Petitioning The Walt Disney Co. To Keep the Osborne Lights!!!

It will probably be almost impossible to keep right now with all the construction that will be starting next year. Maybe when the park is done it can make a return but in reality I don't see how they keep it right now.

Yeah, because there is NO place else on that piece of property they could do anything special for Christmas! (Seriously they could move this if they wanted to) That said the campaign will achieve the results the other campaigns to save things have... NOTHING! But you get lots of generic "thank you for your comments"

Yeah, because there is NO place else on that piece of property they could do anything special for Christmas! (Seriously they could move this if they wanted to) That said the campaign will achieve the results the other campaigns to save things have... NOTHING! But you get lots of generic "thank you for your comments"

Writing won't do any good at this point. If WDW really wanted to keep the lights going and move them to new location, they would have. Osborne family said as much already - WDW has sent them invoices of all the lights they are sending back to them. Sad, but I will trade 2 months of lights for 12 months of Star Wars and Toy Story Lands.

Any before everyone replies "But why can't they do both???" - my answer is because they don't want to. :confused3 In a straight up trade though, I'll take Star Wars every time. :darth::chewy:

Yeah, Disney has tons of big spaces full of fake house fronts all over the parks. :rolleyes:

I loved the lights, and am very glad I got to see them twice. I am sad to see the go. But I agree with Dr Gevil, I will take a year of Star Wars and Toy Story over 2 months of Christmas lights.

Things change. If we had it all forever, how special would it be?

I've never seen them before, but I am lucky enough to be going this year. I will enjoy them that much more knowing they won't be there when I return in several years. On the flip side of that coin, new things will be there. So those lights will always be a key memory of this trip.

It is disappointing that they are going, but if everything stayed the same, how would we ever get anything new?

It is disappointing that they are going, but if everything stayed the same, how would we ever get anything new?

My thoughts exactly. While not a huge fan of the Osbourne Lights, I have seen them in the two locations where they were. But, let's see what else happens after this.

I was disappointed by the Lights of Winter leaving Epcot but, that gave me more time to see all the storytellers.

I found that if you focus in on what's gone, you can't think about what's coming or, more importantly, what is there now to enjoy. Or, to remember. My favorite attraction, Cranium Command, has been gone from the Studios for years. So how to I remember it? I named by fantasy football team the Cracked Cranium Commanders. My avatar is Buzzy so I get plenty of reminders of him.

If it makes you feel better go ahead but I really don't see this decision getting reversed. The lights served their purpose but with all the construction I don't see NY street surviving and the lights just don't really work well anywhere else. They would cause a traffic nightmare at World Showcase and aren't going to slow down the shopping foot traffic at DTD/Disney Springs (the two areas people keep mentioning).

I don't really follow the logic of "it wouldn't matter" if a million people say they want it, it seems worth an investment to find a place for it.

Not really. A million people wanting something doesn't mean much. If a million less people traveled to Disney next year during the Christmas season for the sole reason that the lights were gone, maybe.

But hey, if you think it will make a difference feel free. No one is saying don't, I just think it is a waste of effort.

I do wonder though if Disney might see a spike in attendance due to their going away. For instance, in my tons of trips I've never seen them. When my boyfriend found out that I never had and this was their last year...well, we booked a last-minute trip this afternoon for mid-December to see them (among other Christmas events we haven't done there yet). I'm sure due to the overall high attendance numbers at that time of year it would be REALLY difficult to pinpoint anything really to this attraction, but I'm just curious.

Sadly, I don't think tons of people writing would change things but I can definitely see writing to them just to express your sadness. Heck, even my beloved Golden Girls facade wasn't saved from the bulldozer of doom!

I'm pretty sure if this was something they could keep they would. Another thing may be that the license agreement with the Osbourne family is up and they weren't able to renew it. I really don't think a petition is going to do anything other than make fans look like crazy people that scare them and make them fear for their safety.

I think the time has come. They've been there for 20 years. While I'm happy we will see them one last time, I'm very excited to see all the changes coming to DHS! That park needs a rehaul and it's getting one! It's always sad to say goodbye. I was really sad when Maelstrom closed and still get pangs of sadness when I walk through Norway, but I think what is coming will be spectacular. Of course, have your voice heard, but I think Disney has made it pretty clear this year that they are investing in new things and Osbourne Lights has run its course.

I understand that the lights are sentimental and important to many people but, despite any petitions, Disney has made their decision. This reminds me a little of the Maelstrom situation - thousands of people signed petitions, wrote, etc. but it didn't matter. :sad1:

Disney's mind is made up, and they have never reversed a decision based on a petition, AFAIK. Streets of America is disappearing to make room for Star Wars land. There is no comparable spot for it to go. SOA worked because it served no purpose the rest of the year, and had very low traffic. So erecting and taking down the lights was quite easy. And since it wasn't a thoroughfare, the massive crowds at night did not inhibit traffic to other attractions, restaurants and shops.

There is no other street in WDW with similar facades AND NEXT TO NO FOOT TRAFFIC. Putting it anywhere else would result in a nightmare of congestion.

Sign as many petitions and write as many letters as you want, but your resistance is futile.

Last edited:
I'm not too enthused with Star Wars.... I doubt I would go to DHS.... or whatever they will call it... just for that, but many probably will. The lights have been a tradition in our family for their entire run... Remember tradition.... Something Disney feeds on. I do feel that over the years they have cheapened the Christmas season, with Lights of Winter, many fewer perks for MVMCP, the Santa hat on the Ear-ful tower, and way-back in time the Jolly Holidays dinner show. Won't mention the garland on Main St (oops, sorry). And even last year they did not put up the Mickey wreath at the Contemporary.

Mac_tlc

So why go to WDW during the holidays then? Sure you have a few storytellers and a nice parade at MK but otherwise?

I never understand why people don't ever seem to want it all. I realize that getting it all is unlikely but why not shoot for everything?

So why go to WDW during the holidays then? Sure you have a few storytellers and a nice parade at MK but otherwise?

I never understand why people don't ever seem to want it all. I realize that getting it all is unlikely but why not shoot for everything?

I love the decorations at the hotels and the parks. I'll miss the Osborne Lights but it will not stop me from going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter