Pin Trading!

Jupiter&Wolfe

Disney is for Gwown Ups
Jinx Reporting!

I hope this is in the right place...

I've talked to a lot of people about pin trading, looked into it some, and have decided that for my next trip I would like to try to do a bit o' pin trading. :goodvibes

However, I'm just a little stuck on how everything works. It's just a little overwhelming! There are lots of pins and values and ah! :earseek:

Is there an FAQ thread around here somewhere, a really helpful website, anything?

What pins should I start out getting? Do you think this is a good idea for us? (two 17 year olds) Is it worth it in your opinion?

It seems like those who do it enjoy it, I just don't know where to start! Help would be appreciated! :)

Rule #1: the "good" pins are the ones that YOU like. Follow this, and all else falls into place.

Sure, it's great to find a rare pin... but don't be taken in by the sharks that assign dollar values to everything. If you don't like Stitch, but do like Pluto, who cares that you can trade away your favorite Pluto to get some limited edition Stitch from three years ago... unless you plan to use IT to trade for a cooler Pluto. :thumbsup2

Anyway, here is the useful website link you asked for.

If you have any questions, post them here or PM me... I love to help!

Thanks so much for your help! This website will certainly come in handy. :thumbsup2 And I really should keep that advice in mind, so I don't get carried away and just enjoy the fun of it. I AM prone to doing things like that. :laughing:

Just curious, how does it work when you trade with cast members or guests? Do most pin traders go by this advice of just trading for pins they love rather than the most valuable? I know it's a silly question, but I never noticed people making actual trades while in the World, and I'm completely new to this. :rolleyes:

Thanks again! :goodvibes

My advice would be to pick a theme to collect and stick to it. I collect Disney park and ride pins plus Minnie and Tinker Bell and some hidden Mickey if I like the set. This way things don't get too overwhelming. I would advice you look on pinpics.com to see different pins so you can get an idea of what you would like to collect.
I would start by getting some pins to trade when you are in the parks and maybe some pins for your 'keepers' collection.
Have fun.

...ask away!

Cast members will trade any pin that they have for any pin that you are willing to give them, provided you meet a couple of basic requirements:

1. The pin you are trying to give them is an authentic Disney pin (is stamped with the copyright symbol and "Disney" on the back).
2. They do not have that pin already.

You will notice a smaller number of cast members that have green lanyards or pin cards - these only trade with children.

Other than that, cast members do not care about the "quality" or rareness of a pin. In fact, they carry pins for the sole purpose of driving the hobby. Their lanyards are restocked every night, so if you get there at rope drop (or when a CM first comes on duty later in the day), you will see much "better" pins than you will see at other times (since other guests have yet to pick them clean). CMs sometimes have pins that are not available for purchase anywhere - you can only get them by trading.

Trading with other guests is a no hold barred activity. Whatever deal you can work out is perfectly fine. Again, BEWARE - there are pin sharks out there that may try to get you to do 2 for 1 trades or other such nonsense, since they know the dollar values of so many pins by heart.

Thanks for your help everyone! :goodvibes I think this could be a lot more carefree than I initially thought. I should just steer clear of the "sharks."

I'm going to look into getting some fun pins to start of with. I'm looking through pinpics right now and all the websites. :)

Thanks again. If anyone has any extra tips they can throw my way, I'd appreciate it!

:thanks:

Pin trading can get expensive - you might want to look at a reputable seller on eBay or go to mousepinsonline.com to get a grab bag to start you off.

Otherwise, at least invest in the starter kits they sell at the parks - you can get six or seven small, inexpensive pins for use in trading with cast members... much cheaper than buying them one at a time.

When it comes to trading with a regular pin traders if he or she gives you a trade offer and you don't like it, you don't need to trade with them because you can just say no thank you. However don't assume he or she is a shark because you don't like the offer, since a lot of traders offers between guests are always turned down. Also yes there are some sharks out there that can spoil pin trading for others, especially guests who are brand new to pin trading. So that's why you need to make your best judgements if you plan to trade with other guests.

when my daughter started out she would only trade with CM's or other "tweens" like herself who also looked like they were starting out. It kept it very low key for her. She didn't have anything of value so it really didn't matter. But each and every CM was so sweet - they would make a huge fuss over "OH NO..that's my FAVORITE pin..but you can have it" lol.

We are going to the magic kingdom in april, my DD4 has some special needs and I think pin trading might be fun for her and helpful with some of her special needs. any sugeestions for one so young

..except to stick with trading with cast members. They are usually very patient and accomodating with children.

My oldest DD loved the pins on our last visit and on the last day bought several and a lanyard. Before going on the Snow White ride, she looked at a CM's lanyard and liked a Pluto pin (that's her favorite character). She ended up trading a Pooh pin she had gotten the day before for it, but regretted losing that pin so much she cried through the entire ride. DH ended up buying her the exact same Pooh pin again. So, make sure you don't trade anything you really like, try to have some pins that you don't mind losing. DD wants to trade next time we go and has told me that "this time I won't cry."

I bought lanyards for $5 each on ebay and grab bags of pins for 1.90/pin each of my kids wound up with 7 to trade. The starter set at DW is $25, we have for 4 kids. That would have been pricey! The CMs are great! The kids would see pins at the Pin stations they wanted and I would challenge them to find them from CMs. They traded everyday and had a blast!

I just purchased my DD 3 lots of 10 pins from eBay to trade on our trip this summer. I've always had great luck buying from eBay, never paying more than $2/pin including shipping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter