People Mover/Rocket Rods Tracks at DLR

Pollyanna652

Disneyland Vet ~~~ WDW Newbie!
I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if this question has been answered -- I did a search, but couldn't find any comments about it.

Does anyone know what DLR plans to with the the old People Mover/Rocket Rods tracks?

Thanks!

Yeah, last I heard there were some rumors that they were going to remove the track and possibly also move Astro Orbiter because it causes this massive clog/ at the entrance to Tomorrowland. That was when they were talking about a major Tomorrowland overhaul a year or so ago. Heard nothing since. However, I think there's ZERO chance they re-install a people mover of some sort if that's what you are hoping for.

A maintenance guy at the GCH told me they were going to take out not only the PPLMVR track but also Autopia and Nemo's Subs and put in a Star Wars-themed area.

A maintenance guy at the GCH told me they were going to take out not only the PPLMVR track but also Autopia and Nemo's Subs and put in a Star Wars-themed area.
Hey!
So according to various credible sources over at MiceChat in particular, that was the plan. Then the designs changed, so they looked around for a new location to host the land. Toontown caught the eye of the Imagineers (and Ops) as a place in need of improvement that a Star Wars Land total rebuild would work great in.
So now plans call for the destruction of Mickey and Minnie's homes, and all their friend's Houses too, to make way for Endor (or whatever they decide to put in there, we've got no idea).

For now the Subs have been saved. That's valuable real estate though. I've seen a couple people say there's interest in putting something Elsa in there...

Last edited:
I hope they don't remove the subs. It may not be WDW's 20,000LUtS, but it still holds nostalgia for me!

I hope they don't remove the subs. It may not be WDW's 20,000LUtS, but it still holds nostalgia for me!
And this is where I like to pull out the Marty Sklar quote The Parks are not a mueseum.

The location of Astro Orbitor is not only terrible. It also made a fun attraction Dumbo-like boring. The best thing about the Rocket Jets was that the platform was above the People Mover. The ride was faster and you got a nice view of everything below. I'm so glad they haven't ruined this attraction at MK by doing something similar.

When they eventually redo Tomorrowland (again), I have a great spot for Astro Orbitor to go. They can move it to the second level of the Space Mountain complex, on top of the Magic Eye Theater. There is more than enough room up there, and the ride would look really cool with SM in the background. Structurally, I'm pretty sure this would work. But they can also reinforce the theater, or get rid of it altogether to accomplish this. There's also plenty of room for a queue for both rides.

As far as Toontown becoming a Star Wars Land, I've stated my opinion before that this is not a good idea. Toontown closes early every night when there are fireworks. Spending all of that money for a land that won't be open all park hours is a pretty lame idea. Although, if they were to connect the existing Toontown space with Big Thunder Ranch, to create one big land, I could see an Endor-type forest area back over there. Still, it would make more sense to me if they gutted most of Tomorrowland for a Star Wars project.

The location of Astro Orbitor is not only terrible. It also made a fun attraction Dumbo-like boring. The best thing about the Rocket Jets was that the platform was above the People Mover. The ride was faster and you got a nice view of everything below. I'm so glad they haven't ruined this attraction at MK by doing something similar.

When they eventually redo Tomorrowland (again), I have a great spot for Astro Orbitor to go. They can move it to the second level of the Space Mountain complex, on top of the Magic Eye Theater. There is more than enough room up there, and the ride would look really cool with SM in the background. Structurally, I'm pretty sure this would work. But they can also reinforce the theater, or get rid of it altogether to accomplish this. There's also plenty of room for a queue for both rides.

As far as Toontown becoming a Star Wars Land, I've stated my opinion before that this is not a good idea. Toontown closes early every night when there are fireworks. Spending all of that money for a land that won't be open all park hours is a pretty lame idea. Although, if they were to connect the existing Toontown space with Big Thunder Ranch, to create one big land, I could see an Endor-type forest area back over there. Still, it would make more sense to me if they gutted most of Tomorrowland for a Star Wars project.
Well we are coming time for it. It's already been nearly two decades lol. We've heard rumors that Rocket Jets, Astro Orbiter, and other international versions could be replaced by a new jet pack ride they've developed. It's going into Shanghai first, then they'll see about bringing everywhere. Intersting. Hmm, they could also just put it back where it was before for nostalgia's sake. Though they've gutted that building.

One thing to keep in mind about the Fireworks. Right now they're installing a huge array of projection technologies across all of Disneyland. This will be introduced in the Disneyland Forever Show. Once they've started up the projections, fireworks will be used more rarely allowing the Toontown area increased operating hours.

Frankly, I hope we see some pushback from this no firework policy...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter