PhD -- do you use the title Dr?

I have an MBA too. We certainly don't have a title with that degree, but I have seen a lot of people add the MBA designation to the end of their name (i.e. Joe Smith, MBA). Its not something I would personally do, but I think the concept is similar to Doctor vs not in this thread.

I agree. I had a woman work for me who slapped all kinds of initials after her name in her e-mail signature and I always thought it was ridiculous looking. I have an MBA as well and am a CPA (inactive), but I never felt it necessary to add anything to the end of my name personally.

It makes sense in a professional/academic setting. I always called my professors “Doctor” at school. Outside of that, I don’t think so.

At the end of the day, if you’re on a flight and they ask you if there is a doctor on board then everyone knows who they’re asking for.

A friend of mine who is a teacher pointed out that not only *can* teachers who have doctorates use their title in the school setting, but that they *should*
Being a teacher (of 1st graders or community college students or MIT grad school students) is partially about modeling what it looks like to be an educated person and to value education. Having students know that their teacher values education enough to receive their terminal degree has power.
In an educational setting, I absolutely agree. I think most would. I think the question is more whether the same title should be used outside of an educational setting. Its not necessarily relevant outside of education, so I think it just depends on opinion and how people have been taught to use it during their schooling. The individual should certainly be proud of the degree they worked so hard to achieve, but when using the title in instances where its irrelevant, does it become a little showboat-y or self-righteous? I think that's the question.

A friend of mine who is a teacher pointed out that not only *can* teachers who have doctorates use their title in the school setting, but that they *should*
Being a teacher (of 1st graders or community college students or MIT grad school students) is partially about modeling what it looks like to be an educated person and to value education. Having students know that their teacher values education enough to receive their terminal degree has power.
Absolutely!! It's very important to model the importance of higher education at all levels. I work for two schools where both the principal and president of the schools have PhD's in education. Both are addressed as Dr. by faculty, staff, students and the school community. It's a distinguished, earned designation that no one can diminish.

Here’s another thought:

If you had to address Martin Luther King, Jr. with a title, what title would you choose?

Because my natural inclination is to say Dr. King. Maybe Rev. King, but Dr. King sounds more familiar.

I would never refer to him as Mr. King.

In an educational setting, I absolutely agree. I think most would. I think the question is more whether the same title should be used outside of an educational setting. Its not necessarily relevant outside of education, so I think it just depends on opinion and how people have been taught to use it during their schooling. The individual should certainly be proud of the degree they worked so hard to achieve, but when using the title in instances where its irrelevant, does it become a little showboat-y or self-righteous? I think that's the question.

Why is it show-boaty for her, but not for the podiatrist down the street? I would hope friends of Jill, or friends of the podiatrist, call them by their first name. But in a situation where you would call some Mr/Mrs/Captain/Reverend/whatever, then why would it be less appropriate to call someone Dr. than Mrs.?

What, exactly, are people arguing against? Are they saying that a woman who was an EdD (or a PhD or DEng or whatever....) should select "Mrs." on the drop down menu instead of Dr.? Because that's some serious sexist horse puckey there. (Because no, I don't believe they would suggest that for men.)

Or are they saying that if someone moves in next door, they should introduce themselves to their neighbors as Jill and Joe instead of Dr. Smith or whatever? Because sure... anyone who introduces themselves to their neighbors, or to people at a party or something, as Dr. Soandso - regardless of the degree - is showboat-y, to say the least.

Me too. I think it's a weird flex.
Why? I think it's appropriate.

My niece is a college professor with a PhD and goes by doctor. I think college students these days have an admiration and appreciation for her wealth of knowledge and would not think twice about calling her doctor. I think it's older people like the guy who wrote the article who try to cause trouble because of their own shortcomings and prejudices. Today's young people know better.

Last edited:
Yep. And when that was the only thing he could think of, he went for it with both guns blaring. He's a misogynistic moron.
Or maybe just a regular moron. More likely a hyperpolitical moron. I'm not sure his criticism had anything to do with her sex.

The Wall Street Journal Opinion article on Jill Biden and "Dr" sure has ruffled some feathers. I can't speak to the political or gender beliefs of the author, but it has been a subject of heated debate in our newsroom. Journalists frequently use the AP Style Book for the proper way to put things. It is in many newsrooms the Bible of how things should be written. One of our managers who strongly believes in the AP Style Book, and strongly believes we should refer to Jill Biden as Dr. Jill Biden was horrified to discover that "Doctor" is only considered proper for someone with a medical degree according to the AP Style Book. She was also horrified to discover that it has been in the AP Style Book since the first edition was put out in 1953.

As for me, I have not in my career referred to anyone who did not have a medical degree as "Doctor" But I take it one step further. Is there even a reason to "label" someone. If you are talking to a physician about brain surgery, yes Doctor is appropriate. If you are talking to a physician about their child winning the Little League Championship, then no there is no need to identify them as "Doctor".

Why? I think it's appropriate.

My niece it a college professor with a PhD and goes by doctor. I think college students these days have an admiration and appreciation for her wealth of knowledge and would not think twice about calling her doctor. I think it's older people like the guy who wrote the article who try to cause trouble because of their own shortcomings and prejudices. Today's young people know better.
And I think just the opposite. I think today's young people probably know a lot of their peers that obtained or are in the process of obtaining their PhD and are probably very unimpressed by the degree.

I can name quite a few professors that were absolute train wrecks and convinced me that anyone with time and money can get a PhD.

And I think just the opposite. I think today's young people probably know a lot of their peers that obtained or are in the process of obtaining their PhD and are probably very unimpressed by the degree.

I can name quite a few professors that were absolute train wrecks and convinced me that anyone with time and money can get a PhD.
It may vary depending on the industry. In my industry on the job experience is of greater value. I have my Bachelors Degree and 40+ years on the job experience I work side by side with people with Master Degrees and less than 10 years on the job experience. And we all report to a boss with a High School Diploma, and 15 years on the job experience. Doesn't matter. We all have a job to do.

I know a ton of PhDs. Agree, they are not all created equal. o_O Just like the inane theory of promoting awful workers up and out to remove them from your department, making them someone else's problem, there are PhD programs who graduate students just to get them out and gone to make way for new, more promising students.

I agree with this.

Dr. Jill Biden should use her education in her professional role as first lady. It is a position that calls for a formal honorific and she happens to have a doctorate so her honorific is Dr. I know many people who have doctorates and most use Dr. at times when their formal name is being used. However, they are also called Mr., Ms., etc. at times and don't object. My dad was an MD and never had a problem answering to Mr. - though it would have been inappropriate for someone to call him that in a hospital or clinical setting unless they didn't know he was a doctor. He is no longer licensed so is not a doctor, but honorifics don't change just because you've retired, the degree that earned that honorific still stands.

As a retired person he has actually preferred to be called Mr. by people who don't already know him as a doctor though. People can get really snarky about a "doctor" title and he was just tired of it. I have personally heard the way many people say "doctor" with a sneer and I don't blame him.

I have a PhD in the sciences. So, I've always used "Dr" in a professional setting. My K-12 colleagues call me by my first name. My students call me Dr. Abdmom.

My late dh had an MD. When we would get invitations addressed to both of us or were introduced at a party, it was always "Dr. and Mrs.". That was fine with me too, because I was being introduced as his wife rather than as an expert in my field. We had different last names though. So, sometimes I was Dr. Abdmom and sometimes I was Mrs. Soandso. DH never cared if he was called Mr. Soandso in a non-professional setting, such as in a store or at parent-teacher conferences.

I will absolutely defend Dr. Biden's usage of "Dr." in any formal or professional setting. Now that she will be the First Lady, I would imagine that the vast majority of her interactions will be formal or professional settings.

Many Universities expect their professors to obtain a doctorate degree in their field.

Depends. That's usually a prerequisite for any professorship unless a doctorate is rarely a terminal degree. One of the weird ones is architecture. There are very few Ph.d programs. I used to get curious and looked through my course catalogs that included full lists of professors. I barely saw any Ph.ds, and I understand it's pretty rare. I saw a few, but most full professors only had a masters in architecture.

I absolutely agree that Dr. Jill Biden should use the title "Dr." in her role as First Lady. Traditionally, the First Couple is referred to as "President and Mrs. So and So," not George and Barbara or Barry and Michelle. In that situation, it's perfectly proper and correct for them to be "President and Dr. Biden," because she is, by definition, a doctor. She strikes me as the laid-back type who likely goes by Jill with the neighbors and the kids' friends and everyone else she actually knows. But in a high-profile position like First Lady? I think the title is definitely correct.

As for letters after the name in signatures, when I worked in residential mental health, we were required to sign our credentials after our names on all record-keeping materials (med logs, progress notes, etc.). Didn't matter if you were a PhD or a BA or an MHT (mental health technician, with no college degree), it was mandated for tracking purposes. So I wonder if some people who use them in e-mail sigs and whatnot have at some point been in a position where listing them was mandatory.

I have an MBA too. We certainly don't have a title with that degree, but I have seen a lot of people add the MBA designation to the end of their name (i.e. Joe Smith, MBA). Its not something I would personally do, but I think the concept is similar to Doctor vs not in this thread.

The MBA after a name is more silly in my opinion. It’s only 2 years of school, and nowhere close to the intensity of med school. I got an MBA from a top 5 school and I have never seen anyone in my network from school or work use this designation at any point in their career.
Some people I’ve come across to use MBA after their name was a realtor, a bank branch manager, a loan officer, an owner of a local mom/pop shop, and a few others.

The use of professional certifications after their name on signatures and business cards are also kind of silly. I’ve seen one person’s business card with probably a dozen letters after their name.

But, this is just my opinion. If they want to do it, then great.

Oh, some of my professors had PhD in Econ/Fin/etc, but no student ever called them by doctor, rather as professor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter