Perk predictions,anyone have any?????

LeCras said:
Just to let you know, the room keys which give you FP access to the rides at Universal are scanned every time they are used, so there is definitely a need for a re-programming of the back-end as far as FP's are concerned. The scanning also keeps track of where the card has been used previously - I got a few comments from CM's when going on ROTM for the fifth and sixth time the same morning... :blush:

Charlotte

Gosh, I didn't know that. When we went, we only spent one night and had one full day at IOA. All we had to do was show the CMs our key, and they'd wave us through. However, it was a pretty slow day there, so maybe that's why we didn't get asked to scan our key. :confused3 I just assumed that's how the front of the line pass worked there all the time. Sorry about that. :blush:

NMW said:
Well, my family may not be a "typical" DVC family (whatever that is). However, we are doing our first DVC trip in about 23 days. We plan to spend exactly the same. I don't understand why I would spend differently on our annual trips as DVC members than I did as paying guests at the BC or POLY? We don't cook on vacation. My husband and I would hate that, but that's just us. :) In fact, I was surprised to read so many people cook real meals on vacation. I quess maybe I'm more of a "hotel" type vacationer. Although we do plan to have the driver stop to fill the fridge with with soda, beer, milk, juice and wine. :) So, maybe I'll spend a little less at Disney by not buying those items in the little gift shops. I guess I also will not spend $20-30 on laundry since we will have a washer and dryer. But, really how much less is that? Not much.

We plan $2200 for food and drinks and $1500 for things like gifts, tips, the limo guy, etc. I don't understand why owning DVC would change our yearly trips. :confused3 I really hope it doesn't, because I love our trips!

We would love to have the meal plan as a perk!!! I'm really, really hoping we get one. :)
My kind of traveler...except, we drag our dirty laundry back home...distracts me from my mourning period @ the end of our vacation. Now, if we'd pony up the points for a 1 BR I could cook & do laundry on my vacation.:eek:

Maybe I don't "get it" but I really don't see staying @ DVC as being any different from the 2 condos vacations/year we usually take. At the beach, I bring cereal/sandwich fixings & snacks from home. Since we fly to FL, I certainly won't be packing food nor do I want to stop, shop for & lug groceries around. I do make an exception @ WDW as my DS is addicted to the Chip & Dale pretzels...we usually bring several bags back with us.LOL The on-site convenience stores are certainly no bargin & the delivery service prices don't thrill me either. We're not much for breakfast, like to eat a large, early lunch and a big dinner...then, we're too stuffed for night-time snacking.

Dining out is one of our favorite activities and we incorporate the cost into our budget (studio & eating 2 meals out a day vs 1 BR & cooking most meals)...different strokes etc. We've been following the same routine for years, not going to change @ this point.

As for spending money on souveniers, I jokingly told my usual gift recipients that it was going to be a "Disney Christmas" and that I was going to buy their presents @ WDW...nearly everyone thought it was a great idea...and gave me many suggestions. :cool1:

Patty3 said:
I would really like this as well!

Dining plan for me too! :teeth:
or the DDE benefit would be nice too.

oh and the free internet access would be great...

where's my wishing star again? :rolleyes:

tjkraz said:
One final thought: What would your feelings be if Disney announced that they were providing unlimited FastPasses (or front of the line access) to Concierge guests only? One could certainly argue that those paying top dollar for concierge-level accommodations are among the most dedicated, free-spending groups to which Disney caters. Would the folks posting on this thread still think unlimited FP is a great benefit if they were excluded from it in favor of another group?
Is that really any different than the discount we get on AP's that concierge guests don't get?

DVC now makes up close to 10% of the guests at WDW since the addition of SSR. What happens if DVC grows to 15-20% with additional DVC's being opened?

Remember that WDW only books approx. 90% of their rooms and needs to throw free food and discounted rates at people to even get those numbers.

Eventually we might see FP perks given to many different segments.

I'd love to see a menu of perks on our TV's(special parade seating, FP, Cindy breakfast ressies, free meal, etc.) that you would choose from. You'd have a certain amount of points to use based on how long you stay at a certain resort, then get to spend those points on whatever you want to choose(FP might be the cheapest, 50% discounted tour would cost more, etc.). I love choice, thats what makes WDW such a great place to visit.

SoCalKDG said:
I'd love to see a menu of perks on our TV's(special parade seating, FP, Cindy breakfast ressies, free meal, etc.) that you would choose from. You'd have a certain amount of points to use based on how long you stay at a certain resort, then get to spend those points on whatever you want to choose(FP might be the cheapest, 50% discounted tour would cost more, etc.).

That would be great! But considering the current limitations with seeing any DVC info online (or otherwise), I won't be holding my breath.

I've always wondered why WDW doesn't have some type of in-room TV option for accessing guest spending and options/info. It became fairly standard at most major hotels years (decades?) ago. Are Disney's and DVC's computer systems THAT antiquated? Or do they just have sucky IT departments?

DisFlan

SoCalKDG said:
Is that really any different than the discount we get on AP's that concierge guests don't get?

Yes, because the AP discount has a financial motivation on Disney's part. The AP discount is designed to encourage more trips by DVC members and/or encourage members to spend more days in the parks. Prior to the discount, many long-time members posting on this forum had expressed that there are many times they don't even go into the parks during their DVC stays. With the AP discount, that ticket media looks much more attractive, encouraging secondary purchases like dining in a theme park restaurant or souvenir shopping.

DVC now makes up close to 10% of the guests at WDW since the addition of SSR. What happens if DVC grows to 15-20% with additional DVC's being opened?

I'm guessing we are closer to 7-8% on average, particularly when you factor in off-site guests and local residents. And it's taken 15 years to reach that level. I think we have a long time to wait before DVC members are that significant in number, and that's assuming DVC sales don't reach a saturation point first.

Remember that WDW only books approx. 90% of their rooms and needs to throw free food and discounted rates at people to even get those numbers.

That actually plays into my point. Why would Disney risk alienating those folks by creating longer ride wait times simply to provide a "free perk" to DVC members....members who have ALREADY paid their thousands of dollars and are committed to returning again and again and again?

Eventually we might see FP perks given to many different segments.

I don't disagree with that one bit. But my point is that any changes to FastPass need to be carefully thought-out and implemented throughout the system. Simply throwing free FastPass coupons at DVC members would be a poor idea.

DrTomorrow said:
There are several reasons behind my premise that people's spending decreases as the number of DVC stays increases.
1. Food. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'cook'. We don't 'cook' on vacation, as in lots of pots, pans and potato peeling. However, we do pick up some things at Winn-Dixie for breakfast and lunch. It's only DW and I, but try this: we have coffee and pastries in our room for breakfast every morning. That's what, $10 / day Disney doesn't get (and about $7 day in savings). We also pick up lunch meats, mustard, soft drinks, bread & chips for lunches. That's about $20 / day a Disney CS restaurant doesn't gt (and about $15 / day in savings). We rarely eat more than one or two dinners on-site; with a car, Outback, Pizza Hut, Applebee's, etc. is a better deal - and often, better food. That's upwards of $75 / day Disney doesn't get. And we did NONE of this when staying in a Disney resort room. So far, that's over $100 / day we no longer give Walt.

2. Souvenirs. We always pick up one 'cheesy' souvenir everytime we travel, and we're already running out of room on our shelf :rotfl2: . I guess that after the 10th, 15th or 20th trip, most people just don't need any more Poohs, Eeyores or mouse-ear antenna caps. Now, maybe as rabid Disney fans, some of you do - but that leads me into a key point:

DVC DIS OWNERS ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF DVCers IN GENERAL NOR RESORT GUESTS IN GENERAL!!! Sorry to shout, but so many people forget this. By definition, we are in the top 5% (1% ???) of fanatical Disney guests. We actually take time out of our day to post & read the DIS - because we enjoy it! Don't get me wrong - I think that DIS folks are some of the finest people I've met. Yea, us!!! But we are not the same as the vast majority of DVC owners who don't even understand 11/7, add-ons, banking & borrowing - some folks even let DVC point expire, unused, unbanked and unrented :rolleyes1 . Think about it; when some is talking Disney in the office or at practice or at the store - who is it that everyone else turns to for the answer because "S/he is a real Disney nut" (and has more Disney stuff on their desk than anyone else)?

So, I'll grant you that some DIS DVCers probably spend more than resort guests trip after trip after trip. But, on the whole, with our kitchens, our exisiting souvenirs and a gradual " been there, bought / eaten / rode that" attitude, I don't see DVCers as cash cows once they've paid off their points.

IMHO - YMMV

PS to NMW: I bet that you'll find yourself able to have just as wonderful a trip as you always do with at a slightly lower cost. Hey, then you can buy more points! :rotfl2:

That may be true (about the points) :) . However, Neither DH or I would be happy eating frozen waffles or pop tarts in our villa, and then for us, it wouldn't be worth it.

Dining at Disney is a very large part of our vacation. We spend weeks narrowing down the choices of favorites, must-dos, and new places (like Blue Zoo and Raglan Road). We eat table service breakfasts (mostly character) and dinners at nice places every day and grab counter service or snacks for lunch. There are so many awesome choices, I can't imagine eating off-site. The dining is one of the main reasons we love the Epcot resorts so much. We already have some dinner choices for our Oct 2006 trip planned! Maybe I spend too much time on the restuarant board! LOL :wizard:

What was the original question? Oh yeah, perk predictions.

Here's my prediction........

We keep the AP discount for at least another year,

They add the DDE perk for DVC members,

and

designate a "DVC Member Only" turnstile at each of the park gates.

(OK, just kidding on the last one)

SpoonfulofSugar said:
Would love to get some kind of perk involving Fast Passes!!!!

i would love to have it also i emailed dvc about it years ago they got back to me and said they would look into it i know they probaly did nothing. i even posted on here not too long ago maybe a couple of months asking if we should get extra fast passes, most people didnt agree with me. i think we dvc members should get extra fast passes for the day. say example if your a dvc member staying at a dvc resort you should be able to get extra fast passes, say have another card to use. probaly never happen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter