Photopass in relation to MaxPass

barbaraann

Chicago Gal
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread with Photopass questions only in relation to the new MaxPass system. That way someone with a photo question, does not have to sift through pages and pages of fastpass questions to perhaps find an answer about a photo issue.

I am traveling to Disneyland in 44 days, and I have already bought my 5 day park hopper. I missed the opportunity to add MaxPass to my ticket already, but I want to add it when I arrive for my vacation, because of the Photopass feature. How secure is the app? I read somewhere in all the lengthy threads on MaxPass that someone lost a days worth of pictures. Will someone have the option of getting a photopass card as a backup? Or is that just being paranoid? I have always used Photopass a lot on my past trips to Disneyland, and $10 a day is worth it to me.

That person who lost her photos (on the app) posted that they were able to restore them, albeit painstakingly, at the Photo Shop. She said they advised her to get a PP card, and just use that when having pictures done (and add the card number to the app). So yes, it seems you can do a card with MP and PP.

I lost my photos yesterday (probably who you are thinking of). They did get them back for me. I would suggest getting an actual pp card and scan that as a backup. That is what she put my retrieved photos on. I also took a pic of the code....just in case. I was so sad about my lost photos as they included my dd's 15th birthday which is on Disneyland's birthday and a birthday surprise meet up at the castle with family from home...none of the kids knew we would be together in the park and the PP guy did such a great job capturing the moment. So glad they fixed it. Tho I suspect they will have the kinks worked out by the time you arrive. They are generally pretty good about that and seem to have the technology....they just need to get it all working correctly!

I lost my photos yesterday (probably who you are thinking of). They did get them back for me. I would suggest getting an actual pp card and scan that as a backup. That is what she put my retrieved photos on. I also took a pic of the code....just in case. I was so sad about my lost photos as they included my dd's 15th birthday which is on Disneyland's birthday and a birthday surprise meet up at the castle with family from home...none of the kids knew we would be together in the park and the PP guy did such a great job capturing the moment. So glad they fixed it. Tho I suspect they will have the kinks worked out by the time you arrive. They are generally pretty good about that and seem to have the technology....they just need to get it all working correctly!

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I do love the Photopass system, and want to continue to use it, especially at Disneyland. Not so into fastpass, although if I ride any of those rides, I will certainly use this new MaxPass. I like the whole concept.

Last edited:

Just wondering how it will work if you are already receiving the Photopass that was included with a Costco package. Will I have to purchase the Maxpass also or can my Photopass be upgraded to the Maxpass at a lesser price?

My documents say I am receiving a "Photopass Collection," not sure exactly what that is. We are WDW vets and this is not something we are familiar with. The FP to book on your phone is already included with your ticket at WDW but we do have to add the Photopass on extra.

Last edited:
Just wondering how it will work if you are already receiving the Photopass that was included with a Costco package. Will I have to purchase the Maxpass also or can my Photopass be upgraded to the Maxpass at a lesser price?

My documents say I am receiving a "Photopass Collection," not sure exactly what that is. We are WDW vets and this is not something we are familiar with. The FP to book on your phone is already included with your ticket at WDW but we do have to add the Photopass on extra.
I doubt they will give any special rate for the Maxpass if you have PP. We had the 7day PP purchased and paid full price for the MP. It was worth it to me for the fastpasses, but if I were to do it again I might not opt for the 7 day, but spend the extra for MP every day of our trip. It is only 3 of us and it was well worth the $30/day plus getting the photos would make it definitely worth it to me.

Probably a silly question, but will I still be able to access my PP pictures on my online account? To download and edit? That's how it is with WDW, but I'm second guessing everything now that this seems to be "new technology" at DL!

So just to clarify- if we buy Maxpass next week (2 day visit, so we'd buy it for each day)- do I need to bring my laptop and download the photos each night? Or can I do it when I get home? I don't want to risk them disappearing on me, but I'm guessing I'll be tired after a long day in the park.

So just to clarify- if we buy Maxpass next week (2 day visit, so we'd buy it for each day)- do I need to bring my laptop and download the photos each night? Or can I do it when I get home? I don't want to risk them disappearing on me, but I'm guessing I'll be tired after a long day in the park.
They won't disappear until the pictures themselves expire. At worst, you'll have a watermark on them, but even that shouldn't be a problem because the system will recognize that your account had MaxPass for that day and remove the watermark.

So happy someone started this thread, all the questions I have been thinking! We've never done the PhotoPass due to cost but having it included in the MaxPass cost helps my decision for trip in October.
Thank you all.

So how does this work exactly? I have never been to DL. I did have PP at WDW, but it has been years now. If I understand correctly, you have to enter the number for each photo taken into the app and then download them sometime that day/night? If you get a card to use, how do you do that? How long do you have access to these pics? Sorry for all the questions! I did some research on MP, and most of it talks about the FP aspect.

So how does this work exactly? I have never been to DL. I did have PP at WDW, but it has been years now. If I understand correctly, you have to enter the number for each photo taken into the app and then download them sometime that day/night? If you get a card to use, how do you do that? How long do you have access to these pics? Sorry for all the questions! I did some research on MP, and most of it talks about the FP aspect.

Open Disneyland app and push the Mickey symbol at the bottom. Scroll all the way down and there should be a place at the bottom of the page where it says "link photo pass". Hit that and there is a QR code that should pop up. That is what you have the photographers scan. You don't need a card anymore.

However, if you want a card that you need to link or you have the 8 digit number of a photo taken during a ride, there is a place in blue UNDER the QR code that says "link photo, card or purchase". Click on that and there will be a place to scan your photo pass card or enter your code.

That QR code is linked to your Disney account. We only have one Disney account in our household, so even if my husband is with my kids and has the photographer scan his phone instead of mine, the photos go to the same account (as long is he is signed in of course)

I hope that helped!

Thank you - that does help! If you want to save phone battery, can you get a card and have all photos put on te card and then link it to the MP? Is that what they meant above? How do you download them? I used to do it when I got home on my desktop, but it sounds like you need to do it the same day?

Yes, you can just get a card and link it (see above directions) to save battery. Just don't loose the card and at least take a pic of the card when you get it!

The pictures show up on your disneyland account once you link the card and you should be able to access that account desktop or phone.

You could always take a "screenshot" of your QR code and then you wouldn't even need to pull the app up every time when a photographer needed to scan your phone. You could keep your phone on airplane mode if you wanted, but still have access to that photopass QR code in your photos. Just an idea.

As for the time limits, I am not sure!

1)I have heard some people say that they had to be downloaded within 24 hours
2)but I think the more popular response is you can go home and download them at your convenience (I'm sure there is a reasonable time limit just like the way photopass used to be)

Hopefully someone can answer the time question definitively because I would like to know too!

Thank you much - so helpful! I plan to wear a lanyard with my ticket on one side, I can put the PP card facing the other way, then not have to use my phone for FP or photos (well I will to reserve the FP, but not when we are using them). Prefer to save as much battery as I can as I will be using it to take my own pics and also have my touring plans itinerary on there. I don't want to have to recharge any more than necessary.

Hopefully someone who knows will chime in on when you can download the photos.

Thank you much - so helpful! I plan to wear a lanyard with my ticket on one side, I can put the PP card facing the other way, then not have to use my phone for FP or photos (well I will to reserve the FP, but not when we are using them). Prefer to save as much battery as I can as I will be using it to take my own pics and also have my touring plans itinerary on there. I don't want to have to recharge any more than necessary.

Hopefully someone who knows will chime in on when you can download the photos.

You have 45 days to download the pictures

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter