Photopass/Memory Maker- Yes or No

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
DW was playing around on MDE and asked about PhotoPass. I never considered it because I'm cheap, but she said to ask my "friends" on the forum. I know there are a bunch of PhotoPass threads on the rest of DIS, but I was wanting everyone's opinion on the Camping forum.

j

DW was playing around on MDE and asked about PhotoPass. I never considered it because I'm cheap, but she said to ask my "friends" on the forum. I know there are a bunch of PhotoPass threads on the rest of DIS, but I was wanting everyone's opinion on the Camping forum.

j

For our family it depends on the trip. When we went in January we did purchase the MM, but we were there for 11 days and brought extra kiddos with us. I knew we would take tons of photo pass pictures. When I went in April with just my mom and DD4, we were only there 5 days and I knew we wouldn't get the value from it.

There's also a third option. Individual downloads are $14.95, so you could pick out the best five photos or so and get Memory Maker "half off". That plus having your own photos and some Photopass photographers take pictures with your own camera should be enough memories if there's not a ton of you or you're not there for very long.

Thanks Cosmic and Heather,

There will be 5 of us. DW, DS and I have been quite a bit, but I'm bringing my sister and her daughter (my niece) who is 6 who have never been.

j

We love the Memory Maker. Everyone gets in the photo and they are professional quality. No worrying about finding someone to take your pic etc. The key is to use it. Get as many pictures as you can with it at all different locations. Doesn't mean you have to stop at every location and get a picture but stop at enough. They do take multiple pics at each location so you don't have to worry about someone blinking. Here is a guide I have found that explains all about it http://wdwprepschool.com/how-memory-maker-works/

They also have the magic shots available. With those the photographer may have you all point at the ground and tell you to act surprised. When you get the photo it will have stitch superimposed breaking out of the ground. Another photo may have Tinkerbelle and if you take a picture by the Haunted Mansion watch out for the hitchhiking ghost. Here is a link to a guide for that https://www.mouseketrips.com/ultimate-guide-disney-photopass-magic-shots/

Now all that said, to me it would also depend on how long you you will be there. A few days I might not get it, but more then that I would.

Forgot to add that the MM also gives you ride photos and the ride video from the 7DMT. Some if not all the dining locations that have photographers are included as well.

With our nephew we did not get it. The last two trips the DW and I have. Was nice for us and we tried to hit as many photographers up as we could. Some were even impressed with my camera and we talked about it. Of course we got ours before it went back up again in price this time.

We are going for 9 days. I think we will give it a try. It's not that expensive considering it covers all of us. I'll just have to remember to seek out the photographers. We are going during a slower period, so hopefully they will have enough working, but I won't have to fight my way to them.

j

When we went last in Feb of last year, it had the same crowd category and sometimes we found them just hanging about waiting for someone to give them work. So we obliged.

Have you done the math on one of you getting an AP? We like having Photopass as a bonus on our APs, but I doubt I would cough it up for it. Nice to have, but not a necessity for us. One of the things we like best is the ride photos showing up on the app, but I don't think you need to have a Photopass to be able to preview them...which is pretty much all we do. I do download them and post to Facebook or send to DS's friend's family (when the friend is traveling with us).

Have you done the math on one of you getting an AP?
I didn't consider an AP to get MM/PP, but the price difference between the 8 day hopper tickets we have ($495) and the Platinum AP ($779) is a lot more than MM ($169 in advance). I am considering converting our tickets to APs while we are there though. With DS out of school now, we aren't locked into going during the summer or school breaks. I'm thinking that flexibility might let us be more spontaneous with trips. Having an AP would make that even easier.

j

AP does give you use of it, and I used it well. I did not renew my AP this year as I did not expect to go enough to justify it. I am seriously considering it now because we Just booked a 5 day trip in October (French Quarter) and then I am returning in Feb with the rest of the crew for our two weeks.

j

Like you, we would never pay out of pocket for the MM as we enjoy taking out own personal photos. We do have it now though as we have AP's. (we realize it's a 'built in price' perk, with no choice of declining). We did use it some this last trip, but only because it was there - a few pics we did like. It's sort of like the Disney Dining Plan - not cost effective (to us), but convenient. Of course, it's to each their own what the value of it is - we all see it as it applies to us personally.

I love photo pass/ memory maker. We used it last trip and got so many great pictures of the whole family. No more pics of everyone minus dad. Perfect castle pictures, perfect pictures in front of the big xmas trees. We did Jedi training and the pics from that were just adorable. Our Hoop Dee Doo picture is a classic:)
The photographers are very good and my children listened to them when they said Smile! We took pictures everywhere so I feel like we got our money's worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter