Pin trading...

b52hbuff

Mouseketeer
I wanted to bring up the topic of pin trading. Now that Disney has cancelled the AP program and charging "full fare" for access to Disney, this is going to change the way locals (and pin traders) experience the park and interact with each other.

My guess is that without APs, locals aren't going to spend the $100+ per day to bring their binders of pins into Frontierland just to sit and trade. I'm also guessing that Disney is going to be discouraging pin trading inside the parks.

So...
What happened to pin trading at WDW as the resort went through the various stages of reopening?

Has anyone heard if pin traders have decided on some area of DtD to congregate and trade?

...I know there are a lot of details yet to be figured out, but hopefully once someone hears something about pin trading, we can discuss it here...

I wanted to bring up the topic of pin trading. Now that Disney has cancelled the AP program and charging "full fare" for access to Disney, this is going to change the way locals (and pin traders) experience the park and interact with each other.

My guess is that without APs, locals aren't going to spend the $100+ per day to bring their binders of pins into Frontierland just to sit and trade. I'm also guessing that Disney is going to be discouraging pin trading inside the parks.

So...
What happened to pin trading at WDW as the resort went through the various stages of reopening?

Has anyone heard if pin traders have decided on some area of DtD to congregate and trade?

...I know there are a lot of details yet to be figured out, but hopefully once someone hears something about pin trading, we can discuss it here...

I can't answer about people congregating to trade pins, but I know when we were at WDW in February, pin trading was tougher than normal. Each park had at least one pin board (AK had the most, Epcot just one). Most hotels had at least one or two. From what I understand they didn't have pin trading right when they reopened it took a few months. It was enough to satisfy our itch, I'm hoping DL has pinboards!

In the past I've seen pin traders in the picnic area outside the gates near the bathroom/lockers to the left of the DL entrance.

Personally I only trade with CM's or pin boards and do not trade with the book traders.

While from everything I've heard CMs are no longer wearing pin lanyards, they still plan to have pin boards. If anything, I personally don't really mind the change. I think having set pin areas is a great idea. Similar to our trip to WDW it will allow the DH and I to have set pin stops during our trips and likely increase the quality of the pins we trade for.

That being said, while it's likely DL will discourage congregating events they may do a lot more with the pin boards, such as making them bigger, or even creating a way to trade with a machine. But trading may also go into a lull until Disney feels comfortable having trading between people again.

At WDW the high end trading between guests wasn’t happening anywhere we saw.

The lower end trading was still available and fun. There were posts set up around the parks with a numbered board holding 20-30 pins. Each guest was allowed 2 trades from that board. Lines were marked to physically distance.

So...

Over at WDW, I have never seen a single pin shark doing business in the parks. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it at Disneyland either. And there were far more of the pin sharks over at WDW in DTD. Inside the parks it was CMs and now boards.

Over at WDW, I have never seen a single pin shark doing business in the parks. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it at Disneyland either. And there were far more of the pin sharks over at WDW in DTD. Inside the parks it was CMs and now boards.

I saw them at Rancho del Zocalo on a few trips. Their collections were impressive! Huge binders full of every type of pin you could imagine. My DGD and I had been on a Christmas time tour and we had special pins from that on our lanyards, and they wanted to trade for them. We didn't. :)

Over at WDW, I have never seen a single pin shark doing business in the parks. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it at Disneyland either.

I've seen several at Disneyland over the years. A friend of mine who was brand new to pin trading and didn't know to avoid the books walked over and offered to trade. From what I recall the gist of what the trader said was "Come back when you have something worth trading." It ruined a bit of his magic that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter