Pirate night is lame now

I have to admit, we were also disappointed with the Pirate Night changes on our recent cruise (we were also on the 8/11 Fantasy sailing). I didn't care for the new show, it definitely seemed more geared toward the younger crowd. I have always felt that was what the earlier Pirate Mickey show was? The deck was WAY more packed than I have ever seen it for the second show/fireworks. It was nuts. I also missed ending the night with Club Pirate and the buffet. It was different, I hope they change it back. ;)

We had the pirate show & fireworks between the dinners in January on the Fantasy. I'm pretty sure it was the same show we'd seen before. We didn't like it. I felt that once the fireworks were over, that was the end of pirate night. It just stopped, nothing else going on. It really lost the "excitement" value by doing the fireworks so early. They also had the kids pirate show at 5.15pm.
There was no pirate buffet but that was because we were on a Star Wars cruise, so the buffet was star Wars night.

We were on the Wonder in January and they did an earlier show for kids but still had the regular show and fireworks at 10:00 ish, Maybe its just the newer ships??? I have been cruising with DCL since 1998 and moving the fireworks earlier due to "the sun setting earlier" sound like a script. It has always been later every time of year....winter or summer.

MJ

Wow, I sure hope your disappointment was expressed on the feedback form. We leave in 12 days for the Dream 9/10 4 night cruise. I’m still not happy with the elimination of the single rider jetskis on castaway cay. They now only have double rentals so if you’re riding single you have to pay the double price to rent a double.... needless to say, my husband didn’t book it
I’m on that cruise, too. :woohoo:I am disappointed in the recent jet ski changes as well.

Hopefully they still have the buffet. This is the second thread regarding changes to pirate night and no buffet so it’s really unfortunate. I was unaware they changed the show as well so I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Last edited:
We were on the Wonder in January and they did an earlier show for kids but still had the regular show and fireworks at 10:00 ish, Maybe its just the newer ships??? I have been cruising with DCL since 1998 and moving the fireworks earlier due to "the sun setting earlier" sound like a script. It has always been later every time of year....winter or summer.

MJ
Maybe it is the Fantasy/Dream. We have cruised 4 times in January on the Fantasy & this was the first time we had the fireworks early. I don't even think they "explained" why. It just happened. I think it surprised a lot of cruisers. Definitely didn't have the same atmosphere as previously. A lot more rushed and it was over & done with early.

We sail on Monday on the Dream and DH and DD are looking forward to the buffet. I like the later fireworks. Guess we’ll see what happens.

We sail on Monday on the Dream and DH and DD are looking forward to the buffet. I like the later fireworks. Guess we’ll see what happens.
My thoughts exactly. It sounds like a YMMV scenario so we have to make the best of it and just go with it at this point. I was looking forward to the buffet as well. I’ve always skipped it because I’m still full from second dining, but I plan on eating “light” this time around so I have some room for those tacos.

My thoughts exactly. It sounds like a YMMV scenario so we have to make the best of it and just go with it at this point. I was looking forward to the buffet as well. I’ve always skipped it because I’m still full from second dining, but I plan on eating “light” this time around so I have some room for those tacos.

Haha... “eating light” at second dining is their plan too.

The ship can only carry X amount of fireworks onboard. The show as it is isn't all that long. Splitting it in two would make 2 really short shows.
I was told by one of the crew members on one of my cruises that they can only carry X amount of fireworks (I was told the number but don't remember) because anything over that amount and they'd be considered a war vessel because there is some limit to projectiles on ships according to maritime law.

I was told by one of the crew members on one of my cruises that they can only carry X amount of fireworks (I was told the number but don't remember) because anything over that amount and they'd be considered a war vessel because there is some limit to projectiles on ships according to maritime law.

I doubt this for multiple reasons... mainly because without the need for a launch charge these things are probably less charged than a standard flare gun charge. But also because if Disney has enough pull with the international community on maritime law to change the color of lifeboats to match Mickey Mouse’s shoes, they probably have enough pull to make sure their fireworks aren’t considered weapons of war.

Btw, Disney is pretty tight lipped about their air launch system, I’d love to learn more about it. You Can be 100% certain it’s a fixed system so they just reload shells though. Without tubes, bases, or launch charges the shells for one show would probably fit in a carryon bag.

The fireworks look impressive on the ship but aren’t any bigger than your backyard show. It’s all about viewing space, and since you’re captive on the center of the ship, real easy to make small shells look big.

I’ll put it this way, if you were on an island watching the ship launch the fireworks, you’d be rather unimpressed

What strange timing!

This new schedule was not on the Dream last week. We did B2Bs and had the show and fireworks after late dinner both times, with the buffet offered. There was an earlier show before dinner but I did not attend that and I'm not sure what that was about. I do however believe it was different from the later show.

I was on the Dream last week, and have to agree I didn’t like the the 10 o’clock show. I was happy to see captain Sparrow, but the singing took hours... not impressive at all. Fireworks as always was great! A pirate’s buffet was offered. I will try to post a picture of our navigator

The OP has not stated which cruise this was. The only people who posted this same experience were on the 8/11 fantasy. If OP was on that same cruise then maybe it was an isolated incident.

Personal Navigator for the Disney Fantasy on Wednesday August 8th, 2018 is showing:

7:30 pm Mickey's Pirates of the Caribbean
8:00 pm Dance Party
10:15pm Buccaneer Blast followed by Club Pirate

Personal Navigator for the Disney Fantasy on Wednesday August 8th, 2018 is showing:

7:30 pm Mickey's Pirates of the Caribbean
8:00 pm Dance Party
10:15pm Buccaneer Blast followed by Club Pirate

Someone posted a copy of the personal navigator for Pirate Night during the 8/11 Fantasy cruise earlier in this thread that shows the new show as others have reported it.

I wonder if Disney might take into consideration the number of children on a particular cruise and/or the number of late diners versus early diners and adjust their schedule based on those factors?

So I have given this much more thought then I should have and I wonder if this new pirate show on the Fantasy was a test to see if they can be all things to all people. Fireworks between dinner seatings means that the small children on board can go to the fireworks show. Many young kids miss the fireworks now because they are just too late for the under 5 set. But maybe DCL worried that young kids would find the 10pm show scary and so plugged in a lame sign-along since they don't want to develop a "real" new pirate show until they figure out if the between dinners time slot works.

In summary, my wild speculation is that recent Fantasy cruisers have been the unwitting guinea pigs for an idea that may or may not become the new standard pirate night.

Fireworks between dinner seatings isn't entirely new (though it may be on the Fantasy). Back in 2016 when we sailed the Wonder, the show and fireworks were at 7:30pm. Though we didn't go, there was a buffet at 10:15pm. I liked the earlier fireworks because my then 4 year old was up late enough to see them. Here's a link to the Navigator showing this schedule: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp...-Wonder-5N-Western-Day-3-Cozumel-20160223.pdf.

I hope this is not the case when we sail on the Dream in February. that is WAY too early for fireworks of any kind, nad the post fireworks dance party is our favorite part of the whole thing. Honestly, i don't see how the early show can hold any appeal for anyone over the age of about 5, and anyone older than that SHOULD be able to stay up late one night for fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter