• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Phoenix & Sedona

hops&dreams

DIS Veteran
Flying out to visit my sister in Phoenix in a couple of weeks. She is moving back to the midwest this fall, and this will be the only trip we'll have out there while she lives there. We are taking a couple days and heading to Sedona to celebrate my birthday, and will be out there for about a week total.

What are the "can't miss" things to do/see? So far here's what we are interested in:
  • Musical Instrument Museum (DD-17 is very interested, as she's a violist)
  • Possible jeep tour in Sedona - any recommendations?
  • hiking in Sedona?
  • Grand Canyon
  • Taliesin West (because we're architecture nerds)
  • Diamondbacks Game (go Cubs!)
  • Commemorative Airforce Airbase Arizona (we're also plane nerds)

Thanks for any tips!

There is so much to see, it's hard to know where to start!

For openers, between Phoenix and Sedona is Montezuma Castle National Monument. You exit I-17 at Camp Verde and it's just a short distance off the expressway. That's an early (+/- 1,000 years ago) cliff dwelling that is in good shape. You can't go up into the cliff dwelling, but the walkway passes very close below it. This is a short side-trip, but worth the couple of hours you will spend. www.nps.gov/moca

In Sedona, one don't-miss is the Chapel of the Holy Cross. That's a Catholic church actually built into the red rock. Beautiful from a distance, up close, inside and outside. Do NOT miss!

Another place for some good views is the Sedona Airport. It's on top of a mesa, so you can see vast panoramas from there and from a viewing stop on the way up or down.

Just north of Sedona is the famous Oak Creek Canyon, which you will pass through on your way to and from Grand Canyon. On the way up the canyon, you might stop at the Indian Gardens Cafe & Market. Good counter service food, but then you eat in a lovely outdoor garden.

I would do Grand Canyon as a day trip from Sedona since you don't have much time. The drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon Village is a bit more than two hours. Easy drive except the switchbacks in Oak Creek Canyon...and they are not bad. Be sure to check Grand Canyon's visitation restrictions to see if you need a reservation to enter: www.nps.gov/grca

What about the Redrock Scenic Byway? I’ve never been to Sedona but it looks amazing!
That's just a name that someone hung on AZ 179 which is the entry road to Sedona from I-17 northbound from Phoenix. It is very beautiful, with several places to stop, and you'll get your first view of the Chapel of the Holy Cross from that roadway.

Also on that road, just before you get into Sedona's "downtown," is Tlaquepaque (Ta-LOCK-a-pocky) Arts & Shopping Village. Lots of cool shops and good places to eat.

In general, Sedona is massive red rock beauty with a distinct '60's hippy vibe and a generous helping of weird. Fun place to visit, for sure!

The Desert Botanical Gardens in Pheonix are pretty awesome. Maybe as an evening thing as it is quiet hot and dry in that area right now.

I liked the Pink Jeep tour we took a few years ago. We started in Scottsdale, a short stop in Sedona, then to the Grand Canyon. It was a lot to cover in one day, but Pink Tours has a lot of different tours, by bus or jeep, you can take.
I agree that the Desert Botanical Garden is a must-see. Old Town Scottsdale is worth walking around, it's very close to Phoenix. For an indoor activity, (air conditioning!) the Museum of the West was a great stop - artifacts from the "cowboys and Indians" era, a lot of paintings, sculptures, pottery.

In Phoenix try to do as many indoor things as you can because it is hot! Do not try to hike in the daytime hours due to the heat in Phoenix. Sedona is cooler to hike in but be sure to bring plenty of water when you drink half your water that's when it's time to turn around. We've had several heat related deaths recently from people out hiking so I just wanted to give you a warning.

The Musical Instrument Museum is fantastic! I would definitely include it, especially as your daughter is a musician. The exhibits are very well done, and I ran across several historical objects that really made an impression on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter