• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photo of receipt showing automatically added gratuity?

BecBennett

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
Bit of an odd request, but does someone happen to have a photo of a drink receipt, showing that the gratuity has automatically been added?

Bit of an odd request, but does someone happen to have a photo of a drink receipt, showing that the gratuity has automatically been added?
The receipt doesn't specify the gratuity amount, it's simply included in the overall price of the drink. You can add further tip on top.

When is happy hour and do u get happy hour for cocktails
On my current dream sailing it’s from 6-7 and 9-10 at pub 687, pink, and currents. 50% off for cocktails, beers, and wines that are listed on the menus in each place is what I was told. But I’ve only experienced it in pub 687 for beer as I haven’t made it to the other places yet.

Interesting…the auto gratuity is 18% on the list price.

Ours did not last week on the Wonder. It was a single price. Perhaps it has something to do with the law in Australia.
That's why I'm trying to get photos :teeth: I'm in a little bit of an online debate about whether the 18% has been included in the cost showing on Australian cruises. I was under the belief that it has been factored in, and therefore not shown, and not required to add an additional tip. However there has been a few people saying that it's not automatically included and you need to add it on.

All of this is why I love the Virgin Voyages model of doing things. No crew gratuities. They are paid a much higher wage from the outset and crew positions are not considered 'tipped' positions. So basically, you just pay for it up front.

It was nice to order a $9.00 drink at the bar, and it cost $9.00, not $10.62...

I'm still a bit salty about when I wanted the MV sailing Wish cooler they were selling, you could only get them at a "bar stand" on the deck. Because it was there (and not in the shop), I got to pay an extra $2.50 tip to someone to reach into a box and hand it to me...

Ours did not last week on the Wonder. It was a single price. Perhaps it has something to do with the law in Australia.
I imagine a change for us Aussies as we don’t have a tipping culture. There are many Australians who have no intention of tipping their room attendants and servers.

I think Disney is still trying to figure out how to approach “tipping” for the Australian market and trailing both keeping it separate and automatically including it.

I imagine a change for us Aussies as we don’t have a tipping culture. There are many Australians who have no intention of tipping their room attendants and servers.

I think Disney is still trying to figure out how to approach “tipping” for the Australian market and trailing both keeping it separate and automatically including it.
If Aussies are going to be jerks and not pay the automatic gratuities, then next year, I'd just make the gratuities mandatory and be done with it. It's probably good that I don't get to make those decisions.

If Aussies are going to be jerks and not pay the automatic gratuities, then next year, I'd just make the gratuities mandatory and be done with it. It's probably good that I don't get to make those decisions.
I don't think that the PP was trying to be a jerk. I think that they were suggesting that DCL just charge an upfront fare that already includes all that, then nobody has to worry about tipping. Similar, again, to what Virgin Voyages does.

I don't think that the PP was trying to be a jerk. I think that they were suggesting that DCL just charge an upfront fare that already includes all that, then nobody has to worry about tipping. Similar, again, to what Virgin Voyages does.
I was referring to "[the] many Australians who have no intention of tipping their room attendants and servers", not the poster that I quoted.

If Aussies are going to be jerks and not pay the automatic gratuities, then next year, I'd just make the gratuities mandatory and be done with it. It's probably good that I don't get to make those decdecisions
Not sure that's a fair statement as it's not part of Australian culture. DCL probably needs to make some changes on their end to account for this.

There are cruise lines who only offer packages with pre-paid gratuities to the German market. Exactly for the same reason. Not a tipping culture. So they factor it into the cruise fare. It is being marketed as an all inclusive fare (I think also with drinks package) as one set price: don’t worry about extras onboard. So you never know how much of this price is for gratuities.

We just got off and the drinks were just one listed price with no automatically added gratuity. They also seemed to possibly be trialing no tipping for room service - no docket was available to sign / add a tip so you could only tip if you had US dollars in cash.

We just got off and the drinks were just one listed price with no automatically added gratuity. They also seemed to possibly be trialing no tipping for room service - no docket was available to sign / add a tip so you could only tip if you had US dollars in cash.
That's where the confusion is coming from - because there wasn't an itemised line that stated autogratuity, but there was a line that specified a tip, she believes it meant you had to add your own, but I believe it was factored in 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter