Petty Zoo

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
Can anyone please tell me if the petty zoo ever opened back up? Also wondering if we don't have priority seating for Teails End, will we be allowed to park to attempt a walk in? Last time we tried, we were turned away. We will be staying at Bonnet Creek, not at a Disney Resort. Going this weekend.... TIA

I've been going to the Fort for 20+ years and I don't recall a petting zoo.

As for Trails End, if you have a reservation, they should let you in to the parking lot at the Outpost (check-in building). You would still need to take an internal bus down to the Settlement where TE is located. It is a mile from the Outpost to the Settlement. Certainly walkable, but not often done. There is no car parking in the Fort other than at your site/cabin.

During exceptionally busy/popular times, like Halloween, they have been restricting non-Fort guests without a dining or Hoop-D-Doo reservation. This weekend, I suspect if you explain you would like to try TE to the gate CM, they may let you park at the Outpost lot. TE is very popular, even with the "family style" menu they currently have (as opposed the the fabulous, pre-Covid, buffet.) It is possible they may not have spots for walk ups or it would be a very long wait. You can still try for a reservation even if you aren't staying at a WDW resort.

I just checked the app. TE has 815, 830, 845 availability for this Saturday. Sunday is only showing 830, 845.

j

The "Petting Zoo" was at the Fort before Animal Kingdom was built. They had cows, sheep, goats, etc. in the fenced barnyard area. That was a long time ago.

As indicated by my previous answer, the "Petting Zoo" left the Fort when AK opened. They also took with them the peacocks that used to roam the Fort like the turkeys and buzzards do nowadays.

All they have now are the horses in the new Tri-Circle-D Ranch horse barn and pony rides if you child meets the age/weight limits.

Bama Ed

PS - although the turkeys and buzzards still walk around like they OWN the place. :rolleyes:

PPS - make an ADR, even at the last minute, to get you assured access to the FW parking lot to eat at Trails End. Drive-ups with no reservation, as you learned can/may be turned away if the Fort/parking area is close to full. But an ADR usually gets someone in, even an off-site guest.

Last edited:
I should correct myself. I call it the petting zoo because it's over where it was but it's the horses. They use to let you walk through to see them. Do they still allow that? I know it was stopped for a while. Have they started the pony rides back up??

Yes I know they allow you to park with reservations, aka priority seating. I know you need to take the internal bus. I have been there numerous times, even stayed in the "old" cabins lol. My question was will they let us park without them? Last time Ft Wilderness would not but yet Boardwalk did (past June). We were going to try a walk in. I know there are reservations to book as of now.

Reason we are going to do walk up and not reservations is because we are actually hoping to get last minute reservations for Chef Mickey. I know sometimes the day/night before a reservation will pop up. If we book TE, then we have to cancel it and it may be too late to cancel. Gone are the days of just walking up and waiting a bit to be seated lol We live less than 3 hrs away and do not always plan out ahead. It's not a planned vacation but a weekend getaway

I should correct myself. I call it the petting zoo because it's over where it was but it's the horses. They use to let you walk through to see them. Do they still allow that? I know it was stopped for a while. Have they started the pony rides back up??

Yes I know they allow you to park with reservations, aka priority seating. I know you need to take the internal bus. I have been there numerous times, even stayed in the "old" cabins lol. My question was will they let us park without them? Last time Ft Wilderness would not but yet Boardwalk did (past June). We were going to try a walk in. I know there are reservations to book as of now.

The new TCD Ranch is generally open for viewing horses or pony rides 10am-5pm (that was when I was there for Thanksgiving 2022).

I answered your question re: parking - to repeat, "it depends". Not a great answer for you, certainly. But you could book an ADR "day of" which will get you past the guard and onto the Fort internal bus system. Or come in via the boat from MK.

If you want assurance you can drive in anytime without an ADR (even when the Fort parking lot is full) and be able to park your car and bus down to TE, I can't give you that. But living three hours away is enough time to book an ADR for TE (which is rarely full except maybe on weekends).

We're not talking trying to lock in plans 60 days out. Just a few hours even will do. But if you insist on winging it, it may work out. Or it may not. :confused3

Ed

Last edited:
The new TCD Ranch is generally open for viewing horses or pony rides 10am-5pm (that was when I was there for Thanksgiving 2022).

I answered your question re: parking - to repeat, "it depends". Not a great answer for you, certainly. But you could book an ADR "day of" which will get you past the guard and onto the Fort internal bus system. Or come in via the boat from MK.

If you want assurance you can drive in anytime without an ADR (even when the Fort parking lot is full) and be able to park your car and bus down to TE, I can't give you that. But living three hours away is enough time to book an ADR for TE (which is rarely full except maybe on weekends).

We're not talking trying to lock in plans 60 days out. Just a few hours even will do. But if you insist on winging it, it might work out. Or it may not. :confused3

Ed
Thank you for the hours, that definitely helps! Yes, you are right about booking morning of. Duh.. I did not think of that. There probably would be a time slot. I was concentrating on night before for Chef Mickey that it didn't cross my mind for day of for TE. I figured just do walk up. Thank you

We went ahead and booked TE

We're not talking trying to lock in plans 60 days out. Just a few hours even will do. But if you insist on winging it, it may work out. Or it may not. :confused3

Ed
For tomorrow morning. We ended up getting Chef Mickey for dinner tonight so it all worked out. Heading up that way now. Thanks for your help

I am sure the petting zoo was around well after AK was built. I remember running through it when we first starting coming to the fort in 2015. I thought it was around until the started the build on the new Tri Circle D ranch. I use to run through the petting zoo before jumping on the trail that went to WL.

I am sure the petting zoo was around well after AK was built. I remember running through it when we first starting coming to the fort in 2015. I thought it was around until the started the build on the new Tri Circle D ranch. I use to run through the petting zoo before jumping on the trail that went to WL.
A few years after AK opened, the animals (goats mostly) were moved from the FW petting zoo to AK. The ponies stayed at FW and were given the area that once housed the goats.

So the area that was once the petting zoo was still there, but only ponies in it.

From AllEars.net:

Minnie Moo at the Petting Zoo

Mickey Moo, a white Holstein cow with a black Mickey Mouse head silhouette shape naturally occurring on her side, was housed in Big Thunder Ranch at Disneyland’s Frontierland in 1988. Mickey Moo was a part of Mickey’s 60th birthday celebration that year but became instantly a popular attraction for guests.

The unusual marking on the side of the cow was not quite as unusual as it was originally assumed. A Midwest farmer contacted the Disney Company with photos of his own cow that had the same type of Mickey Mouse silhouette head.

Minnie Moo, the white Holstein with a similar black Mickey Mouse head silhouette, came to the Walt Disney World Resort from Edgerton, Minnesota, in 1990, living first in the Magic Kingdom.

Grandma Duck’s Petting Farm operated at Mickey’s Birthdayland/Mickey’s Starland from 1988-1996. In 1996, the area was transformed into The Barnstormer at Goofy’s Wise Acres Farm.

With this change in the area, Minnie Moo and the other animals were moved to a Petting Farm at the Tri-Circle D Ranch (near the Pony Rides) in Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. Minnie Moo died in August 2001, at the age of fifteen, a little more than the average lifespan for a cow.

The petting farm was officially closed early in 2005 with the animals relocated to Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Affection Section.

It was estimated that millions of adults and children visited Minnie Moo, petted her, talked to her and took her photo. She was prominently used in publicity material, although she was occasionally confused with Mickey Moo.

The popularity of Mickey Moo and Minnie Moo sparked a short-lived frenzy where the Disney Company was inundated with offers of various animals that had a Mickey Mouse type marking on them, from pigs and dogs to even inanimate objects like potatoes.

In January 1991, Walt Disney World purchased an Iowa pig named Mickey from Tom and Teresa Reuter of Monticello that had three linked black spots that resembled the silhouette of Mickey Mouse’s head. They also took a brother piglet with similar markings. Mickey Pig and Mickey Piglet joined Minnie Moo and have also passed away.

"Officially". I remember the Fort petting zoo (or what was left of it) in 2001. Ed

Last edited:
"Officially". I remember the Fort petting zoo (or what was left of it) in 2001. Ed
But the peacocks have been there way more recent than that though right? I've been going to FW 20 yrs and I remember them a few times early on. They would sit up on roof near the Hoop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter