Photoshop Elements

First question: Which is more user friendly? I am playing with Aperture 3 with the 30 day free download and will download the other 30 day trial soon, but just curious what your thoughts were on this?

Will one outperform the other?

Thoughts?

Dawn

First question: Which is more user friendly? I am playing with Aperture 3 with the 30 day free download and will download the other 30 day trial soon, but just curious what your thoughts were on this?

Will one outperform the other?

Thoughts?

Dawn

Hmmm, aren't these 2 completely different programs? Sure, there's some overlap between the 2 programs. I think people typically use Aperture (or Lightroom) to organize their thousands of photos and do *quick* adjustments to their photos.

People typically use Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop) for more detailed work on *individual* photos. You can certainly do post-processing adjustments to your photos using Photoshop Elements, but you can do a whole lot more detailed editing to your photos using Photoshop Elements.

People typically own both Aperture (or Lightroom) and Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop). You typically do a great majority (90-95%?) of your photo organizing and post-processing in Aperture / Lightroom. For a handful of photos that you want to do more work on, you typically use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

I'm not sure which one will "outperform" the other, especially since they are such different programs. What performance measure were you looking to compare?

Yeah, I think that is my problem, I don't know what I want to compare!

Dawn

Hmmm, aren't these 2 completely different programs? Sure, there's some overlap between the 2 programs. I think people typically use Aperture (or Lightroom) to organize their thousands of photos and do *quick* adjustments to their photos.

People typically use Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop) for more detailed work on *individual* photos. You can certainly do post-processing adjustments to your photos using Photoshop Elements, but you can do a whole lot more detailed editing to your photos using Photoshop Elements.

People typically own both Aperture (or Lightroom) and Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop). You typically do a great majority (90-95%?) of your photo organizing and post-processing in Aperture / Lightroom. For a handful of photos that you want to do more work on, you typically use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

I'm not sure which one will "outperform" the other, especially since they are such different programs. What performance measure were you looking to compare?

What are your needs? Image editing? RAW processing? Image mangament? Image creation?

Mostly editing and management. I do shoot in RAW most of the time these days.

Dawn

If you are just color correcting, adjusting white balance, cropping...basically nothing too heavy, and you need an image management system then I'd look at Aperture, Lightroom or Bibble. But you will likely want to supplement with something like PSE at some point in time down the road if you get into heavier editing. Like someone else said, many photographers use both because they really serve different purposes. It's like having a lawn mower and a weed eater. One can do the job, but two makes life a lot easier.

They've all got a learning curve if you're unaccustomed to that type of software.

Thank you.

I found my registration number for Photoshop Elements 6 that came with my scanner at Christmas. I had never downloaded it before and thought I had lost it.

But it is only for PC as far as I can see. So, I think that will go on my PC and I will purchase Aperture 3.

We will see how far those get me.

Dawn

Thank you.

I found my registration number for Photoshop Elements 6 that came with my scanner at Christmas. I had never downloaded it before and thought I had lost it.

But it is only for PC as far as I can see. So, I think that will go on my PC and I will purchase Aperture 3.

Dawn

I don't know if they still do it or not, but Adobe used to allow you to switch opperating systems with the same software for free, you might check it out.

Thank you.

Dawn

You're gonna want all your software on one machine so you can have both things open and go back and forth. This is where the Photoshop/Lightoom combination has an advantage.

Do you know any students? You can pick up lightroom for $99 adn PSE for $69 if you have a student you can abuse.

Lightroom is an image management tools for thousands of images, Adobe Bridge is similar and comes with the Adobe Creative Suites.

Photoshop is an Image Editing Tool

PSE is a combination of the two, management of relatively small number (several thousand but not like Lightroom) with a Photoshop-lite editing tool. I mainly use PSE at home but I use the full Creative suite at my office.

Aperture is a Mac tool and very different focus than the Adobe products.

As far as I am concerned, editing in a Mac is very different than in a PC even with similar software.

IMHO

We're multi platformed in the house still and have a multitude of graphics and photo software for both, and I've found there really isn't much difference between the two platforms when you're working within something like Photoshop. At least not now. Fifteen years ago there was a huge gap, but it's long since closed.

PSE is a scaled down version of Photoshop. It's the home user where Photoshop is pro. Lightroom is a different animal altogether and is a lot more than image management software. Where as Aperture has always felt like iPhoto on steroids to me. And Bridge just blows for many reasons. IMO.

Have you tried Aperture 3? From what I am reading, it is more like Lightroom than ever and not just a better version of iphoto. There were some major changes from version 2 to version 3.

Dawn

We're multi platformed in the house still and have a multitude of graphics and photo software for both, and I've found there really isn't much difference between the two platforms when you're working within something like Photoshop. At least not now. Fifteen years ago there was a huge gap, but it's long since closed.

PSE is a scaled down version of Photoshop. It's the home user where Photoshop is pro. Lightroom is a different animal altogether and is a lot more than image management software. Where as Aperture has always felt like iPhoto on steroids to me. And Bridge just blows for many reasons. IMO.

Unfortunately, I got this as a bundle with the Epson scanner. Adobe says they contracted with Epson and I can't do anything much with it. They seem to have a "it belongs to Epson now" approach. I had lost my registration # and called Adobe and they told me that once they give it to Epson they don't have anything to do with it anymore and couldn't help me.

Dawn

I don't know if they still do it or not, but Adobe used to allow you to switch opperating systems with the same software for free, you might check it out.

Thank you all so much.

My guess, after looking at the different programs, is that 90% or more of what I need to do can be done in Aperture, maybe more.

The few things I need to do in Photoshop, I am going to TRY to do on the PC and then transfer over for now.

I can only get one program right now, and am leaning towards Aperture and then I have the free Photoshop Elements to play with on the PC and see what I think.

This is all for personal use, nothing too involved YET.....but watch out because I am learning fast! Ok, well, not as fast as my 12 year old, but as fast as I can. I have set some goals for the summer as far as photography and camera classes, so we will see what this old dog can learn! :goodvibes

Dawn

Welcome! Here you will find professional photographers to absolute beginners here, and everything in between with an eye to photography in Disney parks and resorts. If you are here for advice to buying a new camera, tips to help you take better photos or a solution to some specific problem, be sure to do a search first. Your answer may be waiting for you in an existing thread. Here are some popular threads with lots of good advice:

I seem to be designated the camera expert at work. Everyone comes to me with issues!!

A coworker brought in his camera and memory card and told me he didn't know why the pics took so long to load on his computer and why they look different. I quickly found out that he was taking them in the TIFF format instead of jpeg. For some reason his bridge camera has the option of TIFF, jpeg fine and jpeg normal. I changed the settings for him, but he has a whole memory card full of TIFF files that he wants jpegs.

How do I convert a large number of pics to jpeg in elements or is there something else I could use? I know how to convert a single picture in elements but would rather not have to do it one by one.

I seem to be designated the camera expert at work. Everyone comes to me with issues!!

A coworker brought in his camera and memory card and told me he didn't know why the pics took so long to load on his computer and why they look different. I quickly found out that he was taking them in the TIFF format instead of jpeg. For some reason his bridge camera has the option of TIFF, jpeg fine and jpeg normal. I changed the settings for him, but he has a whole memory card full of TIFF files that he wants jpegs.

How do I convert a large number of pics to jpeg in elements or is there something else I could use? I know how to convert a single picture in elements but would rather not have to do it one by one.

If you have Lightroom, I'm sure you can select all the photos, and export them to JPEG all at once.

I don't have Photoshop Elements, so I don't specifically know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter