Photopass warning for new Adventurers

loball

Earning My Ears
We have been big Disneyland fans since first going with our children some years ago, but had never been involved in any other Disney trips until our recent Imperial Cities Adventure by Disney. The tour was absolutely fantastic, exceeding our expectations. Throughout we were treated like VIPs, our Guides anticipating our needs and entertaining adults and children in style.

Here is my one complaint. I noticed right away that our Adventure Guides were taking photos of our family in many of the picturesque spots we visited. I asked one Guide if the photos they were taking would be available online after our trip, thinking I would save everyone the time and trouble of constantly handing my camera to the Guide and asking him/her to take an additional photo or two of our family. The Guide I asked hesitated, then answered "yes", the photos would be available. I also remember calling out, as the Guides scampered off with our children to throw pots or dress like Lords and Ladies or hold baby goats, "take lots of pictures!" and getting an almost pained expression from the Guide I called out to.

As it turned out, they DID take lots of pictures, but I was quite disappointed to learn upon our return home, that I would be required, after spending $11,000 plus $600 in tips for Guides (plus airfare, extra stay costs, meals, etc.) to spend an additional $125 in order to get a CD of those few photos that I opted not to, or was unable to, take myself. This one little ungenerous Disney decision has dampened some of the glow of our trip; reminded me less of the slick Disneyland shows and parades and magic and the pleasant, helpful people staffing the parks and more of the $3 bottles of water, long lines and cheap, but expensive, souvenirs.

So, my advice to future ABD Adventurers (I hope to get over this soon and be one) is to go ahead and hand your own camera to your Guides at every possible opportunity. I don't know what to do about capturing the precious moments your children will experience while they are not with you. Or, just be prepared that with Disney, your Adventure ends the moment you leave your last hotel and the nickel and diming will begin. My advice to Disney is to please allow your Adventure Guides to warn their guests that the photos they are taking will cost later and encourage them to take their own.

I'm sure someone more Disney-savvy than I will tell me that I should have known beforehand what Photopass was (it was never mentioned on our trip) and been prepared, but everyone must begin somewhere. I'm a little wiser now.

I think it is very reasonable to charge for a CD of photos of your trip. The photos the guides took during our trip were very well done. Each person needs to judge whether it is worth the $125 price for them.

How long after the trip do you get the photopass id? We've been back for 8 days and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

I agree with the OP that it would really make a difference if ABD would at least give us a certain number of photo credits. I also did not realize the exorbitant prices of the online pics until someone else in our group mentioned it on day 4 or 5. My initial understanding based upon the first night spiel was that the guides would be taking pictures as "an extra service" and that we'd be able to access the pictures online when we got home. I've never used photopass as most of our Disney trips are by ship. So I wrongly assumed we'd be able to just download the photos we liked.

If they gave me 10 free photos, I'd probably end up buying 10 more. But it does feel like being nickeled and dimed. I'm sure they are getting the HP equipment for free since HP is mentioned in the daily storybook.

I'm not upset about this, and have already booked my next ABD trip. But I do agree that these small touches make a difference!

How long after the trip do you get the photopass id? We've been back for 8 days and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

Photopass id will arrive 14-20 days after your trip. At that time, you also get, for free, a dvd compilation of the photos.

We felt like it was worth it, mainly because our guides pretty much took more pictures of our family than anyone else on the trip! :lmao: But also because they took the time to get some really cool shots of scenery and people that we wouldn't have known or thought to get. We also liked playing on the photopass and adding borders, etc.

Our guides were really careful not to imply that they would be giving the pictures to us. They didn't really want to admit they would even be available on photopass. I only knew from reading others' trip reports.

Once you get the cd, it is yours to copy or whatever. So it would be super easy to split the cost with another family on your trip and just burn a copy of the cd.

And they did give us postcards of about ten of the pictures. We did the math and figured we broke even on the cd if we wanted to purchase from Disney at least 10 of the pictures on the cd. Which we did, natch.

Having said all that, they were really good about taking multiple pictures with our camera for us, so if you want to avoid the whole photopass thing, just do as OP says. (But the candid shots from the guides' cameras were priceless!)

Thanks for the heads up. But probably most people who have ever cruised with DCL or bought pictures while in the parks, probably already knew the photos were not going to be cheap. The cost of the cruise pictures are what gets me. It's like $20 for one 8x10 and the packages go into the hundreds for just hard copy pictures. Just remember, if they did include the photos with the trip, they most likely would increase the rates. I imagine an increase of $75 per adult would happen pretty quick. At least with it being separate you have the choice to decline. But it is nice to get a reminder. Some may not be thinking of the extra cost.

Just to chime in.... A one week ABD tour will generate several hundred (yes, hundred) pictures taken by the Guides. Some of these photos are turned into 'free' postcards during the tour. Some of them are included in the slideshow DVD mentioned earlier in this thread. All of the photos are uploaded to Photopass and are tagged according to 'family', 'group', etc. This represents quite a bit of work for the Guides, so I have no issue in paying for any that I want.

Once you get the cd, it is yours to copy or whatever. So it would be super easy to split the cost with another family on your trip and just burn a copy of the cd.

every family DOES NOT get the same pictures on their photopass CD. Th one they send you is geared towards your family.

I have been in touch with some of the families in our group and their pictures are totally different from the one I received.

Some of the general shots of the areas might be included but for the most part they are not of the whole trip.

Thank you all for your replies. I actually do think that the photos the Guides took are very good. If they were not, then I wouldn't have a problem since I wouldn't want any. My complaint is that I was not made aware that I would be charged something later. I would have made more of an effort to get photos on my own camera. Several times I purposely did not hand the Guides my camera because is was taking forever for them to shoot the whole group or each family with their own AND everyone else's cameras. At the very least, I would have been prepared for this when we got home if something had just been said about it in the materials we got before we went or during the trip (maybe at the welcome dinner?)

I like the suggestion that Disney should include a coupon or something for a few photos. This would make it seem less "nickel and dimey" and at the same time inform us about Photopass. I liked the postcards made from our photos that we received during the trip - we sent them out to friends and family and so, no longer have them. They were a nice surprise, though not necessarily the exact photos I would have chosen.

My complaint is not about the photos or even about the cost (even though Shutterfly charges $9.99 for a DVD, not $124.99 for a CD). It's mostly about the lack of forewarning. It just smells a bit devious, and was in such contrast to the generous feel of the trip. I was just disappointed and, unfortunately, it's the feeling I am left with, since this happened after we got back and after I filled out my glowing survey. I guess I don't like being reminded that Disney is not actually my good buddy, but a mega-corporation determined to make money. My bad.

I have to admit, that even though I *knew* the photos were going to be in Photopass, and knew that Photopass was going to be expensive, $125 for a CD *DOES* seem excessively expensive to me. The time the Guides put into taking the pictures will have been spent whether you buy the CD or not, and the materials are negligible cost-wise. I just COULD not justify the cost.

That said, since I happened to know what Photopass was, I ignored the Guides when they said not to bother passing them my camera, because the pictures they were taking would be available online after the trip. (I'm pretty sure I asked them to verify it would be via Photopass). So did everyone else on the trip. We just all got used to the time taken to get all those shots at all those special places, especially the group shots.

I don't know what to say about the kids' pictures... that's a really hard one. How about sending a disposable camera with your kid, and let that be a part of the experience? (I'm sure the Guides wouldn't say "No" if your kid handed the camera to the Guide & said "Take my picture, please?")

Sayhello

This might help.

You can pre-order the CD for $99.95. Disney will send an email with the promotion code. I guess it goes without saying to keep this code in a safe place!

After your trip, when you go online to get the CD, you apply the promotion code to it. Standard shipping applies.

I'm getting this info direct from Disney's site at:
http://www.disneyphotopass.com/previsitcdplan.aspx

Now, I never have done PhotoPass during any of my trips. I never saw a need to do it. But my ABD trip will have a LOT of photo-restricted locations, and yet the guides will still be able to snap away. I haven't decided whether that would push me into getting this or not. I still think it's expensive, but I don't have the option to use my own camera at many of the locations.

At least now people know they can save 20% on the CD if they check out the Disney link I posted.

Thanks, Briar Rose, for that info about pre-purchasing the photo pass DVD! I had no idea you could do that before the trip. We were on the Backstage Magic tour on July 13th, and did not hesitate when buyind the DVD. Now we can print whatever pictures we want at our leisure. I could not choose just one or two after that fabulous vacation. We are really interested in doing another ABD vacation and would probably pre-purchase the DVD now that we know it can be done at a discount!

pixiedust: Jeff & Stacy

I haven't taken an ABD trip yet, but if there are quite a few good photos on the CD, $125 ($99 pre-purchase) might not be such a bad deal. You're not just paying for the materials. You're paying for the "digital negatives" and the right to print as many pictures as you want.

I went skydiving a few months ago, and a videographer/photographer jumped with me and the instructor. He took video and quite a few photos before, during, and after the jump. I did not have the option to buy a CD of photos. I was only able to buy prints in various sizes, and they were not cheap. The photographer retained full copyright, so I can't legally reproduce the photos. I quickly ran up a $50 bill photo bill in addition to the $100 I spent on the DVD of edited video footage, and I only got eight or nine 4"x6" prints. If anything ever happens to those prints, I'm out of luck.

I agree that ABD should mention the costs of the photos before or during the trip though.

This might help.

You can pre-order the CD for $99.95. Disney will send an email with the promotion code. I guess it goes without saying to keep this code in a safe place!

After your trip, when you go online to get the CD, you apply the promotion code to it. Standard shipping applies.

Now, I never have done PhotoPass during any of my trips. I never saw a need to do it. But my ABD trip will have a LOT of photo-restricted locations, and yet the guides will still be able to snap away. I haven't decided whether that would push me into getting this or not. I still think it's expensive, but I don't have the option to use my own camera at many of the locations.

At least now people know they can save 20% on the CD if they check out the Disney link I posted.

Thanks, this is great info! I think the OP's main point was that it's about the expectation. If I know ahead of time then I don't mind paying for the CD.

Everyone is going to have a different feeling about photo pass. We had originally thought about one family on the tour buying the CD and burning copies for everyone, but as someone has already posted, Disney is too smart for that. Of the 225 photos they sent us, about 95% were of the group, or the guides, or just our family. So much for sharing...

Our guides were clear about the fact that the pictures they were taking were going to be on photo pass, and there were people on our tour who were clear about what that would mean in terms of $$. We did pass cameras around and get a bunch of shots from lots of camera. But the guides got the white water rafting, which we didn't take, and there are lots of group shots they got that we didn't, plus they had some shots of the two of them that they took especially for photo pass, and those were good too. We were a little taken aback by the prices too, but compared to the prices of pictures on the cruise, they seem cheap. What we did was to figure out what pictures we had from photo pass that were different from or materially better than the pictures we had taken on our own. We created a separate "favorites" file for those, and it turned out to have 62 pictures in it. Then we decided to make a photo book using those pictures plus some of our own that we uploaded to the photopass site. For $70, you can get 20 pages with 4 pictures for page, and each additional page is only $1.49. So we wound up making an album with lots of pictures for less than the CD.

Just another thought...

This might help.

Ahh..I was wondering if the pre-order would work for this and will certainly do it for our Backstage Magic. To other people..be aware that the DisneyLAND photopass is much cheaper than the regular photopass..so if you are doing DLR do not pre order (I did and then had to cancel and get a refund and then just buy the cd.) Sorry for the OT.

This is the first year we bought the photo cd. We were on the fence about it until my daughter said that we had a $100 photo credit for photopass. Where did I get that you are asking? Well if you went on a previous ABD trip, when you went on your 2008 trip you got a welcome back pin. The pins where given to you on a card. The card had a code for the $100 photopass credit. Thank goodness I save everything. There was no minimum purchase. We bought the photo cd and my husband used some of those photos to make a photo book on shutterfly. Since there are 5 of us, we had 2 reservations and 2 $100 discounts. We made our holiday cards with the other discount. Go look for your coupon.:yay:

for those of you who have purchased your photos through photopass on an ABD trip, how was the photo quality?

The reason I'm asking is that we were in WDW back in February and we ordered a few photos and when we received them they were very grainy and dark. (we had ordered photos on another WDW trip a few years ago and they were very clear and bright).

Thanks for any insight!

This is the first year we bought the photo cd. We were on the fence about it until my daughter said that we had a $100 photo credit for photopass. Where did I get that you are asking? Well if you went on a previous ABD trip, when you went on your 2008 trip you got a welcome back pin. The pins where given to you on a card. The card had a code for the $100 photopass credit. Thank goodness I save everything. There was no minimum purchase. We bought the photo cd and my husband used some of those photos to make a photo book on shutterfly. Since there are 5 of us, we had 2 reservations and 2 $100 discounts. We made our holiday cards with the other discount. Go look for your coupon.:yay:

I dont remember a welcome back pin.I received a welcome back postcard from the travel guides. I had to enter the reservation number onto photopass to get access to the photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter