• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Petsitter shock!

I paid my pet sitter $55/day in November to stay overnight for a week for my 3 dogs. Thought it was well worth it and I trusted her completely since she also works for my vet. Couldn't find anyone even in that ballpark for just day visits, so it was a great deal for me.

Why not offer the neighborhood kid a bit extra to help?

Then problem solved - go with the person that charges $27

I have an email out to the lady who sitted for me in 2009. Haven't needed one since then. There are others on CL with lower rates, but I didn't like their ads. I don't want to be worried about my pets and my home while I am gone. If it comes down to it, I will ask my pastor's son, who is home from college.

I do wish I would find someone to trade services with me that I trust. I would definitely do that! I just had someone replace the compressor in my A/C and I am babysitting for them to pay him back for his labor:cool1:.

http://www.care.com I just did a quick search for Pet Care Providers within 10 miles of Chapel Hill, NC (27599) and came up with 141 choices.

They have reviews, rates & info about each person. Many are college students.

Although the sitter you posted about seems to care, I agree with you that she is offering services that you and your pets don't seem to need. Her refusal to adapt her services to what you want means that she isn't a good fit for your family.

Hope one of these would work out.

I have an email out to the lady who sitted for me in 2009. Haven't needed one since then. There are others on CL with lower rates, but I didn't like their ads. I don't want to be worried about my pets and my home while I am gone. If it comes down to it, I will ask my pastor's son, who is home from college.

I do wish I would find someone to trade services with me that I trust. I would definitely do that! I just had someone replace the compressor in my A/C and I am babysitting for them to pay him back for his labor:cool1:.

bartering is always cool. I used to have a client who belonged to some bartering group. He owned a hotel and people would come stay there and instead of paying in cash they would pay in bartering points. He used those points for his daughters braces, computer repair, painting and so on.

I agree, those prices sound reasonable. We pay $26 a day for 30 minutes of the pet-sitter's time.

For 5 animals, I don 't think her price is outrageous. And she seemd polite in her response. I don't think I would want someone to spend only 15 minutes checking in on and taking care of 5 animals. That's only 3 minutes per animal to feed, look over to make sure they are OK, clean up after and pay some attention to.

Not only this, but she states she would not be comfortable taking care of 5 animals in 15 minutes. Sounds like you kind of are just expecting her to throw food at them and go. Not much real care there. If that is all you are looking for, and not someone to do any actual pet sitting, I'm sure you can find someone cheaper.

http://www.care.com I just did a quick search for Pet Care Providers within 10 miles of Chapel Hill, NC (27599) and came up with 141 choices.

They have reviews, rates & info about each person. Many are college students.

Although the sitter you posted about seems to care, I agree with you that she is offering services that you and your pets don't seem to need. Her refusal to adapt her services to what you want means that she isn't a good fit for your family.

Hope one of these would work out.

Don't you have to pay to be able to search on care.com? I thought it was only free to those looking for a job, not looking for those who are looking for someone.

I agree, those prices sound reasonable. We pay $26 a day for 30 minutes of the pet-sitter's time.

See, I could do $26, but $42 is more than 50% more than that.

Op remember you get what you pay for
I have always been pleased with my pet sitters, so I don't think this is always true. I think this person just offers more than me or my pets need. I also get the feeling from her ad that she is more of a dog walker for people in her neighborhood.

See, I could do $26, but $42 is more than 50% more than that.
Then litter-box train, and treadmill-train, your dogs.

That's a cat price... I should have mentioned that. Sorry.

I just starting petsitting for someone who has 4 cats and they pay me $15 per visit and I go 2X per day, so $30 per day, and they only live 4 miles from my house.

Depending on where you live some people charge more and some charge less. If you really want someone who really cares about animals and it trustworthy it will cost you more $$$.

Also be sure to check out Craig's list as you may find some petsitters on there!

Don't take it personally, Torinsmom. The sitter you contacted is obviously offering a different service than what you want. They may not want to run in and scoop the litter and throw some food down, which is all you really need. They're not the sitter you want, and you're not the client they want.

If nobody in your area wants a premium service at the prices that sitter is offering, then they'll find that out quickly. I'm betting, though, that there's a market for that sitter and they are finding enough clientele to keep them busy.

In the area I live in, it's $18 a visit no matter how many animals you have. Is her price for just one visit a day? Sounds expensive to me. The cats just get fed, watered and the litter box scooped. Depending on your animals, of course. Some cats love attention from anyone and some are afraid of strangers and hide the entire time.
Your dog is the one I would be concerned about. I would think he would need two visits a day, especially when you are away for the longer trip. Unless, of course, he is not friendly with strangers and then it would just be feeding and watering him too.
Keep trying. Ask your vet, or other local vets, if they know of anyone who does pet sitting. You may get someone more experienced and at a reasonable rate. This one is too expensive.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the price is outrageous. I'd look for other options.

Wow! She told the person what she needs (15 minutes once a day) and the person told her "no, I come two times a day, hang out in your house as long as I want, play with your blinds, water plants that you may not have, go through your mail (that you probably will have held anyway)." I have a problem with you clearly stating what you need, and her telling you no, she will do what she wants instead. Offer the neighbor kid $10.00 a day and ask the mom if she will supervise locking up.

In the area I live in, it's $18 a visit no matter how many animals you have. Is her price for just one visit a day? Sounds expensive to me. The cats just get fed, watered and the litter box scooped. Depending on your animals, of course. Some cats love attention from anyone and some are afraid of strangers and hide the entire time.
Your dog is the one I would be concerned about. I would think he would need two visits a day, especially when you are away for the longer trip. Unless, of course, he is not friendly with strangers and then it would just be feeding and watering him too.
Keep trying. Ask your vet, or other local vets, if they know of anyone who does pet sitting. You may get someone more experienced and at a reasonable rate. This one is too expensive.

Just one visit a day is what I do. I just need basic care from the pet sitter. My cats will probably be thrilled to have the A/C'd house to themselves. They sleep 80% of the time anyway, and play together the rest of the time. They own us, and will probably be glad to be ride of their responsibility:rotfl:The neighborhood girl will walk the dog, so technically, he will have 2 visits. He is an old guy(12), but healthy, and even a 15 minute walk leaves him winded. He doesn't really care much for strangers, but will do okay for a female.

I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for. Just hard to believe someone would pay an amount close to my monthly mortgage to have someone spend at most 10 hours taking care of their pets.

Looking back at her ad...

"OVERNIGHT STAY in your home ='s $50.00
customizable time upon your request: aprox 8:00pm-6:30am
Your precious pet can stay in the comforts of his or her home with me close by or to snuggle. Extra night time walk, teeth, relaxing massage, grooming, bed time prayers, along with services included above."

So, for $75 more, she would stay in my home with the pets all 10 nights?:confused3 I don't quite get that. So 100 hours is only $500, but 10 hours(or less) is $425.

Also looking back, this is under her vacation rate...

VACATION daily rate =CUSTOMIZABLE for LONGER or ADDITIONAL visits per day.
BASE RATE='s $30.00 up to 2 pets. $3.00 each add pet.
2/15 min PAW-ty breaks & 2/30 min PAW-ty breaks
FREE- TEETH CLEANING, with your supplies.
Indoor plants, blinds,lights,garbage,mail included. (outdoor watering $3.00 if needed.)

That sounds like 4 visits, which she didn't mention in her email to me. Her response sounded like one longer visit to me. $42 is not bad for 4 different visits, but my pets definitely don't need that.

Of course it's nice if family or friends can watch your pets while you are away. When that's not possible you are shocked at how much a kennel or petsitter charge. :scared1: Myself, I don't want someone else in my home whle I'm gone so I kennel. I have paid anywhere from $15 per day, per dog (I have 2), to $39, per day, per dog. I would think you would have to pay more for a petsitter just because of the convenience involved. I don' think she is unreasonable at all.

TC :cool1:

Looking back at her ad...

"OVERNIGHT STAY in your home ='s $50.00
customizable time upon your request: aprox 8:00pm-6:30am
Your precious pet can stay in the comforts of his or her home with me close by or to snuggle. Extra night time walk, teeth, relaxing massage, grooming, bed time prayers, along with services included above."

So, for $75 more, she would stay in my home with the pets all 10 nights?:confused3 I don't quite get that. So 100 hours is only $500, but 10 hours(or less) is $425.

Also looking back, this is under her vacation rate...

VACATION daily rate =CUSTOMIZABLE for LONGER or ADDITIONAL visits per day.
BASE RATE='s $30.00 up to 2 pets. $3.00 each add pet.
2/15 min PAW-ty breaks & 2/30 min PAW-ty breaks
FREE- TEETH CLEANING, with your supplies.
Indoor plants, blinds,lights,garbage,mail included. (outdoor watering $3.00 if needed.)

That sounds like 4 visits, which she didn't mention in her email to me. Her response sounded like one longer visit to me. $42 is not bad for 4 different visits, but my pets definitely don't need that.

I completely understand that her service isn't what you're looking for, but I'm at a loss as to why she should be criticized for what she offers and how she chooses to price it. A Ritz-Carlton costs more than a Motel 6, but both give you a room for a night. If you don't want to pay for the Ritz, don't pay, but I can't see how complaining about how expensive they are accomplishes anything.

I pet sit and charge $45 a day for dogs I visit, 4 visits per day, because I feel that dogs should be out at least that often in a day. We (my girls love to help) walk, feed and play with them. For 5 animals, where are you going to kennel them for that? They want at least $25 a day PER animal, and they aren't in their own home and can come home with injuries and diseases like kennel cough.

Sorry, she's being extremely reasonable. You may have just shot yourself in the foot and be stuck paying more.

Good luck finding someone.:goodvibes Remember, you ARE trusting someone in your house as well as with your animals.

PS: $45 is my starting point for one dog, I had one family that had 4 dogs and 4 cats and I used that same price. I felt that since they had opened their hearts to so many pets, I could give them the base price. I usually only charge the $45 anyway. I'll have to think about a $3 extra charge per pet for more than 3 pets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter