Pete's rant on today's live video podcast

dkrauss

Goofy Fan from Jersey
Outstanding!!!! Nothing you said Pete was incorrect or too harsh! Bravo!

Doug :goofy:

As a person who has needed an ECV to go to both WDW and DLR, thank you, Pete. I have never been looked down on or harassed because of it, but I recognize the possibility. And it doesn't make things EASIER. The ECV makes it so I can enjoy my trips due to my medical issues. There are jacka$$'s all over the world, but you said what needed to be said.

Kim

BRAVO! APPLAUSE!

I cannot believe that anyone had the GALL to say that to a mother of a child on the autism spectrum. My daughter has cognitive disabilities and let me tell you, it is no picnic. She is an awesome kid who loves Disney and we are lucky enough that her issues are not severe and we've never needed a GAC or DAS card. But someone who looks at an autistic child and says such a harsh thing to his mother - seriously, I'm stunned that someone could be that harsh.

Pete, you were not harsh at all. It needed to be said. THANK YOU for saying it.

Thank you, Pete, for saying this from a very high soapbox. Many of us feel this but don't have the forum to do so

I've been a member of the Dis for some time now, but, this was the first time I learned of the Podcast... I only came on today because I was wondering who won the photo contest which I entered. I heard your rant and wanted to share something. I have been to WDW many times because it is a healing place for my youngest and medically fragile child. She also had a Make a Wish trip on the Dream last year and we are scrapping pennies and going on the Fantasy this year (was her original wish but MAW only does 4 night trips in our region). Anyway, A few years back when we used the GAC card we were in line for Toy Story Mania (when it was fairly new). We Used our GAC and during the process actually had a person say how lucky we were to get a GAC and that they wish they had one too. My Son , about 13 years old at the time was so upset.. my daughter 14 was too.. My medically fragile child didn't understand .. but I looked at this person and said.. Well, How bout we trade my daughters inoperable brain tumor, intractable epilepsy, Chemotherapy treatement, developmental delays, open brain surgeries and numerous other issues with you so you can get a GAC and I can have a healthy child who can wait in line w/out having a seizure or other medical issue and who could stand w.out her wheelchair... You see, My kid can only handle the park for a short period of time before having a seizure or other medical issue that requires us as a family to leave the park and retreat for rest. The GAC gives us the ability to do as much as we can before this happens and also gives us the help we need to allow our daughter to have a safe and comfortable visit with her needs.. I remember wanting to cry while confronting this guest.

I had the rare opportunity to go to WDW this past Feb. and used the new DAS system which worked well for us. While in line waiting for Pooh Bear I was confronted by someone wanting me to sign a petition about restoring the GAC... I am so upset over this whole thing that I think WDW is going to be out for us for a very long time.. unless of course had I won the Photo Contest then we would have gone :)

I fully and respectfully understand everyone's issues - and with the way the lines where when we were there can appreciate even typically abled guests loosing a marble or two... It just makes me so sad to think that anyone would think that being disabled is a perk.. Life is so hard for us on a daily basis , when we choose our vacations as a family we do so with our medically fragile DD in mind and how we can all spend quality time together. Disney usually fits that bill - but I am finding it more and more difficult to afford it .. but when we can , I hope that people listen to rants such as this .. Thanks for the rant.. and looking forward to listening to furture podcasts...

Nicole

Thanks to Pete for the perfect rant. I wouldn't have changed one word. I have had physical challenges all my life. I would prefer to walk and not use a wheelchair. I don't always get that option. I find that when I use a cane that Disney CM's treat me differently. I think they assume that I can walk and stand without a problem. The fact is, sometimes pride and desire to walk overrides sense and I need more consideration than when I'm in a wheelchair. I like the challenge of walking but I have a hard time standing for long periods. Even if I use the fast pass line I still have to stand awhile after I proceed through the check in point. I almost feel forced to ride in the chair. To those that don't understand, fully, what it's like, it's easy to assume and be cynical when you see others doing something different than what you're doing. I would never wish something on someone to hurt them, but sometimes even a broken ankle would help some people be less myopic.

I think the rant was perfect. We will be traveling with an ECV and a child with Autism. We will not use the DAS card, but my grandson will. I remember a few years ago that I said I use a ECV only in Epcot. I got hammered for that one. I would trade places with anyone that wants the DAS card. You can have it, if my grandson can hand over his Autism with it.

I've been a member of the Dis for some time now, but, this was the first time I learned of the Podcast... I only came on today because I was wondering who won the photo contest which I entered. I heard your rant and wanted to share something. I have been to WDW many times because it is a healing place for my youngest and medically fragile child. She also had a Make a Wish trip on the Dream last year and we are scrapping pennies and going on the Fantasy this year (was her original wish but MAW only does 4 night trips in our region). Anyway, A few years back when we used the GAC card we were in line for Toy Story Mania (when it was fairly new). We Used our GAC and during the process actually had a person say how lucky we were to get a GAC and that they wish they had one too. My Son , about 13 years old at the time was so upset.. my daughter 14 was too.. My medically fragile child didn't understand .. but I looked at this person and said.. Well, How bout we trade my daughters inoperable brain tumor, intractable epilepsy, Chemotherapy treatement, developmental delays, open brain surgeries and numerous other issues with you so you can get a GAC and I can have a healthy child who can wait in line w/out having a seizure or other medical issue and who could stand w.out her wheelchair... You see, My kid can only handle the park for a short period of time before having a seizure or other medical issue that requires us as a family to leave the park and retreat for rest. The GAC gives us the ability to do as much as we can before this happens and also gives us the help we need to allow our daughter to have a safe and comfortable visit with her needs.. I remember wanting to cry while confronting this guest.

I had the rare opportunity to go to WDW this past Feb. and used the new DAS system which worked well for us. While in line waiting for Pooh Bear I was confronted by someone wanting me to sign a petition about restoring the GAC... I am so upset over this whole thing that I think WDW is going to be out for us for a very long time.. unless of course had I won the Photo Contest then we would have gone :)

I fully and respectfully understand everyone's issues - and with the way the lines where when we were there can appreciate even typically abled guests loosing a marble or two... It just makes me so sad to think that anyone would think that being disabled is a perk.. Life is so hard for us on a daily basis , when we choose our vacations as a family we do so with our medically fragile DD in mind and how we can all spend quality time together. Disney usually fits that bill - but I am finding it more and more difficult to afford it .. but when we can , I hope that people listen to rants such as this .. Thanks for the rant.. and looking forward to listening to furture podcasts...

Nicole

I wasn't there, so I don't know exactly what that person meant, but I know I feel lucky to have had the ability to use a GAC for my father. Without that card, my father wouldn't have been able to experience much of anything, but the card gave him access that isn't available in so many other places. I hope that's what the person meant - that you are lucky that Disney is so good about making the parks accessible, going above and beyond what's required to make sure the differently-abled among us can have a good time at Disney. Even if that's not what she meant, if you try to think of it that way, maybe you'll feel better about the experience.

I want to say a big Thank You to Pete too. I've had to use an ECV on our last 5 trips due to severe arthritis in both knees. I can only walk or stand for a few minutes before I'm in severe pain and reduced to tears. I've never had a problem with someone actually confronting me until this past November when a family passed in front of me and the mother made some snide comment about "lazy people". I don't know for sure if she was talking about me but I assume she was since I think she thought I was in her way. I guarantee that I would love to be able to stand in line with everyone else but I've not taken a single step in over 11 years that hasn't caused pain. I would love to not have to spend the extra money on an ECV. It's not just a "lazy" person's way out. I use one because I need one and the first few times I had to use one was extremely humiliating for me. And I'm so lucky compared to hundreds of thousands of people out there who have it so much worse than I do. Thanks for saying what you did, Pete. :thumbsup2

When we visit WDW it is me my DH, my DS (13), my DD (10). DH needs to use a scooter in able to make it through a day at the parks. He had back surgery a few years ago, that hasnt done much to help any pain. He cant stand for long periods of time without extreme pain. Also if he gets accidentally bumped into it sends him into extreme spasms. He is also in need of neck surgery but with the results of the back surgery is putting off the neck for as long as possible. DH is 35 years old and has been dealing with this since he was 25. It was a car accident where he was rear ended. His life changed significantly. One of the things that bothered him the most was that he couldnt wrestle around with our kids, play sports in the backyard with them etc. At disney he feels like its one of the only places where he has the ability to take the kids on a ride (a tame smooth one). Long story short.....
We have not experienced anybody saying anything to us at the parks, However we do get the stares, and hear the mumbles under peoples breaths. We find it the worst at the buses. People are so rude and nasty that the scooters get onto the buses first. DH kindly reminds them that yes we get on first but we last to get off the bus. I have seen the comments about the buses on alot of threads here on the dis as well. People feel it unfair that they may have been waiting in line first, and if a scooter rolls up they get on the bus before the people that have been waiting. DH would give anything to be able to go unnoticed and be able to wait in the regular line, but he cant because thats not disneys policy.
Thank you Pete!!!! For saying things that i have always wanted to say, but dont have the correct forum to get that word out. You had me in tears! The world can be so cruel, I wish that at disney it was the one place where all people had compassion, empathy and understanding. Thank you again!!!

images

Very well said, Pete!

I agree with Pete to an extent that it is out of line for someone to say that they wished they had a kid with autism so they could get front of the line. That said, I can certainly understand the frustration. Also, I think Pete is way out of line saying that unless you have a disability you have no say. When someone's demands for accommodations adversely impacts other guests then they do indeed have a right to voice their opinion.

Prior to the DAS, the disabled community's mantra was "GAC is not front of the line pass". Now there is outrage that DAS is not front of the line like GAC. Am I missing something?

The comment in question may have been in response to abuse of the DAS. Autism is a spectrum. Apparently neuro-typical kids may still be considered autistic. After waiting in an extremely long standby line made longer by everyone using FP+, it is understandable that someone would be very frustrated seeing what appears to be a normal kid and 14 family members saunter to the front of the line using a DAS (and FP+). Heck, there are even parents on this very board demanding DAS for the "ADHD" kids. Guess what? We all get antsy waiting in long lines. If your kid acts up, correct them. I think the disabled community would do well to remember that the accommodations they are demanding are adversely impacting the other guests. A study was posted here that 25% of guests were using GAS at DL. Crazy. You are being given charity with the DAS, say thank you and try to work within the system that is already benefiting you.

Now, before Pete or anybody gets all worked up. I am considered 100% disabled so by Pete's definition I am "allowed" to have an opinion.

Depending on the day I use a walker, cane, or just a bad limp. I was badly wounded by a mortar strike and have only been walking "normally" again for a couple of years. While prostehtics have come a long way, I have good and bad days. Because of that injury, I have a hard time dealing with crowds. Although my PTSD/crowd issue would most likely entitle me to a DAS, I will not use one. When the parks get to be too much, I go to my hotel to rest. It would never occur to me to DEMAND preferential treatment. I would be mortified to put someone else out because of my problems. The few times when I had no choice to accept assistance, guess what, I was grateful for the special treatment. Personal responsibilty, self relience, and accountability are watchwords for me and my family. We all need a hand from time to time, but again, atitude is everythng.

It is all about the attitude. Acknowledging that you are being given a benefit and expressing gratitude instead of entitlement would certainly help. If less people with marginal or exaggerated issues would demand front of the line treatment, those who truly need the accommodation (cases like Skip) will have less issues and much greater acceptance. Life is tough for someone with disabilities, get tough and adapt to your world. Don't make the world adapt to you.

I agree with Pete to an extent that it is out of line for someone to say that they wished they had a kid with autism so they could get front of the line. That said, I can certainly understand the frustration. Also, I think Pete is way out of line saying that unless you have a disability you have no say. When someone's demands for accommodations adversely impacts other guests then they do indeed have a right to voice their opinion.

Prior to the DAS, the disabled community's mantra was "GAC is not front of the line pass". Now there is outrage that DAS is not front of the line like GAC. Am I missing something?

The comment in question may have been in response to abuse of the DAS. Autism is a spectrum. Apparently neuro-typical kids may still be considered autistic. After waiting in an extremely long standby line made longer by everyone using FP+, it is understandable that someone would be very frustrated seeing what appears to be a normal kid and 14 family members saunter to the front of the line using a DAS (and FP+). Heck, there are even parents on this very board demanding DAS for the "ADHD" kids. Guess what? We all get antsy waiting in long lines. If your kid acts up, correct them. I think the disabled community would do well to remember that the accommodations they are demanding are adversely impacting the other guests. A study was posted here that 25% of guests were using GAS at DL. Crazy. You are being given charity with the DAS, say thank you and try to work within the system that is already benefiting you.

Now, before Pete or anybody gets all worked up. I am considered 100% disabled so by Pete's definition I am "allowed" to have an opinion.

Depending on the day I use a walker, cane, or just a bad limp. I was badly wounded by a mortar strike and have only been walking "normally" again for a couple of years. While prostehtics have come a long way, I have good and bad days. Because of that injury, I have a hard time dealing with crowds. Although my PTSD/crowd issue would most likely entitle me to a DAS, I will not use one. When the parks get to be too much, I go to my hotel to rest. It would never occur to me to DEMAND preferential treatment. I would be mortified to put someone else out because of my problems. The few times when I had no choice to accept assistance, guess what, I was grateful for the special treatment. Personal responsibilty, self relience, and accountability are watchwords for me and my family. We all need a hand from time to time, but again, atitude is everythng.

It is all about the attitude. Acknowledging that you are being given a benefit and expressing gratitude instead of entitlement would certainly help. If less people with marginal or exaggerated issues would demand front of the line treatment, those who truly need the accommodation (cases like Skip) will have less issues and much greater acceptance. Life is tough for someone with disabilities, get tough and adapt to your world. Don't make the world adapt to you.

With the old system it was not a for sure front of the line pass, for wheelchairs it is most of the time the only accessible place to enter an attraction.
If a child or an adult that disney has deemed GAC worthy gets onto an attraction before i do, good for them. So what if i have to wait an extra couple of minutes in line. That family is enjoying disney the way that they should just like everyone else they just need modifications so that they can experience the world the same as we do. It is not my position or desire to determine if a person is right for a GAC. I work with people who have both physical and developmental disabilities. That does not mean i am the right person to pass judgement. Just as it does not mean you are the right person to pass judgement because you are 100% disabled.
To tell someone that they need to adapt because it is what you were able to do is a poor attitude to have towards others. Good for you that you are able to do so but not everyone is and showing understanding for that goes along way. Empathy is a value that would help in this situation. Maybe compassion as well.
You enjoy WDW the way that you chose, and allow others to enjoy it the way they need .

To tell someone that they need to adapt because it is what you were able to do is a poor attitude to have towards others. Good for you that you are able to do so but not everyone is and showing understanding for that goes along way. Empathy is a value that would help in this situation. Maybe compassion as well. You enjoy WDW the way that you chose, and allow others to enjoy it the way they need .

Very well said. Thank you.

So autism is a marginal or exaggerated issue? I have no words for that. It just illustrates how little understanding you have of the disorder.

And ftr, no, I am not autistic nor has my child been diagnosed with autism. I have, however, taught autistic children and also have friends with autistic children. As Pete said in his rant, they are wonderful children and are a gift. Their condition, though, is hardly marginal or exaggerated.

Great rant, Pete.

No matter what Disney does, it won't work for everyone. And some people will find a way to abuse the system. But they are trying to do something...

Not all disabilities are visible or apparent. It's obvious that DS is differently-abled. Me -unless you're paying attention, or I have my cane with me- not so much.

Apparently Disney isn't the only place that people feel the need to attack others with comments on how they shouldn't be able to be in that place. I just read an article from the Harrisburg Patriot News about Hershey's Chocolate World not letting a family bring in a stoller for their 2-yr old special needs child. the article is about sending a letter to a Senator, but people are taking it a completely different leve.

Chocolate World doesn't let stollers in the building, but they said that they were going to retrain their employees about if someone that needs a stoller for a special needs child, they will be allowed to have it in there.

Here is the article: Autistic Girls Challenge at Chocolate World

WOw. The comments on that story make me so mad and sad all at the same time. I want to respond to many of them, but sadly I know it won't matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter