Pin Trading for Kids?

Criickette

Mouseketeer
We are planning our children's (dd4, dd2, dd4months) first trip to WDW. I am debating if I should order some pins with a case and/or lanyard for my dd4 to trade. Is she too young? Would it be a hassle? Should I involve dd2 as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would be cautious about a lanyard with a child that age unless she/they are used to wearing long chains, as they can get caught when you momentarily have eyes off. It also encourages fiddling with them, which could see the pins fall off and get lost. I think it might be an idea for your 4YO, but to decide if she is ready, I would want to know: does she like to collect things? Does she share well? Is she possessive? I would buy a pin set in a character she does NOT particularly favor in order to encourage her to want to trade for a more desirable pin. Then I would role play trading with a CM so that she knows the procedure.

It will take a bit of prep work, in my opinion, but it might make for some cute interactions, too. :flower1:

And don't forget there are some CM's and locations that have "children only" pin trading boards, books or lanyards.

I would make sure she understands that she doesn't HAVE to trade just because a CM asks if she would like to. My kids didn't understand at first that it was the CM's job, and my son traded for a pin he didn't want because he didn't want to hurt the CM's feelings by saying no.

My sons were 5 and 4 when they started pin trading. My elder son is more into it than my younger so it also depends on personality. I wrote a blog post about this awhile back. Feel free to check it out: https://canadiandisneymommy.com/2015/09/13/5-reasons-why-your-kids-will-love-disney-pin-trading/

Thank you, your blog post is very helpful! Your boys are adorable!

I would be cautious about a lanyard with a child that age unless she/they are used to wearing long chains, as they can get caught when you momentarily have eyes off. It also encourages fiddling with them, which could see the pins fall off and get lost. I think it might be an idea for your 4YO, but to decide if she is ready, I would want to know: does she like to collect things? Does she share well? Is she possessive? I would buy a pin set in a character she does NOT particularly favor in order to encourage her to want to trade for a more desirable pin. Then I would role play trading with a CM so that she knows the procedure.

It will take a bit of prep work, in my opinion, but it might make for some cute interactions, too. :flower1:

Great points! My dd is very sharing, thankfully. I would just have to separate her favorites from "traders" otherwise she would trade them and regret it later. The role play is a good idea.

And don't forget there are some CM's and locations that have "children only" pin trading boards, books or lanyards.

Are there any ways of knowing where some of these are ahead of time?

I would make sure she understands that she doesn't HAVE to trade just because a CM asks if she would like to. My kids didn't understand at first that it was the CM's job, and my son traded for a pin he didn't want because he didn't want to hurt the CM's feelings by saying no.

This describes something my dd would do...

This is where the role playing can be handy. Roleplay saying, "No, thank you. May I just look?" and "Yes, please. Would you like this one?" If you separate out the keepers from the traders at the beginning and as you go, that can be handy. If you keep them in a folder, you can have a green page, red page system. Green ones are okay for trading, red ones are ones she wants to keep and aren't available for trading. You can include labels to make that clearer for the CM, but the colour code is easiest for kids, your DD and other kids who might want to trade with her.

This is where the role playing can be handy. Roleplay saying, "No, thank you. May I just look?" and "Yes, please. Would you like this one?" If you separate out the keepers from the traders at the beginning and as you go, that can be handy. If you keep them in a folder, you can have a green page, red page system. Green ones are okay for trading, red ones are ones she wants to keep and aren't available for trading. You can include labels to make that clearer for the CM, but the colour code is easiest for kids, your DD and other kids who might want to trade with her.

Color coding is a great idea, thank you! Sounds like I am going to have to order her a case and pins soon to get a bit organized. I definitely think the role playing with different responses will help her tremendously.

I have to do some research on authentic versus fake pins as well. We collect a few things such as Tsum Tsums and pressed pennies, but pins are very new to me. I think the interactions that she will get to experience will make it all worth it.

We are planning our children's (dd4, dd2, dd4months) first trip to WDW. I am debating if I should order some pins with a case and/or lanyard for my dd4 to trade. Is she too young? Would it be a hassle? Should I involve dd2 as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My very shy 2 yr old had a great time pin trading because his older siblings were. He had very little verbal skills also but got his point across. :-)

My very shy 2 yr old had a great time pin trading because his older siblings were. He had very little verbal skills also but got his point across. :-)

So happy that your ds2 was able to join in on the fun! I think I will get my dd2 a case with pins just in case. Her verbal skills and maturity level are pretty advanced for her age, but she is quite shy. However this may be something to do with her when she is unable to go on a ride!? Good to know that other 2 year olds have participated. :)

If you buy from Disney, you can be sure they are genuine. The Disney Store site has sales on pin sets from time to time. Aside from that, it can be nigh on impossible for an amateur to tell (that includes me!). If you want to find a reputable Ebay trader, there is a list on the forums here. Can someone please post a link? I am not sure where it is. :sad2:

There are some great deals on eBay if you want to start with a few ahead of time. I just purchased some real nice ones to add to my collection the other day which were half price. You can also find some that are sold in lots. If you decide to buy on eBay look for excellent feedback and also some have pictures showing the back of the pin to be sure it genuine.

A list of trusted eBay sellers would be wonderful! I haved tried searching the forums for the list but no luck as of yet.

My daughter was 2.5 year old when we were in Disney last June and she LOVED pin trading. I bought her a lanyard but since pins are known to fall off (from rubber backs that get loose) We kept it in our backpack until she was ready to trade. In fact by the end of the trip she had a theme going with her pins. I was blown away when I first realized she was trading to get all one "type". All she made sure of was that me or my husband were right with her when she traded (as she can be shy herself sometimes) for a bit of a confidence boost.

Thank you so much, you have been extremely helpful!
No worries - glad there was one I could help with! As SanderMC says, a younger child might have just as much fun, particularly if able to follow your 4YO's lead. If you keep the pins on pages in a folder, there's no reason you can't have the same for your 2YO, perhaps with their photo on the page(s) with their pins so that they can tell them apart (assuming you will keep custody of the folder).

Last edited:
My daughter was 2.5 year old when we were in Disney last June and she LOVED pin trading. I bought her a lanyard but since pins are known to fall off (from rubber backs that get loose) We kept it in our backpack until she was ready to trade. In fact by the end of the trip she had a theme going with her pins. I was blown away when I first realized she was trading to get all one "type". All she made sure of was that me or my husband were right with her when she traded (as she can be shy herself sometimes) for a bit of a confidence boost.

I can't wait to see what they choose. I am going to do my best and "step back" so they decide what to trade and what to trade for.

I bought pins in a lot and the kids picked the ones they like and put them into baggies and the big bag are the ones for trade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter