PhotoPass+ CD; are they .jpgs? Can't I edit later?

Actually, a print release does not mean you can edit them, unless it SPECIFICALLY states that in the contract.

Here's part of the wording of the release I received when I ordered PP+ last year:

"Seller hereby grants Buyer a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, distribute, and display the digital photo files contained on the CD solely for personal, non-commercial use." (emphasis added by me).

IANAL, but it appears to me to include the right to edit them.

-Bob
Edit: oops, it appears I crossed paths with Frank. Great minds, etc :)

Frank and Bob- That is exactly what I was talking about with the wording specifically allowing editing :) So, with Photopass, you are legally allowed to edit :) Have fun everyone!

Yes, I would never dream of editing a professional photographers portraits of our family... but since Disney's Photopass doesn't do any editing, just gives them to me straight out of camera... I'm going to lighten them up at the very least. And thankfully they allow me to do that.

This is something I am well versed on, both as a portrait photographer, and working with copyright and patent lawyers in my previous job.

Sure hope your studio allows such edits.

And it makes me glad that my wedding photographer (who never used to allow people to buy the digital images at all) had a fire in his warehouse. He lost his OWN wedding photo negatives in that fire. Lost no customers' photos because they were kept elsewhere, but it terrified him, and he was GLAD to then offer full rights to pictures after that. Sure, got him a bit more money, but also got a heck of a liability (even if only emotional) off of his shoulders by letting us buy them. Nice section in the paperwork basically saying "I don't have ANYTHING of yours now, you understand that, right? you sure? YOU have the only copies of your stuff now...take care of it!"

Thanks to others willing to get off their behinds and type out the release. :) I was far too lazy. But I've been doing photopass for years now and knew it was allowed. Just hadn't memorized the wording. :)

Sure hope your studio allows such edits.

And it makes me glad that my wedding photographer (who never used to allow people to buy the digital images at all) had a fire in his warehouse. He lost his OWN wedding photo negatives in that fire. Lost no customers' photos because they were kept elsewhere, but it terrified him, and he was GLAD to then offer full rights to pictures after that. Sure, got him a bit more money, but also got a heck of a liability (even if only emotional) off of his shoulders by letting us buy them. Nice section in the paperwork basically saying "I don't have ANYTHING of yours now, you understand that, right? you sure? YOU have the only copies of your stuff now...take care of it!"

Thanks to others willing to get off their behinds and type out the release. :) I was far too lazy. But I've been doing photopass for years now and knew it was allowed. Just hadn't memorized the wording. :)

No, my studio does not allow editing. We do have cloud storage, etc., and do offer digital files to our clients (for a price)... this is a separate issue from editing abilities, however. Lots of reasons, but I do not want to take this thread on even more of a tangent, unless people actually want to know.

To the OP who asked if they could edit the files... according to the wording in Disney's release, yes you can :) So have fun with it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter