People with pets - what do you do with them when traveling?

My dog had the run of the house and a potty spot in the basement so we left him alone for a couple of nights and came home to find he had shut himself in the bathroom. After that he was always boarded which he enjoyed. He died and I used to think I wouldn't get another one because of the expense of boarding and the vet but I really miss having a pet and am pretty sure by the end of next year we'll have another one.

We board our dog with a really nice established kennel. He just goes off with the caregiver and doesn't look back. They have play time with other doggies which they say he loves. They will also give meds to your pet which is good for us as our dog is older now and on some meds. It is a family run kennel right now. However, they are selling their house and kennel which makes me nervous. They said the same people will be running and working at the kennel. I would hate to have to find another one as my dog is a rescue and has anxiety. This kennel works well for him.

I have a part time dog (she is my daughter’s, but I keep her at least 3 days and nights a week because my daughter works 12 hour shifts), so I guess I’m the babysitter! When we go out of town, she usually stays with my parents. She has panic attacks when she’s not with us. It’s sad.

I also have cats. Here lately, I have had someone from Rover.com come by and check on them and that has gone very well. They are self-sufficient.

I have 2 indoor cats and so does my neighbor. We cat sit for each other as in feed them, play with them, etc. It works out really well and I don't worry about them which is huge!! :dogdance:

We just got a dog last month. First dog ever. Right now my kid’s are 20 and 14. My son lives at home while going to college so if we go away without the kids they take care of the dog (which we are doing next month). If we go with just DD my son takes care of her. If we all go away we will either have her stay with my aunt or mom. Last option is a kennel. But she’s very nervous so I don’t know about the kennel.

We have a cat and we have relatives come over. Our cat would not do well boarding or traveling to someone else's house. Once a day for his wet food (dry food is an automatic feeder) and ensuring enough water is available (stashed around the house) along with litter every couple of days.

Same as @BrianL our cat is looked after by a friend or relative who lives about a mile away. Our cat stays indoors so the friend just stops by before and after work to put some food in her dish, and give her a little scratch on the head. We're seldom gone for more than a week, and usually more like 4-5 days. She seems pretty happy to see us when we return home:)
With Apollo he has thresholds.

Gone too little and he's just mad at you for leaving. He'll turn his back on you and be moody.

Gone too long and he's a clingy, louder than normal, pestering cat for several days before reverting to more of a moody mood (presumably for punishing us for leaving as he remembers that part :lmao:) and finally returning to normal

Gone just right and he's the mixture of the two :rotfl2:

We still give him all the lovin' when we come home though even if he's in the mad mood :laughing:

With Apollo he has thresholds.

Gone too little and he's just mad at you for leaving. He'll turn his back on you and be moody.
Does Apollo start to get suspicious when the suitcases come out for packing? Our cat knows right away that trouble is brewing when the luggage comes out.:rotfl2: She's relieved when it's DW going on a trip and I'm staying home with her.:cat:

Does Apollo start to get suspicious when the suitcases come out for packing? Our cat knows right away that trouble is brewing when the luggage comes out.:rotfl2: She's relieved when it's DW going on a trip and I'm staying home with her.:cat:
OMG yes! and he knows and gets all moody then; cats def. pick up on things.

This was last year when Aaron was traveling back and forth between CA and home. This was actually when Aaron was home! He has his stink face on like "no you can't leave again and imma gonna sit here so you can't"

This was him when we were packing to do our short trip out to CA to apartment hunt for Aaron last year and he's like "no these are my packing cubes and you can just go put them back where you found them you can't leave" thing going:

I've got other pictures but it's a common theme--suitcase or packing cubes and he knows something is up. I've actually taken to using one of the spare bedrooms (which actually has all the suitcases and packing cubes, etc in it anyways) and packing a bulk of things in there keeping the door closed and then bringing it out late. That way he doesn't get too moody too early.

He def. appreciates it more if it's just one of us leaving but he'll still stake claim to your suitcase :laughing:

When we traveled as a family the dog went to the kennel. The cat got extra food, water and litter boxes. My mom would come by every few days to check on him. When I started to go solo my daughters would keep on things.
Both the dog & cat are gone now. And travel is why I haven’t gotten the orange & white kitty I want.

Admittedly I'm not cat person, but that is one handsome boy....he looks like he means business!
Aww thank you :love: and yes he does typically mean business lol.

This was a few weeks after we adopted him:

This was several weeks later:

His varied facial expressions and big personality didn't come until later. Here in the photos above he was just quirky haha.

We are really struggling with this right now!

Normally we always boarded with our vet. Our two young cats did great there. Now we lost one of our little guys and we switched to an all cat vet for a myriad of reasons.

Walnut (5 yrs old) has pancreatitis (chronic) and has flares, so I'm nervous to leave! Our vet says they do boarding for cats who are medication (he is), but strongly suggest to try and leave the cat at home with someone to watch as it's less stressful for cat. He would be there 9 nights, which is how long we normally go, so he's done it before.

My sister can stay with Walnut (9 nights) and we would hire a vet tech to come everyday to give meds and check on him, but I'm afraid if a pancreatitis flare starts she won't catch it quick enough - (there are subtle signs which I can tell her about but...)
I also don't want her to have to shoulder that kind of responsibility.
He might not even have a flare!

So, I don't know. Do I convince vet he needs to stay there? Chance him staying home with my sister and a vet tech coming each day?

It's kind of ruining the trip, making me want to cancel!
This is similar to my feelings with our 14.5 year old dog. Makes you dread the trip. If you kennel them then you worry the entire time. And we started to bring him and it dampers the vacay. Ugghh. No more pets for us after this. Not for a good while anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter