Pets at Portafino...........????????

I am back, I stayed at a hotel with pets but they were on the outside, Animal Kingdom Lodge and loved it. it was refreshing knowing that a dog or cat was not climbing on the bed or having any accidents in the room, I was so happy I cancelled PBH and stayed at AKL.:)

Got back today from HRH. There was a dog on our floor - actually, now that I think about it there were a few. We were on the Club Level. The hotel asked that the dogs not be brought into the lounge when there was food, but otherwise they had free run (on a leash of course...).

Overheard the concierge telling one pet owner that they can arrange a service where someone comes and walks your dog and plays with it while you are out at the park. Half hour increments.

Hmmm...

Pet owners taking thier pets off the "pet floors" is something I dont understand. I feel its inconsiderate and rude. Its just my opinion but why take your pets only to leave them in a room? I know many people love their pets like others love thier children but please. I mean if the hotel clearly says pets on the first two floors, is it really so hard to do so? You know the rules going in, the least pet owners could do is respect other guests and follow them. As far as I am concerned its just like someone smoking in a nonsmoking room or lighting up in a non smoking part of a resturant. As for any accidents pets may have..... owning our own carpet business we know for a fact, you can clean but not completely get rid of the urine, as it soaks into the padding and becomes nearly impossiable to bring up. SO it may look clean and may smell clean (for awhile at least as the odors do come back and they must keep refreshing ) but the "stuff" still remains under the carpet and can make its way back to the surface fibers. I am not saying people shouldnt bring their pets if thats what they wish to do, I am just stating that if they do so follow the hotel requests and keep them on the first 2 floors, Please. Sorry just needed to vent

"Usually pets are kept on the first two floors" obviously isn't what's happening at Universal Resorts, it's really sad. Animals on the Club level? I'm slowly losing interest in staying at the Royal Pacific Resort this summer, and we were so excited :(

RobinLyn

I'm sorry if my post was confusing. The people who had their dogs on the Club level were staying on the Club level. You can only get onto that floor if you are staying there. The animals were not "snuck" onto the floor; they were resident there. Probably when they say that pets are only on the first two floors, they mean for regular rooms, not Club level.

A further note, for the 3 or 4 dogs I think were at the HRH, I think I saw them for a GRAND TOTAL of 3 or 4 minutes in the 5 days we were there. I never heard a sound from any of them.

I also deliberately didn't say anything about this in my last post, but I don't get the reaction to pets in the hotel. If they can give you a room on the floors where no pets are allowed, then I don't see this as any different than living in an apartment building where your downstairs neighbors have pets. I'm fairly certain there are thousands of highly allergic people who have to live in apartment buildings, and live to tell about it.

Just trying to add a little perspective.

Elaine

It just amazes me that the Loews Hotels will spend millions of dollars on these 'amazing resort' and then open the rooms up to dog(s) to basically 'soil' them! An above post stated, yes you can shampoo the carpet, etc. but that just camouflages the area for awhile.
I would love to stay at one of the 3 on property @ Universal but I just can't take that chance! Loews needs to watch carefully which rooms were occupied with a pet before the next guest occupies that same room with a high allergy or there could be some sorry consequences!

Originally posted by DisneyDazed
Pet owners taking thier pets off the "pet floors" is something I dont understand. I feel its inconsiderate and rude. Its just my opinion but why take your pets only to leave them in a room? I know many people love their pets like others love thier children but please. I mean if the hotel clearly says pets on the first two floors, is it really so hard to do so? You know the rules going in, the least pet owners could do is respect other guests and follow them.

When I said taking pets off first two floors I meant people asking for rooms on other floors other than the pet floors. Sorry for the confusion. Everytime I call they clearly say no pets on club level. What I was trying to say is... if pet owners know going in, that the first two floors are the only ones where you are allowed pets...then why ask for or get a room on another floor. I would feel better knowing that when they say a non pet floor...that it truely has been free of animals. Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy animals and it wouldnt phase me if I saw them there....IF they were on the pet floors.

I was hoping that it was true that pets were kept in a certain area or floor. We have ressie's at RPR, Club level and now it seems people with pets are allowed to room on any floor at Loews Resorts.

RobinLyn:confused:

I have ressies for RPH Club Level & a husband who is highly alergic to cats & a son who is somewhat alergic......I know the rooms are new....but I sure hope we don't have one that a cat just checked out of or we will be checking out real fast....with a REFUND! I have 2 dogs so it isn't that I am not an animal lover. I wouldn't take my dogs to a hotel knowing that someone may be alergic checking into the room after me.....

I am so glad I didn't stay at a Universal hotel, Imagine they are also aloud on club level, I just dont undertsand why loews managment feels this way. I was ectited af first but front of the line staying at portofino but I am glad I didn't. I waited in lines but waited happily nowing I will go back to my room at Animal Kingdom lodge and the pets are on the outside, no dander in my room.

Just as an FYI- Disney does allow eye-seeing dogs in their hotels and restaurants, so you may not want to stay at the disney resorts and risk being exposed.

manhattan, That tone of sarcasim was not called for. A seeing eye dog is for people who can not see, that is different then a pet. I am offended by that comment, I am disabled and I wouldn't want to thing that a comment is thrown that way towards me. manhattan, maybe you should go back and read all the posts, this was not dierected towards people that can't see, it was directed towards just pets. Please, you really got my blood boiling, my comment was not directed towards the disabled

Gail T, I don't think Manhattan was being sarcastic. You stated in a previous post about not having to worry about pet dander at WDW resorts. Manhattan was simply calling your attention to WDW allowing guide dogs in their rooms also. Just because they are working animals and not pets doesn't mean they have no dander!. So you saying that you are not bothered by guide dog dander? Only pet dog dander bothers you? Again, I have reread Manhattans post and it in no way comes across as being sarcastic. Merely informative for those that are bothered by dog dander, pet or otherwise.

Thank you skiwee1. When I read the reply, I just bit my tongue. I did not mean it as being sarcastic, but more of did you know kind of deal. After I started reading this thread I thought about all the places you would never think a dog would be, but there is always an exception to the rules, and a dog may have been there. I guess perhaps I should have stated that there is no way to ever guarantee that a pet is not there or been there.

Seeing eye dogs are justthat seeing eye dogs and it they leave the hotel the dogs leave, they are in the room all day while their owners are out.

Gail T, yes the guidedogs do leave the room when the people do. They also sleep in the room when the people do. My point is that you are worried about dog dander. Guide dogs still spread dander around the room even if they are only in it for 12 hours as opposed to 24 hours. One good shake or scratch and there are dander particles floating all over the place. For someone that is disgusted by dog dander then it shouldn't matter why the dander is there. It still is. If someone is allergic to dogs then knowing guide dogs are also permitted is helpful too. I'm sure that people that are allergic to pet dog dander is allergic to guide dog dander too. LOL!:)

tO be honest what really bothers me is that a cat and a dog that is in the room all day can mess the carpet by releiving themselves, that bothes me big time even if they wash the carpet after and what is the likelyhood they wash it after each pet. Oh well, with all said and done my vacation is over and I opted to stay in Disney for the whole visit:)

I understand your concern. I would not want to stay in a room either that a dog or cat has had free rein in all day. I just thought you couldn't handle the dander. Personally, WDW is my favorite and stay onsite 2-3 times a year. We are tacking on a 5 day trip to US/IOA on the next trip and I'm hoping there will be no problems at the HRH!:D

Originally posted by Gail T AGAIN
tO be honest what really bothers me is that a cat and a dog that is in the room all day can mess the carpet by releiving themselves, that bothes me big time even if they wash the carpet after and what is the likelyhood they wash it after each pet. Oh well, with all said and done my vacation is over and I opted to stay in Disney for the whole visit:)

Wel, I can vouch for anyone allergic to pets. No one hates the fact they they might have done thier duty on the floor more then me! After countless stays at Universal resorts none of this has EVER been a problem. I will take luxury & no wait lines over worrying about a pet being in my room any day.
I talked to the manager of RP (Scott) about this & he swears they are kept in separate rooms then guests w/o pets. Keep in mind that 8/10 hotel chains allow pets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter