Photo strategy in the time of masks

DisneyJade

Two decades on the DIS, lurking and learning
I am one of those folks that is pretty bummed about having masks in all of our vacation photos.

With kids unable to get vaccinated (kids under 12 not even being tested at this point!) I suspect masks will be around in Disney for a long time, maybe even into next year. So I am trying to get creative with my photo strategy. Obviously, we'll have some photos with masks, but it seems the only time we'll be able to have photos without masks is in our room or while sitting down eating. I'd love to know what good outdoor dining areas have good views/backdrops, so I can snap a few photos of my girls' smiling faces.

Thanks in advance!

Just to be clear, we intend to follow ALL mask protocols and safety guidelines. I am just looking for opportunities to get a few smiling photos while in safe and approved areas/circumstances for mask removal.

I get it! We went in Oct and am so disappointed with our pics in masks but it is what it is. Our favorite pic was a selfie on our balcony at BWV with Swan in the backdrop only bc we weren't wearing masks. I don't have an answer for your question to outdoor dining locales tho. Sorry!

Relaxation area at tomorrowland terrace, tables and chairs in front of Casey's and ice cream plaza, (castle) flame tree (expedition Everest) relaxation area in front of the bird show in Asia (tree of life) min and bills seating area (Chinese theater) relaxation zone in batuu, woody's lunchbox (tsland) outdoor seating at sunset market (ToT) virtually any bar table at world showcase for several backdrops

I think I see a market for an app that can somehow digitally remove face masks by using photos without masks. I am not skilled enough to make such an app, but would love it if there was one.

That being said, we went to Dollywood and Silver Dollar City over the summer and both allowed masks to be removed while taking photos as long as your entire party was more than six feet away from anyone else and you were outdoors or in a mask relief area. I thought this was a good compromise and would love to.see Disney do the same.

I think I see a market for an app that can somehow digitally remove face masks by using photos without masks. I am not skilled enough to make such an app, but would love it if there was one.

That being said, we went to Dollywood and Silver Dollar City over the summer and both allowed masks to be removed while taking photos as long as your entire party was more than six feet away from anyone else and you were outdoors or in a mask relief area. I thought this was a good compromise and would love to.see Disney do the same.
It took Disney 1 week to revert that decision, people just took advantage of taking their pics and then walking away without masks on. If people were to follow rules they would've been able to leave the no masks for photos policy continue

Relaxation area at tomorrowland terrace, tables and chairs in front of Casey's and ice cream plaza, (castle) flame tree (expedition Everest) relaxation area in front of the bird show in Asia (tree of life) min and bills seating area (Chinese theater) relaxation zone in batuu, woody's lunchbox (tsland) outdoor seating at sunset market (ToT) virtually any bar table at world showcase for several backdrops

Awesome. Thank you!!

In 20 years, you might be surprised that those handful of masked pictures are more meaningful to you than the thousands without masks. It is symbol of our time and what we're going through. Also shows the vacation for what it actually was, instead of some instagram fantasy.

There is my attempt at positive spin ;).

In 20 years, you might be surprised that those handful of masked pictures are more meaningful to you than the thousands without masks. It is symbol of our time and what we're going through. Also shows the vacation for what it actually was, instead of some instagram fantasy.

There is my attempt at positive spin ;).
That's our take on it too. Make sure you get at least a couple of masked photos to remember this crazy year. After all, that is the reality of what this trip was--it was a trip in a pandemic, and wearing masks is part of the experience.

But I also understand wanting to have a couple of photos with smiles. One recommendation: get a waterproof phone case or one of those clear plastic waterproof phone pouches--Disney pools have really nice theming/backdrops and we got a lot of nice pictures of the kids splashing away in the resort pool.

Disney also released some guidance on allowing certain masks that are see through. Might be helpful for photos if you can find something that meets Disney's requirements (which I confess were super confusing to me).

We arrive Thursday, this is great info!

I am one of those folks that is pretty bummed about having masks in all of our vacation photos.

With kids unable to get vaccinated (kids under 12 not even being tested at this point!) I suspect masks will be around in Disney for a long time, maybe even into next year. So I am trying to get creative with my photo strategy. Obviously, we'll have some photos with masks, but it seems the only time we'll be able to have photos without masks is in our room or while sitting down eating. I'd love to know what good outdoor dining areas have good views/backdrops, so I can snap a few photos of my girls' smiling faces.

Thanks in advance!

Just to be clear, we intend to follow ALL mask protocols and safety guidelines. I am just looking for opportunities to get a few smiling photos while in safe and approved areas/circumstances for mask removal.
others have mentioned do not forget the relaxation zones which are mask free

This is all dependent upon the crowds because it can quickly become congested. Also, sometimes a Photopass CM is stationed there already so you can't camp out in their area..... Before crossing the bridge into Adventureland, there are a few places where you could sit on a bench or pull to the side for a snack (cheeseburger eggroll!) and grab some great pictures with the Adventureland sign in the background. The area is small, but it has lots of foliage and water nearby with the Crystal Palace and Cinderella Castle peaking out.

Thank you, everyone, for the awesome ideas. This is why I've been on these boards for 20 years! :flower3:

I've built all of these ideas into our daily itineraries. I'm actually really looking forward to having moments to slow down this trip, sit and have a snack, take a photo - not just rush from ride to ride.

I did get a few photos of my daughter in front of the castle last week without her mask and one at the Mickey ears thing at the Contemporary. After I got them she quickly put her mask back on. Others were doing the same thing. We were quick and not close to anyone else, nothing was said.

I did get a few photos of my daughter in front of the castle last week without her mask and one at the Mickey ears thing at the Contemporary. After I got them she quickly put her mask back on. Others were doing the same thing. We were quick and not close to anyone else, nothing was said.

I got some by the wishing well there is legit no one around and we stopped and had a quick snack.

You were very lucky. Something should have been said, and would have if you had been seen. When everyone starts trying this they will have to be much more vigilant with everyone. Pretty soon CMs will have to be staked out at these spots to stop it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter