Photo Editing Software

tiger95

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

I currently use a mix of freeware apps (Irfran, Serif PhotoPlus 6, and Picasa)to do my photo editing. I would like to upgrade and get a little more advanced with what I am doing. I really can't see paying $600 for Photoshop (I am sure it is worth it, if I had the cash) but would like to do some of the basic functions it handled. Would Photoshop Elements be a good alternative (i.e. lower priced) for this? As I said, I would like to handle some basic editing functions as well as creating some web graphics?

Thanks for reading,
JD

When I was doing this I got it down to between Photoshop Elements 4 and Paint Shop Pro X. I decided on Paint Shop Pro X because is was more a "pro" type package according to all the reviews I read about it. For the price of $79.95 at PC Connection (plus a $30 in box rebate), I felt I couldn't go wrong.

You should also do a search on this forum. There was another thread before Christmas talking about a few other packages.

I also use PAint SHop Pro X, the reviews I read were great, one stated that it will basically do what photoshop does for a lot less money...

It has great basic fixes, but has all the capability you will ever need.

E.

Another PaintShop Pro X user here. :) I use Raw Shooter to process my RAW files and then any other editing I want to do, I do in PSP.

Sorry. I just couldn't let all this Paint Shop Pro luvin' go unchallenged...

Seriously, though, I use Elements 3 and I really like the Quick Fix mode. Just a couple adjustments of the sliders and you're golden. I especially like the Shadows / Highlights tools. And when you need more there's the standard edit mode. I haven't used Elements 4 but I'm sure they've included something similar.

I use the full Photoshop at work but find it's overkill for almost all of my home editing needs. I wouldn't spend the money.

By the way, I admit that I've never used Paint Shop Pro X so it might be a great program too. Why don't you download the demos and see which one you prefer?

I need a new software too.... I have been using Adobe for 8 years - it's version 2.0! (1997)

even though I have other, recent versions - I just don't like them and always go back to 2.0. I keep getting corruption errors now, and scratch disc full errors, when I reinstall it gets worse...

I downloaded photoshop for the trial and hated it, found it very un-user friendly and again went back to my beloved 2.0.

I just don't know what to do now, I am really stuck. I can use my 2.0 but I never know when it will freeze up & crash. The other day I was working on a pic where I had my hubby on the bridge at St. Andrews golf course in scotland and I was trying to add the guys he had golfed with (from other photos) to make it look like they were all on the bridge together.

I had added 5 men and it was looking pretty good when the program crashed and I lost it all... it was a good 3 hours I had been working on the pic, cropping the guys, stripping the backgrounds and manipulating the main pic... with layers what a pain :rolleyes:

Now I have to start over....

So with money not being a problem, can anyone recommend a simple yet powerful tool for cropping, resizing, sharpening, stripping backgrounds, layering?

Thanks in advance

PaulD said:
Sorry. I just couldn't let all this Paint Shop Pro luvin' go unchallenged...

Seriously, though, I use Elements 3 and I really like the Quick Fix mode. Just a couple adjustments of the sliders and you're golden. I especially like the Shadows / Highlights tools. And when you need more there's the standard edit mode. I haven't used Elements 4 but I'm sure they've included something similar.

I use the full Photoshop at work but find it's overkill for almost all of my home editing needs. I wouldn't spend the money.

By the way, I admit that I've never used Paint Shop Pro X so it might be a great program too. Why don't you download the demos and see which one you prefer?

PAint Shop PRo X will allow you to do what photoshop does for a small fraction of the price,

they've added 3 awesome tools...

with the click of your mouse you can whiten teeth, remove blemishes or brush on a suntan,,,all quite simply..

and the learning curve is mush easier than photoshop...

You have to love the passion people have for their equipment and software. About all that is missing is a post with the tag line, "My hockey mom can beat up your soccer mom." :teeth: Paint Shop Pro has some great features and their tool selection is first rate. I love the album mode in Adobe Elements with the full featured calendar view with all of the EXIF data included. It's all a matter of what you want to do and when. Just like most of us probably don't have one tool in the tool box in the garage, so it is with editing software. But I do have to admit after spending several hours "tweaking" a photo only to realize the original was probably better than the after effect, I have been tempted to get the hammer out of my toolbox and work on the computer. :)

Jeff

I'm not married to Photoshop Elements. In fact, there are some things that drive me nuts (the Album included). I guess I'll have to give Paintshop Pro a try. I hope the Adobe gods don't strike me down...

By the way, GIMP is not color managed. A lot of people probably won't care but for me it's a deal breaker.

PaulD,

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but what do you mean by Gimp not being color managed?

Thanks,
Jd

Color is defined by a combination of Red, Green, and Blue. Each device interprets color slightly different. This means that your camera may see blue differently than your monitor which may see it differently than your printer. The results are inconsistent color through the digital workflow. Color managment is a set of standards that calibrate the various devices so that blue is blue is blue (from the example above). This means that the color captured on your camera looks the same on the monitor which is the same when you print it out. No more seeing blue in the camera but when you print it the picture shows purple. Color management has been something only dedicated professionals were able to afford but devices and a lot of graphics software now have the capability to adhere to color management rules and profiles to give you more consistent results.

Jeff

Jeff,

So for instance, if you are using Gimp to edit your photos the color you see on the screen may not correspond to what you get when you print it out?

Thanks,
Jd

tiger95 said:
Jeff,

So for instance, if you are using Gimp to edit your photos the color you see on the screen may not correspond to what you get when you print it out?

Thanks,
Jd

That's correct. If you've ever looked at a display of TVs (or computer monitors) you'll notice that they all look a little different in how they render color. Mostly, they're pretty close but sometimes you'll have one that's really out of whack. Jeff's explanation is really good. You can calibrate all of your devices or just some of them. I have my monitor calibrated so that work that I do on an image to get the color just the way I want it will be printed the same way at the lab (since this lab also uses color management). But, if I were to use GIMP I would not have that advantage since GIMP does not recognize color profiles (calibrations). So that really nice shade of orange that I managed to get in a sunset may not print the same way if I use GIMP. And the way that the image looks on my monitor may not look the same on yours. But, if we are all using calibrated devices with color managed software then, theoritically, the image looks the same for everyone.

Whether this all matters to you is questionable. Some monitors render color very close to what they would if they were calibrated. Some do not (like mine) and require calibration to look right. Also, color tends to shift over the life of a monitor and so periodic calibration is needed to normalize this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter