Phone chargers

I believe some of not all of the rooms also have USB ports at the desk and other areas. While they most likely will charge your device slower, it could mean just bringing a cable instead of your whole charger.

There are two USB chargers on the desk and another two on the clock radio next to the bed.

I wonder if the OP maybe meant the portable battery chargers rather than a charger cable, since the former have lithium batteries and so cannot be kept in checked luggage on planes. I've always carried mine with me, but I don't think it would be an issue to have it in your luggage for DCL because it is not on the prohibited items list.

Just to note, the charger in the clocks is very slow. It will charge, but I brought mine, because I just wanted to have my device available when I needed it. But in a pinch, the clock will charge.

Come to think of it, I can't remember if it only charged my iphone or also charged the ipad (which requires a different voltage).

Come to think of it, I can't remember if it only charged my iphone or also charged the ipad (which requires a different voltage).
Actually, both iPads and iPhones recharge at the same nominal USB voltage (5 volts, but I’ve seen USB chargers with actual output ranging from 4.8 to 5.2 volts). The difference is the power supplied by the charger. Since power depends on both voltage and current (as their product), the larger charger used with the iPad provides more current (and thus power) than the smaller one that ships with the iPhone. The smaller iPhone charger has less current capacity (about 1 Amp so about 5 watts power) than the iPad charger (about 2 - 2.4 Amps, so 10 - 12 watts power depending on the particular charger supplied with your device). You can use the iPad charger to charge your iPhone, and it will charge faster if you do. Using the lower capacity iPhone charger with the iPad may not be very effective. Since phone and tablet both use smart charging to manage the charging process, using a higher capacity charger will not harm the devices. I never use the supplied charger with my iPhone, since the higher capacity of the iPad charger provides a quicker recharge.

It may take longer to charge a device when using the USB ports associated with clocks, table lamps, and other devices commonly found in hotel rooms and ship staterooms, depending on how much power they supply. In most cases, they may supply only 5 watts, so not a good choice for recharging some larger tablet devices in a reasonable amount of time but sufficient for many cell phones, E-readers, watches, fitness trackers, etc.

Last edited:
It may take longer to charge a device when using the USB ports associated with clocks, table lamps, and other devices commonly found in hotel rooms and ship staterooms, depending on how much power they supply. In most cases, they may supply only 5 watts, so not a good choice for recharging some larger tablet devices in a reasonable amount of time but sufficient for many cell phones, E-readers, watches, fitness trackers, etc.

That has been our experience with similar setups. They work great for overnight charging of the majority of your devices, but not suitable for a mid day fast charge.

A vote for carry on bag. I have a backpack we use for my medicines, some toiletries, etc., and electronics - tablets, batteries, chargers and cables. Everything but the tablets travels in a gallon ziplock bag. It's all in one place and the zip lock makes it easier for security too. We were initially concerned there would not be enough outlets for our chargers. I checked with DCL to make sure this would be an approved device - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P93618...olid=1KZAAS3A6OM0X&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it - it is a 6 port charger from Anker. I still carried our individual chargers, but they stayed in the zip lock bag. This also became our primary charger when we got home.

BTW - the Dream and Fantasy require a card be inserted in a slot by the door in order to activate power for the room. You are supposed to use your KTTW card but people usually have a card with a magnet on it to stick it on the wall above the slot when they are not in the room. If you do this, you will not be able to charge your devices when you are not in the room. It's not a problem if you know about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter