Photos of the moat drained and the crane in Magic Kingdom

And hey, nothing can be worse than this, right?

castle25-2.jpg

Oh, my eyes!!!! I am blind!!!!!

That is truly the worst thing they have ever done in the parks. Whoever thought of it should be put in the stocks in Frontieer Land for us to all throw pies at!

I would not be too upset if the crane/walls are up during our trip but I am really hoping that the moat is refilled! We will be there the last week in February and are taking a first-timer so our fingers are crossed!

You know, if people want to be disappointed, let them. No need to be insulting.

And I love the irony of your post. Methinks you would do well to watch your own step...

Well they act like it is the end of the world. Most people are extremely lucky to be visiting WDW at all considering the way the economy and world is today. I am very happy to be going again in April. But I would not be getting up in arms over things like refurbs. Every time I have been Space Mountain has been down for refurb but it is not like I won't skip MK because of it, you know? Some people on here are so snotty about Disney and they way things should be or used to be that they simply seem to forget that those days are long gone. We live in a different world now. People should lighten up, afterall, they are going to Walt Disney World.

And, nothing could be worse than the horrendous pink thing that was the castle for the birthday celebration! :lmao:

I can get why people that are going for the first time are upset about the crane but really, anyone that has been there many times, you kind of have a million pictures of the castle. Besides, a little bit of Photoshop and the crane is gone! Now, wait till the scaffolding goes up. It doesn't seem that the crane, etc. is going anywhere any time soon.

I will say that the pics of the water did make things look kind of yucky. I didn't think it would make a big difference but apparently, it does. Hopefully they will fill it back in soon.

It looks horrible! I know that all the "Disney People" see nothing wrong with this, etc. but for most of us this is a big deal. I don't go and don't plan on going every year or even every other year, so the fact that my daughter's first trip is during the time the park looks like this is a tad bit disturbing. I don't think I'm a bad person for saying that. Oh and I would totally cancel my trip if I could.

Oooh! Ooh! Charilee, looking at the list of closures I just gave you, it says that the Junior Jungle Boats will open Jan 26. So, looks like the water will be back for your trip!

Meg

Ooh, well that gives me some hope. Thanks.

castle25-2.jpg

Am I the only person that liked this:confused3 I think it might be because that's what the castle looked like for my first trip and it brings back the memories of that trip and when my addiction started:lovestruc

castle25-2.jpg

To be honest I didn't think the castle as the birthday cake wasn't that bad. I was there when it was like this and maybe it was cause I was younger, well high school but it wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it.

As for the pics of the crane and the moat, I say meh. I'm going Feb 6th-11th and if it's there, it's there. I'm not too concerned. I'm not trying to start a war of words here but if you've been there before, whats the big deal? Your at Disney! It's the magic of it all! But if you haven't I understand why you would be upset. So it's a win/lose situation really but hopefully won't be up long.

The moat I say meh to, how many people watch the moat? lol

We are leaving tomorrow for WDW for our once every three years trip :banana:, and I don't see any reason to get upset. None of our "must-do's" are being refurbished, we don't do character meals, I'm sort of afraid of Splash Mountain, and we always forget to take good pics of the castle anyway. It's Disney - we'll have a good time. Maybe it'll discourage last minute vistors, which means shorter lines for us. :)
Nothing in life is perfect. I wouldn't tell someone they aren't allowed to be disappointed, but I'd hate for someone to miss out on joy because they're focusing on the negative.

And yes, the pink castle looks hideous and I'm glad I didn't see it, but it's making me hungry for frosting.

And yes, the pink castle looks hideous and I'm glad I didn't see it, but it's making me hungry for frosting.

So funny you say this! I was just putting whipped cream on my hot chocolate and I think I got inspired and overdid it just thinking about the castle cake!

Meg

We are leaving for WDW next Friday and when I first heard about the castle refurb I was bummed:headache:

But the closer I get, the less I care, I'm going to Disney :cool1:

I was worried that my MK view room at the Contemporary would be ruined but Disers assured me that wouldn't be the case :banana:

It's my DD5 first trip so she won't know that she's missing out on the stuff that's closed and there is always next year:love:

In all of the trips that we've made and all of the pictures that I have of various spots in the park I think I have only one picture of the water in the MK. I'm surprised by just how far that moat goes, guess I never really paid attention to it that much before.

My truck obsessed DS3 is excited about the crane! Honestly, he'll be disappointed if it is not still there when we leave next week!

Those doesn't look very nice does it? I'm in the camp of thinking that the Pepto Dismal castle was worse though.

This trip will be known as the "castle looked like poop and the park had barely any water trip". LOL! I don't mind it. I mean ya, it is a lot more scenic to have the castle without any retrofitting being done and have water in the moat, but I will just make this a part of my experience, rather than look at it negatively. I mean ya, Disney DOES need to work on the parks sometimes, and yes, sometimes it can take a long time. This should be expected by anyone. If you don't want to see it this way, rebook your trip. I think anyone who can complain about how they spent thousands of dollars to see an empty moat and a crane and a wall around the castle needs to take a closer look at the big picture, and realize that they should feel privileged that they can afford and take a trip to WDW. There are millions upon millions of people in the world that will never get to see WDW in their life, and not for lack of wanting to go. There is a reason that the moat is drained, crane is up, and walls are around the castle. It is ALL part of the same project. As far as Splash Mountain goes, just as all attractions do, it needs to be closed for refurbishing sometimes. I didn't throw a fit when Space Mountain was closed on my last trip....even my 5 year old who LOVES Space Mountain didn't throw a fit. All I can say is that anyone who is planning a trip during a time when WDW is being refurbished should be grateful that they can be there at all, and just shut up and enjoy it. If not, I know a million others who would gladly take their place, and cherish that time for the rest of their lives.

Ok I'm kind of devestated. Not only is Splash Mountain closed for my trip, but the whole park looks like a disaster. I guess I know now why I could still get ADRs at CRT only 5 weeks in advance. :sad1:

"Devastated" and "disaster" are by no means words to describe WDW. There is currently a place dealing with devastation and disaster and it is at the polar opposite of the height of indulgence WDW offers.

Maybe you should re-schedule your trip, if you think the trip will be ruined because of the moat being empty. Though I have to say that most of those pics were taken by someone looking down into the moat. I can't say that I have spend much time doing that while in the Magic Kingdom.

You want devestating, you should have been there when the castle looked like a giant pepto-bismol birthday cake!:eek:

The pictures were taken to show the difference the water makes. As I mentioned earlier I think most people are not really even going to notice. No rotting fish by the way.

I think the park still is beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter