Pierogies - what do you make with it?

smilie

I've been unwonked!
I tried a casserole and we didn't like it at all. I prefer them fried. Just looking for new toppings or pairings that you've made and enjoyed.

We just switch them out with French fries from time to time.
So usually we’ll eat them with hamburgers or hotdogs.

Sometimes ill boil or steam them, drain well, then give them a rough chop into 2-3 pieces each and then dyst them in flour and give a quick pan-fry.

Depending on the filling, most of the classic 'mother' sauces go well with them.

We can eat them as a meal themselves. I make them from scratch. There are times I will host a polish night at my house and serve them with potatoe pancakes, kapusta and a stuffed cabbage stew that I make (instead of rolling them and baking). We always fry them with onions and serve with butter and sour cream on the side.

Perogies are very popular in my area. In the local restaurants and diners they are often served as the main dish with grilled onions and butter and with a salad as a side. In homes, often with brats, kelbasi, sausages of some sort and veggie side. The perogi are like the starchy side dish.

I usually serve them with sauerkraut soup (kapusniak) or roasted onions/bell peppers.

I make them for Christmas Eve with enough to have throughout the year. On Christmas Eve, they are part of the entire meal. We boil them and serve them with butter and onions with sour cream.

During the year, they can be a side, made the same way, or as a meal.

I can't wait to go to Poland when all this craziness ends to taste them in the motherland. When we had them in Russia, they were baked like a calzone, though stuffed with potato and cheese, cabbage and cheese, etc., like a pierogi that we'd have in this country. They were just larger and baked. The pierogies that they boil in Russia are stuffed with fruit filling and served in a sweet sauce. They were quite good.

The recipe we use results in a quantity that is too large to eat anything else with them. Except on Christmas Eve when we usually also have boiled shrimp and my Dad will make polish sausage.

Unfortunately, our family recipe is not typical; the filling is dry curd cottage cheese. For the last year, I haven't been able to find the cheese in any of our local stores. Last Christmas I had to take regular cottage cheese, wash it off, and try to dry it out, but it's annoying to do it that way. I've been craving them during pandemic and haven't been able to make them.

We pair them with vegetables. We rarely do standard potato perogies and do mostly mushroom, ground beef, or lasagna perogies.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter