Photo strategy in the time of masks

I am one of those folks that is pretty bummed about having masks in all of our vacation photos.

With kids unable to get vaccinated (kids under 12 not even being tested at this point!) I suspect masks will be around in Disney for a long time, maybe even into next year. So I am trying to get creative with my photo strategy. Obviously, we'll have some photos with masks, but it seems the only time we'll be able to have photos without masks is in our room or while sitting down eating. I'd love to know what good outdoor dining areas have good views/backdrops, so I can snap a few photos of my girls' smiling faces.

Thanks in advance!

Just to be clear, we intend to follow ALL mask protocols and safety guidelines. I am just looking for opportunities to get a few smiling photos while in safe and approved areas/circumstances for mask removal.

We're still in a pandemic. There's nothing normal about going to the parks right now.

My suggestions are pick out some cute/fun Disney masks. Make the best of it.

I also find smiling under the mask helps with smizing. The eyes are the window to the soul.

Haven't been to Disney, yet, since December 2019. We went to our local zoo late last year. We just kept our masks on for photos. We figured it was a good way to date the photos in the years ahead. I imagine if mask requirements are still in effect when we go for Thanksgiving, we'll just leave them on again. We go pretty often, anyway.

In 20 years, you might be surprised that those handful of masked pictures are more meaningful to you than the thousands without masks. It is symbol of our time and what we're going through. Also shows the vacation for what it actually was, instead of some instagram fantasy.
There is my attempt at positive spin ;).
OP here. I agree with this and will definitely get all the mask pics too. :) Though my husband asked me the other day what we're going to say in ten years when our girls look at the photos and say... you took us to Disney World in the middle of a pandemic? :oops: I'm worried about getting travel shamed by strangers, and he's worried about getting travel shamed by our own kids in the future! LOL! Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I got some by the wishing well there is legit no one around and we stopped and had a quick snack.
No judgment at all, but I have a genuine question about this. If you are stopping to eat or drink, is this allowed? Can you stop literally anywhere, so long as you remain stationary and are actively eating and drinking? I've been wondering about this, because there are obviously places to buy snacks and drinks that do not have chairs and tables.

I would never advocate for taking off masks for pictures. Not only do I believe it's a good rule, I didn't mind it at all. It didn't at all affect our vacation fun. They are more strict than my state, and I wish there was more compliance at home. I only answered the question based on where I got a few nice pictures while actively eating without masks, Never, ever took any pictures on Disney property w/o masks, unless we were sitting and eating, or standing at the tables in Epcot. I don't want anyone thinking I was advocating for sneaking maskless pictures or encourage people to do that where not allowed.
I understood what you meant and, as the OP, appreciate your suggestions which were exactly what I was looking for - opportunities within the rules! :flower3:

OP here. I agree with this and will definitely get all the mask pics too. :) Though my husband asked me the other day what we're going to say in ten years when our girls look at the photos and say... you took us to Disney World in the middle of a pandemic? :oops: I'm worried about getting travel shamed by strangers, and he's worried about getting travel shamed by our own kids in the future! LOL! Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

No judgment at all, but I have a genuine question about this. If you are stopping to eat or drink, is this allowed? Can you stop literally anywhere, so long as you remain stationary and are actively eating and drinking? I've been wondering about this, because there are obviously places to buy snacks and drinks that do not have chairs and tables.

I understood what you meant and, as the OP, appreciate your suggestions which were exactly what I was looking for - opportunities within the rules! :flower3:
I'm here this week. Another word of advice, when taking mask pictures, take off your sunglasses. I look like I'm about to rob a bank in a few pics.

I'm here this week. Another word of advice, when taking mask pictures, take off your sunglasses. I look like I'm about to rob a bank in a few pics.
Yes, remember, you can smile with your eyes. That doesn't work if you're wearing sunglasses. Even when masks weren't required, sunglasses didn't make for good happy photo.

Yes you can, they literally rope of the area now for tables unless you have a reservation / ordered a meal through mobile app. I can’t be in line eating or drinking but away from people stationary I’m fine.

I get it. I hate wearing a mask and hate them in photos. I am NOT AN ANTI-MASKER!
I wear my mask all the time.

If you are going on a Disney vacation during this pandemic, think of it as a sign of the times. These pictures accurately depict what was going on when you took this particular vacation. It would actually be weird if you weren't wearing masks.

If you absolutely hate the idea of Disney pics with masks, that's what photoshop is for!

I’m not sure why so many people keep coming into this thread to convince people they should want pics with masks. They probably wouldn’t be reading this thread if they didn’t want to know where they can get a picture (within the rules) without one. You know, like the OP asked. I mean I hear you, “make lemonade.” Gotcha. But I’m not dropping $5K until I can get our first and probably last pic of myself and my two teens with the Falcon. Others feel the same AND THAT’S OK.

I’m not sure why so many people keep coming into this thread to convince people they should want pics with masks. They probably wouldn’t be reading this thread if they didn’t want to know where they can get a picture (within the rules) without one. You know, like the OP asked. I mean I hear you, “make lemonade.” Gotcha. But I’m not dropping $5K until I can get our first and probably last pic of myself and my two teens with the Falcon. Others feel the same AND THAT’S OK.

Cool, well until then I guess you guys can sulk in your chairs for another year while the rest of us enjoy being there and just have a piece of cloth on.

Yes, you can eat and/or drink as long as you are stationary and distanced (part of the equation). I would often grab a bottle of water and a small snack, find a bench, and eat/drink. I also used the built in ledges around the MK hub parallel to the Plaza restaurant when I got coffee. Once done my mask was back on my face.

Not trying to convince anyone that photos with masks are the same. But I am 100% convinced, masks are a fashion accessory! All the masks were 2 layer and reversible. The ears were also reversible. Just have fun with it!
View attachment 557535 View attachment 557537 View attachment 557536 View attachment 557539 View attachment 557541
Assuming that you made all those—great job! Super cute. But I still want to see our smiles on a multi-thousand dollar vacation. But if I lived close and could pop over any time, we’d totally be accessorizing.

Assuming that you made all those—great job! Super cute. But I still want to see our smiles on a multi-thousand dollar vacation. But if I lived close and could pop over any time, we’d totally be accessorizing.
I had the masks made. I did the ears. We took a lot of photos at each meal, in the skyliner, at the relaxation stations and at the pool. Our meals were all at different places, so the background is different and different clothes.

I had the masks made. I did the ears. We took a lot of photos at each meal, in the skyliner, at the relaxation stations and at the pool. Our meals were all at different places, so the background is different and different clothes.
I’d like to hear how it works in the relaxation stations where everyone is masks off Do you sit in a marked-off area and just take pics wherever you are? Or are there places to move around so you can get a background/angle you like? Assume at the restaurants you were just at your table. Can you move around in the Skyliner while it’s moving, I.e. all move to one side for a pic and then go back to your own seat?

I’d like to hear how it works in the relaxation stations where everyone is masks off Do you sit in a marked-off area and just take pics wherever you are? Or are there places to move around so you can get a background/angle you like? Assume at the restaurants you were just at your table. Can you move around in the Skyliner while it’s moving, I.e. all move to one side for a pic and then go back to your own seat?

Per the rules, you're supposed to stay seated (for safety) and masked during Skyliner rides. Makes sense, because another group will be in that same small space shortly afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter