Picky Kid at Signature Restaurants

Most restaurants can do a simple version. You can ask for a plain steak or plain chicken breast, plus the normal menu sides. Many places will offer plain pasta with red or alfredo sauce. And pretty much any restaurant can do a grilled cheese. They might not want to, but they will have bread, cheese, and butter in the kitchen.

You can also do appetizers as a meal, especially for a kid. Something like potstickers or a flatbread.

I used to be a picky eater during that age, and I think we end up becoming more adventurous in the end. But it's a little annoying to get through now.

My kids have a south Asian and an East Asian parent... But they will only eat chicken nuggets, french fries and strawberries 😂

I have no idea what I am gonna do when we visit. But that's not till Thanksgiving 2022, so we got time.

California Grill has never had a problem making a cheese flatbread pizza for my kids since they have flatbreads on the adult menu.

Yachtsman will be harder since the Yacht Club QS doesn't currently have chicken nuggets on the menu.

My youngest was very picky. When I cooked a meal I'd make sure there was one thing on the plate she'd eat. Our doc at the time said "if she gets hungry enough she'll eat. She won't starve" So we went ahead and after dinner (which if we were lucky she ate something) she'd always be hungry and ask for a "snack" So I wasn't about to let her dive into a bag of chips, so I told her any fruit or veggie in the fridge was fair game. She took to baby carrots. Like an obsession. I swear I thought she'd turn orange. As time marched on she began to eat 2 of the 3 items at dinner. Now as an adult she's dating a "foodie" and he has been instrumental in changing her eating habits. Salmon!! go figure.

Just go with the sides, or plain pasta, or plain chicken, mashed potatoes no gravy or sauce, ... bread and butter...

I would try to work on these things now, before you get to the TS... trying to prepare him now, so that everything is not such a battle to him... Let him if he is old enough look at the menu, and see what he might eat... Break it down for him,

We have a friend who's grandchild has issue with food, and most of it is about control... and they book TS all the time... he will eat more stuff with our friends than he will at home with his parents.

Are off-menu 'kid-friendly' options available at most signature and table service restaurants? My son is a picky eater (no judgement, please-we ARE working on this with his pediatrician). My husband, daughter, and I are foodies. We would like to visit a handful of signature restaurants during our trip but I'm worried he won't eat. I remember a few years ago that Ohana offered nuggets and fries to kids and I've read how others have been able to order similar items that weren't on the menu at other Disney table service restaurants. I've tried to schedule ADRs at places that have either a flatbread/pizza or chicken tender option. But we'd like to also visit California Grill and Yachtsman. There's not an entre on the kid menu that he'd eat without me having to encourage him to try bites and risk him gagging and vomiting. No one needs to see that on their vacation. 🤢 Thankfully he WILL eat the sides. Is it best to skip these restaurants or is it likely they might have some chicken tenders available for him? Is there a way to contact the restaurant to ask?
We had a picky eater while his twin would eat anything and everything. We always just ordered him a side of Mac and Cheese and then stopped somewhere afterwards in a park or at the hotel food court and got him a hot dog or chicken nuggets. My grandaughter is not nearly as picky but we have converted her to where she likes the Grilled nuggets at ChikfilA and now we can actually order her a plain grilled chicken breast and cut it up so it is like nuggets.

I can say the server at Tiffins was really sweet to my kids who are very picky. They even asked them, "what do you want to eat, because we can make almost anything" - Not that I expected they would make anything, but I'm pretty sure they could have whipped up any kids menu staple (burger, hot dog, mac and cheese, chicken fingers, pizza, etc even if they weren't necessary what was on Tiffin's specific kids menu which was likely a little more fancy than normal kiddie faire, so they were sensitive to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter