarin. Fill in with maters, little mermaid, pier rides again. Depending on weather we finish off with grizzly run. Easily hit every ride by noon-1pm if not earlier. Eat lunch go back to room and nap and hit up DLR in the evening with another 4-5 rides that you started booking when leaving DCA.
No we probably won't go back too soon! I'm really happy it works for you and you have a great time, thats what it is all about, we just aren't in your economic bracket. Adding LL to 5 tickets, now park hopping is more expensive, you talk about EE and there's no way we could afford to stay onsite. As I said, happy it works for you but it just does not work for everyone which is maybe what they are going for? They're going to run out of people with money sooner or later though is my guess but I would of thought with how bad our experience was it would have happened by now and yet it hasn't so I definitely was wrong. We are actually thinking of doing a California vacation without DL which seems unheard of to us!

I think the only reason more rides don't have LL is because the queues just weren't designed with them in mind. Yeah, I think if they could, Disney would make most rides LL. The queues not being designed is especially true in Fantasyland.

Universal makes the majority of the rides Express pass usable, I think this would be Disney's goal.

However, with all that said, they are not ready for that, and I do think Pirates will revert back after HM reopens.

Even without early entry if you rope drop you can still bang out a bunch of rides early in the day. Our first trip back after the pandemic we didn’t stay on property but we did rope drop and were still able to bang out all of Fantasy Land (minus Peter Pan) early on with little wait times.

DCA as well, most people at rope drop run to guardians and radiator springs (understandably) but if you head to the pier you can knock out everything over there in quick order starting at incredicoaster and working your way to little mermaid. Them check the wait times and go from there.

The park is a lot more crowded though than it was in years past. 15 years ago we’d go on a weekday in February and it would be empty. That’s not the case anymore.

Last edited:
Even without early entry if you rope drop you can still bang out a bunch of rides early in the day. Our first trip back after the pandemic we didn’t stay on property but we did rope drop and were still able to bang out all of Fantasy Land (minus Peter Pan) early on with little wait times.

DCA as well, most people at rope drop run to guardians and radiator springs (understandably) but if you head to the pier you can knock out everything over there in quick order starting at incredicoaster and working your way to little mermaid. Them check the wait times and go from there.

The park is a lot more crowded though than it was in years past. 15 years ago we’d go on a weekday in February and it would be empty. That’s not the case anymore.
I get this, but it doesn't work for me. I don't WANT to "bang out a bunch of rides" as that's not my DL style. I like to relish the atmosphere and I don't want to plan exactly where I'm running to next. I don't need (or want) to ride everything in a day, but I also don't want to stand in hours-long lines for the handful I do want to experience. It's a conundrum. It's just me (and whatever friend/family member goes along), I have a MK and go 5-6 times/year, so my style is not the same as someone with a young family.

However, I will pay what it costs me to stay on site. I guess it boils down to where you choose to spend your money, but Genie+ is heading to the point of forcing people to pay or have miserable wait times. It may end up taking away Genie+ as an optional charge if you want to get on specific rides. If I still had a young family, I'd be mad about that.

I'm still unsure how I feel about this. I'll likely have Genie+ on my upcoming trip, so it will work out for me, but it generally gives me the feeling of "fixing something that's not broken" while screwing over a significant portion of DL guests who will now have to wait significantly longer for a classic when the overall wait isn't typically bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter