Peter Pan's Flight Access

DanielleStar

Earning My Ears
I recently watched a vlog where a person using it wheelchair was able to have the ride stop for Peter Pan's Flight. I would really like to ride it however due to my balance issues I won’t be able to unless the ride/walkway is stopped. Can it be done or did the person in the vlog get lucky? I was thinking about doing early morning magic event and hopefully riding this first to have a better chance with way less people. Thoughts?

I have been told that it can not be stopped but I would ask the CM at the ride maybe something has changed recently and the ride now can be stopped.

It is also told, that the People Mover can't be stopped.

I myself have experienced that that's not always correct.
We were riding people mover, when it suddenly stopped. We assumed, okay technical problems, now we will be evacuated.
But then it began moving again and we get off when reaching unloading area.
Coming down the walkway, we noticed other stops and saw a group of disabled persons (adults), each one assisted by two helpers, holding them up, coming up the moving walkway. The helpers wore t-shirts mentioning the word charity on it.
Obviously the people mover was stopped for them to load/unload.

If stopping the People Mover is possible, maybe it ist possible at Peter Pan too.

I recently watched a vlog where a person using it wheelchair was able to have the ride stop for Peter Pan's Flight. I would really like to ride it however due to my balance issues I won’t be able to unless the ride/walkway is stopped. Can it be done or did the person in the vlog get lucky? I was thinking about doing early morning magic event and hopefully riding this first to have a better chance with way less people. Thoughts?
I believe you saw a vlog of Peter Pan’s Flight from Disneyland. It does come to a stop for loading and unloading at Disneyland and has a transfer seat with a door that opens wider.

Peter Pan’s Flight at MK at WDW has a moving walkway which does not stop. There is also a relatively short space for loading. This video by Pammie Plus Parks shows the ride vehicle, the moving walkway and loading. She specifically addresses the moving walkway at the end of the video, confirming it can’t be stopped or slowed.

If you think you will have difficulty with the moving walkway, a CM may be able to give you a steadying hand if you ask.

I have been told that guests who need the walkway stopped may be able to arrange to ride the first or last ‘flight’ of the day. Someone who rode it last ride wrote me that the CMs made sure everyone else was off the ride, then the moving walkway was stopped to let the family on. The pirate ships they were on were the only ones loaded. When the ride was over, the moving walkway was stopped again to let them get off.

This was the vlog I watched. Part 23:55 specifically.
I follow her on Facebook and have seen her vlog, but did not see this video before.
It surprises me greatly that they would stop the moving walkway. It is listed as ‘Must be Ambulatory’ on park maps and My Disney Experience.
My daughter has cerebral palsy and we would have to park her wheelchair and lift/carry her on. She‘s much smaller to lift than this woman.
Every time we have asked if the walkway can be stopped so we can carry her on, we’ve been told that it isn’t possible. We have been offered last ride of the day, but never took them up on it because it was too late for us to stay.

Pammie Plus Parks normally asks CMs information about attractions and her video was 9 or 10 months ago.

It doesn’t hurt to ask, but I’d be very surprised if they said yes.

We were riding people mover, when it suddenly stopped. We assumed, okay technical problems, now we will be evacuated.
Coming down the walkway, we noticed other stops and saw a group of disabled persons (adults), each one assisted by two helpers, holding them up, coming up the moving walkway. The helpers wore t-shirts mentioning the word charity on it.

If stopping the People Mover is possible, maybe it ist possible at Peter Pan too.

Oh, that’s what that was. I always assumed it was someone standing up because I’ve heard it has ab autostop if someone stands up and the cast member has to manually start it up again. Never seen it stopped before, but now I’ll have to pay more attention.

I didn’t ride last time (decided to keep moving) but back in January I asked about it and they said they can stop it. What I actually asked them is ‘Can it be slowed’ since I know HMs belt can be slowed. I was told no it can’t be slowed but it can be stopped.

I can verify the PeopleMover one though. I accidentally spilled a drink and they stopped the belt so we could switch cars without having us rush around.

I remember the lack of stopping always struck me as odd since it seemed to be the belt system as Haunted Mansion & Ariels which I knew could be slowed or in the case of DL.

When they stop the belt at Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion and others it stops every car throughout the attraction.
For a ride as short as Pan it ruins the experience for others riding.
This is why the ask wheelchair riders to ride at the end of the night

If it was in October, it was probably a group from Dreamflight. That is a Wish group that brings an airplane full of kids and teens with disabilities to Orlando each year in October. They do make special allowances for them. If it wasn’t Dreamflight, it was probably a similar group.

Peoplemover has 3 things that move and it is listed a ‘must be ambulatory’ attraction.
The first is the steep moving ramp going up.
The second is the moving walkway at the load/unload area. The third is the steep moving ramp going down.
The moving walkway at the load/unload area can be slowed or stopped and I’ve seen that frequently.
I have seen the steep moving walkway stopped and have walked on it when it was stopped unexpectedly. The most common reason I’ve seen for it stopping is a slowdown in loading, leading to the loading area being full and no room for more people.
I’ve seen it slowed once, recently - a little boy parked his wheelchair at the bottom and was carried up.
We used to take our daughter on it when she was smaller; we held her standing up and let the moving ramp carry her up with us supporting her.
That worked OK, but stepping off when the ramp ends can be a tripping point.
The couple of times I’ve walked on it when the moving ramp was stopped, I was surprised how slippery it is. The ramp is steep and is made of metal - sort of like an escalator without steps.
I have seen people slip on it when it was stopped, so I personally think it would not be particularly safe to carry someone up or down if it was stopped. I would also be very hesitant to have someone walking up or down if they were concerned with slipping, tripping or steadiness.

If you want to ride, I’d suggest having a member of your group go up (and down) enough before you that they can help you with a steadying hand at the end of the moving walkway - that was what we did with my MIL, who was a little unsteady (and has vertigo with steep ramps, escalators or stairs).
Then at boarding, you can let the CM know you need the moving walkway slowed or stopped. The control for that is right at the boarding area.

Yes, it was late October/early November.
I'am from Europe and know the Wish-Organisation, but didn't know, that there are organisations like that for Adults (persons obviously over 20).

For Peter Pan at DisneyWorld you can go to the attraction right before the park closes and ask if you can be the last ride of the night. My oldest daughter was never turned down. They stop the ride once everyone is off. They don't stop that ride because peopme would be suspended in air and in the event it didn't restart evacuation would be a nightmare.

I believe you saw a vlog of Peter Pan’s Flight from Disneyland. It does come to a stop for loading and unloading at Disneyland and has a transfer seat with a door that opens wider.
Umm, at Disneyland, there is no door for Peter Pan's Flight, but yes, the vehicle does come to a stop.

Peoplemover has 3 things that move and it is listed a ‘must be ambulatory’ attraction.
The first is the steep moving ramp going up.
The second is the moving walkway at the load/unload area. The third is the steep moving ramp going down.
The moving walkway at the load/unload area can be slowed or stopped and I’ve seen that frequently.
I have seen the steep moving walkway stopped and have walked on it when it was stopped unexpectedly. The most common reason I’ve seen for it stopping is a slowdown in loading, leading to the loading area being full and no room for more people.
I’ve seen it slowed once, recently - a little boy parked his wheelchair at the bottom and was carried up.
We used to take our daughter on it when she was smaller; we held her standing up and let the moving ramp carry her up with us supporting her.
That worked OK, but stepping off when the ramp ends can be a tripping point.
The couple of times I’ve walked on it when the moving ramp was stopped, I was surprised how slippery it is. The ramp is steep and is made of metal - sort of like an escalator without steps.
I have seen people slip on it when it was stopped, so I personally think it would not be particularly safe to carry someone up or down if it was stopped. I would also be very hesitant to have someone walking up or down if they were concerned with slipping, tripping or steadiness.
Peoplemover can be stopped, but they only tend to do this if there are mitigating circumstances and there are few people on the ride. You could also use the same technique as the PP suggests for Peter Pan.

Umm, at Disneyland, there is no door for Peter Pan's Flight, but yes, the vehicle does come to a stop.
Ok, if you want to be technical, I probably should have said ‘doorway’ or ‘access point‘ or ‘side’ not door.
It has a transfer assist pirate ship, with an area that can be opened to make the way in wider and easier to transfer. That little opening area was what I was referring to as a door. This is from Rolling With the Magic.
61F57EB1-DFF9-433B-B2CD-68B492B9F89A.jpeg

Ok, if you want to be technical, I probably should have said ‘doorway’ or ‘access point‘ or ‘side’ not door.
It has a transfer assist pirate ship, with an area that can be opened to make the way in wider and easier to transfer. That little opening area was what I was referring to as a door. This is from Rolling With the Magic.
View attachment 469890
Interesting, I have been on this ride many, many times with people in wheelchairs and I have never once seen this used, so honestly, I had no idea this was even available.

Also, something new that they have started doing at Peter Pan at Disneyland (not 100% sure when it started) is if you can handle the last turn in the queue and going through a turnstile, they now have an entrance that merges you in with the regular queue, leaving the alternate entrance free for those that truly need it, reducing wait times for both those who can handle a very short (probably 3 minutes or less) part of the queue and for those who can't. It also helped to reduce the regular wait times as well, apparently in the end it made the ride capable of more people per hour, which they weren't fully expecting to the degree it happened.

Interesting, I have been on this ride many, many times with people in wheelchairs and I have never once seen this used, so honestly, I had no idea this was even available.

Also, something new that they have started doing at Peter Pan at Disneyland (not 100% sure when it started) is if you can handle the last turn in the queue and going through a turnstile, they now have an entrance that merges you in with the regular queue, leaving the alternate entrance free for those that truly need it, reducing wait times for both those who can handle a very short (probably 3 minutes or less) part of the queue and for those who can't. It also helped to reduce the regular wait times as well, apparently in the end it made the ride capable of more people per hour, which they weren't fully expecting to the degree it happened.

Wow, how did you find that info out? Is there a link you could share?

Wow, how did you find that info out? Is there a link you could share?
No link, how did I find that out? By riding the ride and experiencing it, well sort of. I needed the alternate entrance, as I can't twist through the turnstile (if they got rid of that, it would work for me), but another wheelchair party arrived at the same time as us and they were capable of using it.

So I asked the cast members about it and they told me how awesome and helpful it has been.

Again, I have to reiterate that this is the Disneyland version. Essentially it creates a mini FP queue without FP, just for those with disabilities that have return times.

This is interesting. My DD and I were riding Peter Pan a couple of years ago and using her stroller as a wheelchair. Upon seeing me lift DD out of her stroller at the ride entrance, the CM at Peter Pan asked me if I’d like him to stop the ride (this was at about 6pm the week of Thanksgiving). I said no, we could manage it, but now I find it interesting that a CM offered to stop it for us since it sounds like they usually don’t do this. I know we’ve been on the ride a few times and had it come to a stop. When we’ve walked off at the end, I’ve noticed wheelchairs and always assumed the ride had stopped for wheelchair users, but it sounds like maybe the ride stopping was for some other reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter